Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

What type of contractor to replace porch columns?

debbie1000
last year
last modified: last year

Our home is 35 years old, on a concrete slab. We have two porch columns in the back that are rotting but I don't know what specific type of contractor replaces these. I think they rotted over the years from being over zealous in pressure washing the concrete slab with chemicals/bleach. The current post is about 4 inches square.

I will try to add photos as a comment.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    last year

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

A skilled handyman (or handywoman) can do it. It’s not complicated.

• fnmroberts
    last year

Agree with previous posters, most experienced handymen or homeowners can replace these. To prevent wicking mousture I would make certain the fresh end-cut is sealed prior to installation. Were it mine, a stand-off base to elevate above any potential standing water used too.

• kudzu9
    last year

When it rains/snows the moisture migrates to the bottom and the rain hitting the concrete around the base also splashes back onto that part of the post. The bottom of the post stays wet and deteriorates. That doesn't look like a pressure treated post, which I would recommend in an exposed location like that. Also, is that post even attached to the slab with a steel post bracket, or is it just sitting in direct contact with the concrete? If so, that's another no-no which also hastens rotting. If I were having that replaced I'd get a pressure treated post, I'd have the uncut end of the post at the bottom (so you wouldn't have an unprotected cross section), and I'd have a bracket installed that would support the post bottom at least an inch or two above the top of the slab. You need a base like this:

Or this:

• ci_lantro
    last year

The cut end grain of wood sitting on concrete is a big no-no. You are very lucky that the posts have lasted 35 years. End grain soaks up water by capillary action--which is how the live tree moved moisture from the roots and spread it through the canopy. End grain is like a cluster of open end straws, wicking moisture.

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! They currently have the type of steel brackets in the second photo and they are rusted. I would prefer to go with a more specialized contractor rather than a handyman; one of the posts is under a very tall part of our house. Would a roofer do this? This is in FL and I'm sure roofers are still extremely busy.

• kudzu9
    last year

You don't need a roofer, and I doubt most roofers would be interested in such a job: the repair does not involve doing anything to your roof.. All that is needed is someone competent to put in place a temporary support post nearby to bear the weight while the bad post is removed and replaced. This is basic stuff, not brain surgery..

• Stax
    last year

What kudzu9 said. Lose the notion that a roofer is required....