Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_park80

Need design advice for bathroom remodel

Laurie
last year

Remodeling this bathroom. Large jetted tub, steps in front of it, and "platform" circled in red in photo will be demolished. New walk-in shower will be installed where tub is now. New shower will have linear/ transom window installed at top on far, exterior wall. Window shown in photo will be removed and replaced with drywall. Question is what to do with "empty" space (in red circle). Contractor says I need something there. He suggested a makeup vanity, but I rarely use makeup and when I do, I wouldn't sit down to apply it. He then suggested custom open shelves on which I can put towels, storage baskets, and other decor, but I am not keen on that idea either. Items on open shelves collect dust. I don't need any more storage space since I'll have two separate linen closets in the bathroom when it's finished. I thought of a small tree. Any ideas to fill that "empty" space, which will be approx. 3.5 ft. wide?

Comments (16)

• Karenseb
    last year

I would like a bench or small chair in that space.

Have an outlet installed nearby for sitting and blow drying your hair.

can you keep a smaller window there.

It might be nice for extra light.

Laurie thanked Karenseb
  • Susie .
    last year

I am wondering if you need to review the layout (floor plan) of the entire bathroom. Don’t want to be thinking about parts of the room in a vacuum. If you post a plan, there are many people here who will help you by poking holes in it and suggesting improvements (not my forte). Bathrooms and kitchens are expensive rooms and you want to get it right before you do the work.

Laurie thanked Susie .
  • Shawna
    last year

Why remove a window? Are there others in the bathroom?

Laurie thanked Shawna
  • stellarceline
    last year

I would keep the window and add plants!

Laurie thanked stellarceline
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Shawna Rushford, Contractor suggested installing a new transom window the full width of shower inside the shower. If I kept the existing window, the shower would extend right up to the right side of the existing window. Existing window then wouldn’t be centered in its space and might look strange.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the proposed floor plan. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Another possible floor plan (option 2)

• Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Option 2 floor plan keeps existing window and doesn’t have new transom window in shower

• Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Emilyam819, thank you. Option 2 is less expensive, and if it looks good, I’m all for keeping costs down. Linen Closet already exists. Additional Linen Closet will replace the current stall shower in the water closet room. I’ve always felt that there was something “off” about the bathroom layout, but didn’t know what it was. You identified it: that the Linen Closet isn’t even with the other walls. I like the idea of a hamper. Design Interior South suggested a base cabinet with a pull-out or tilt-out hamper. I am leaning toward that idea now.

• roarah
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would do a cushioned bench with storage under it in place of shelves. I use the cushioned bench outside my shower far more than my shower bench.

Laurie thanked roarah
  • Karenseb
    last year

I am not a fan of option 2. The space between the shower and master closet doesn't seem spacious, plus you would be facing a wall that housed the shower head and controls when you enter the bathroom.

I am not understanding how two linen closets are going to work. I would remove the existing one and if you need more storage, put in a tall cabinet outside the bathroom facing the shower (to the left of the window)

I really like Roarah's bench storage solution.

Laurie thanked Karenseb
  • Karenseb
    last year

Another idea to save money, would be option one with a slightly smaller shower in length, say 54 inches long or as far as you can go till you are near the existing window. Increase the depth from 42 inches to 48 inches. I'd still remove the existing closet.

Laurie thanked Karenseb
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Roarah, thank you for that suggestion. I'm so glad that I posted this request for advice.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    last year

Karenseb, thank you for pointing out that Option 2 would mean facing a wall when entering the bathroom. I hadn't focused on that at all.

• emilyam819
    last year

Yes, good point. Allow me to change my vote to the shape of the shower in Option 1, but no modification to the windows. Also, the existing linen closet is just so Tetris- like. The new linen closet should open from the bathroom. Remember to plan for towel bars, hooks, the bench, trash, laundry.

Laurie thanked emilyam819