Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luuleey_o

Converting 1 bathroom to 2 bathrooms

Lale finch
last year
last modified: last year

Hi , I have one big bathroom plus small closet that I don't need . I am trying to make two bathrooms, One for my daughter and one for me. I have attached the layout and measurement of my existing bathroom with closet together. I appreciate any help.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Sorry not helping at all We need to see aproper to scale plan with the plumbing marked , some info as to how you plan to run another toilet where windows and doors are . If you plan to remove a clset how does that work? A to scale plan on graph paper works well Post it here in a comment just like you did the first one the do not start another post all pics questions and answers will be on this post. You also need to name the spaces .Moving or adding toilets is an expensive job and so you need to aslo tell us if there is access to the plumbing .

• coray
    last year

Looks very tight, imo.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You need FEET AND INCHES, a much better drawing and it must include the adjacent spaces

At this point? You have not enough with your bath, and a closet.

More info, better drawing, feet and inches ( USA , sorry )

• User
    last year

Not enough room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Could you share a shower and have two separate toilet/sink areas?

My sister did this with her 2 daughters - each had their own space for dressing and keeping their things, but they used one central shower/tub that was accessible from both dressing areas.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Here is the conversion

• nickel_kg
    last year

Still hard to figure out possibilities ... can you add where the current fixtures are? Is there any possibility of moving the walls, or are your bold lines the absolute maximum?

And questions: how small are you willing to go for vanities, tub, shower? Are you willing to do a shared shower, for instance? Or even make this into a fully shared area, what Americans often call a "jack and jill" bathroom?

• artemis78
    last year

Assuming you can move the fixtures wherever you need them to be, you can definitely do this. They won't be super spacious bathrooms, but 6'x6' and 5'x8' bathrooms are both pretty common sizes in older homes in the U.S., and that's basically what you have. Our main bathroom is the same size as the one on the right--a 60" x 30" tub fits fine and leaves room for a 36" vanity with the basic layout Lorraine has below. For the one on the left, I'd flip the toilet and sink so that you open the door to the sink rather than to the toilet, and do a 30" vanity. That leaves a 41" x 41" square in the corner, which is enough space to fit a 36x36 neo angle shower. You can Google 6'x6' bathrooms and get other variations--it is a tight but common size.

Lale finch thanked artemis78
  • palimpsest
    last year

You have enough room for what Lorraine has shown, a classic 6x6 3/4 on the left, and a couple inches extra for a classic 5x7 on the right, and you need the extra inches on the right because of the door. But you have enough even if your local area requires 18" on center (36") for the toilet instead of 15".

Lale finch thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO until we get a better drwing and answers to our questions we are stumped. In the drawing above the 2 toilets are going to be a real issue.

• Lale finch
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your feed back. Lorraine Leroux thank your for your drawing. I liked and my neighbor also suggested the same. I am in middle of planning now.

Once I got the exact drawing , I will share with you all.

Thank you again

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Share a shower or forget it: )!2 x 12..find a foot.

• artemis78
    last year

OP, I would just add the caveat that Houzz tends to lean towards large/luxury homes--the vast majority of U.S. homes (and certainly homes in other parts of the world) have modestly sized baths, and your space more than accommodates two baths of a standard size. Code in most parts of the U.S. requires 30" of space for a toilet and either 21" or 24" of clearance in front of it, a 30" diameter circle minimum size for a shower, and 30" center to center for drains/plumbing. You can meet all of these requirements with some room to spare (though of course depending on what country you're in, check to see how that compares to your local code requirements). A 60" x 30" bathtub was standard in American homes for generations, and a 36" x 36" shower is perfectly adequate, if not spacious. It's nice to have a very large shower or freestanding tub if you have the room, but certainly not necessary, and here I'd definitely prioritize having two separate bathrooms over those features.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last year

artemis 78 is right. The bathrooms will be small, but there is enough room. You obviously need to confirm conformity to local codes and the feasibility of moving toilet stacks, but it looks doable.

• palimpsest
    last year

A jack and jill bathroom that just shares doors is bad enough, but a jack and jill with a pass through shower means that this is limited to two siblings of the same gender, and they might as well be using the same bathroom if one is comfortable using the toilet while the other is in the shower. Quite honestly I don't know that most siblings even of the same gender will poop in same bathroom while someone is taking a shower and this shower is in Both bathrooms. It certainly would not be a good bathroom for two siblings of different genders.

At least with one "standard" bathroom and one small 3/4 bath the boy sibling could be given the bedroom with the shower and the girl sibling the full bath. Or vice versa if that's the preference.

Entire families lived with one bathroom the size of the larger one of the pair here, for decades. These will certainly suffice for one-at-a-time attached to a single bedroom use.