Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
familypast

Kitchen & Breakfast Nook Remodel

Debra Patek
last year
last modified: last year

I could really use some help figuring out how to remodel my kitchen and breakfast nook. A while back, we refaced the kitchen cabinets, but I'm still not happy with them. Now, I want to replace the countertops and cabinets, and I'd love to have taller upper cabinets. We're thinking about the following ideas:

1. Adding more cabinetry to the breakfast nook area (opposite the bay window) and putting in a wet bar.
  2. Moving the stove to the wall near the dining room (or another spot that works better).
  3. Either getting rid of the island or making it smaller. If we remove it, maybe we could have a peninsula with seating between the kitchen and breakfast nook.
  4. Switching out the fridge for a counter-depth one and adding a mini fridge to the wet bar.

As you can see in the photos, the island is pretty big for the space we have. The smallest gap between the island and the walls or cabinets is 36 inches, and it's even tighter by the fridge. (We used to have a smaller fridge, but we had to replace it during the shutdown and couldn't find a better size. We also had to take out the cabinet above the fridge to make room).

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

• Would a wet bar look good on the wall in the breakfast nook? The wall isn't recessed, so the bar would just be standing there.
  • If the wet bar works, should we choose a smaller island or would a peninsula be better? (I'm also worried about having enough seating space between the peninsula and the kitchen table).
  • To keep the wet bar from taking up too much space, should I stick to base cabinets only and/or go for shallower cabinetry, like 20 inches deep?

When it comes to budget, I can't decide between two options: either going cheap (skipping the wet bar, keeping the current layout, shrinking the island, getting new countertops, using stock cabinets, and a counter-depth fridge) OR spending what I need to get the look I want (but not going overboard). I don't want something in between, spending a decent amount of $ on something I feel indifferent to.

Any other advice would be appreciated. As for design, I am looking for something that is on the contemporary side of transitional (or perhaps even contemporary). I would also replace the table and chairs with something more contemporary.

Thanks,

Debra

Comments (5)

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yeah, I think a u-shaped kitchen could be a good idea, with the stove against the dining room wall (with extractor fan!), and a peninsula, with seating only if you have enough space.

I would consider keeping the fridge. It sounds virtually new and it fits OK. But yes to cabinets up to the ceiling.

I'd say either keep the kitchen as is, or do something you're going to love, but within budget.

I'd skip the wet bar. I find them redundant and tacky. To me they look like misplaced kitchenettes. But it's a matter of taste. Instead, I'd put discreet floor-to-ceiling storage cabinets against that wall, and integrate a hidden door to the laundry room. Or leave that wall and the laundry door alone.

• HU-918119203
    last year

What's the use case for the wet bar? It seems like the only purpose would be to save you about 10 steps. That's not worth $15k to me if I had a somewhat limited budget.

Unless you're in love with the concept of the island, your space seems better suited to a peninsula. I would put the stove on the back wall, keep the sink where it is with DW on one side and garbage pull out on the other. I would eliminate the walk in pantry which blocks traffic and is not big enough to justify itself and replace it with a pull out pantry next to the fridge and cabinetry with a countertop you can set your groceries down on. Or do a full-height pantry across that space. Definitely do not like the current location of the stove - seems almost dangerous!

I think your first option would probably cost the $40k you don't want to spend to get a result you're not thrilled with - if not more. So I would try your best to get realistic estimates. "Shrinking" an island sounds cheap, but is expensive.

• User
    last year

^ agree with the comment about the pantry

• kandrewspa
    last year

I agree that having a peninsula instead of an island would be a good idea in your kitchen, and you do have enough room to move the range to the wall where the microwave is now. I don't know about a wet bar because that would entail running plumbing to that wall - do you really think you need a sink there? But having a bar/buffet on that wall doesn't seem like a bad idea. You already have something similar there, this would just be built in. As far as style, I suggest you keep in mind the overall style of your house when choosing the style of your kitchen unless this is your forever home. Your current door style is still the most popular one. You will be able to get a different counter and do something more interesting with the backsplash if that appeals to you. You can keep everything else simple for a more contemporary look. Are you interested in a color other than white for your cabinets? If you haven't already, compile a Houzz Ideabook of pictures you like to help refine your style.

Lutherville Upscale Downsize · More Info

French Place Remodel · More Info

Rockwood Colonial Larchmont · More Info

• Debra Patek
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, everyone. Lots of good suggestions. I like the ideas for the pantry area and also storage cabinets against the wall by the laundry. The wet bar was an afterthought due to the proximity to the plumbing (laundry and bathroom). What I really need is more storage space.

kandrewspa, I also like the idea of a splash of color, especially a blue or blue-green.