Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

Which Hydrangea would work best?

dianela7analabama
last year
last modified: last year

Hello everyone.

I have never posted on the hydrangea forum but have been reading some of your post for a few days now. I mostly post on the roses forum. My only success with hydrangeas are 4 Annabelle’s I have in a location that gets 4 hours of morning sun and bright light the rest of the day. My other experience with hydrangeas has been killing 5 Bloomstruck from lack of water on a super dry summer (hopefully will not happen again). My drive is surrounded by pine trees and the worse part is that it also has some cedars on the south side (lower and denser). I would love to have lots of hydrangeas filling the space inside the pines (any color would be fine, I specially love white). I planted 8 Bobo last week around my sculpture and then watched YouTube videos that said they needed lots of sun. I have moved them to more sunny locations at this point.

I have narrowed my options from reading this forum to:

1. Oakleaf (Ruby sleepers)
  2. Big leaf from the endless summer collection (we often get hard freezes after everything has new foliage here in north Alabama)
  3. Smooth hydrangea Incrediball since I love my Annabelle.

I am opening large holes and amending the soil. I think during the summer the sun is high enough there may be direct sun at midday but right now it seems to be dappled all day long at the center of the circle. I am sorry for such a long post. Most of my success as a rose gardener has been due to the gardeners from the gardenweb forums and I wanted to give you a good idea of what I am working with. Thank you for any advice and ideas you may offer. I am open to any other hydrangea that you think may work also.

Comments (19)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I am in zone 7b North Alabama. Huntsville/Birmingham are larger cities. Yes if the sun does shine on the directly in the middle of the day it would be around 1-2 hours max. Otherwise the pines would always be filtering some of the sun. I already drugged up holes and there aren’t really many roots at all in the area at the center which is around 20 feet away from the pines at the periphery. I do not have an irrigation system but will supplement with my water hose/sprinkler like the rest of my garden. We do not have a water shortage so I can water.

• luis_pr
    last year

All three are good choices for morning sun conditions. Oakleaf hydrangeas are more drought tolerant than the other hydrangeas and have a very nice fall foliage show. Incrediball is also familiar to you although I find smooth hydrangeas very summer heat sensitive here in hotter Dallas. As for Big Leaf Hydrangeas, you would do well with either the Endless Summer Collection, the Let's Dance Collection, the Stuff Collection or practically any rebloomer Big Leaf or Mountain Hydrangea. However, if the Big Leaf will have limited sun exposure in the morning, I would choose cultivars with shorter/shortest heights. Some new varieties include the ES Pop Star, the Tuff Stuff Top Fun and the Let's Dance Lovable & Sky View Hydrangeas

dianela7analabama thanked luis_pr
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

@luis_pr

Thank you very much.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Is endless summer less heat sensitive than smooth hydrangea?

• luis_pr
    last year

When I had them both in front of the house, smooth hydrangeas had more severe wilting episodes.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Dianela, I don’t know what type is best for your climate-hydrangeas pretty much take care of themselves here but did want to say there isn’t a huge difference between Annabelle and Incrediball, at least in my yard.

Yes Incrediball‘s blooms are a bit bigger but not drastically and if room was a concern I would pic one of the others, just because I like a variety.

Having said that, I have plenty of space so will always have both an Annabelle and an Incrediball

dianela7analabama thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

@oursteelers 8B PNW

Oursteelers my largest concern is the light. It seems Luis thinks I will have enough light under these trees for at least smooth, oak leaf or big leaf hydrangeas. As you can imagine I already tried roses and they were a no go. Have you ever grown paniculatas under trees like these or do they really need sun like roses? What I originally wanted was white wedding or Bobo but gave up after reading they need a lot of sun like roses. I just keep hearing all about these newer varieties taking more sun and but what I have is bright shade or dappled sunlight. Can they tolerate more sun or do they need more sun?

• luis_pr
    last year

You can grow paniculatas under those trees but paniculatas bloom at their best with full sun exposure (as long as the summers are not Texas harsh, hot and dry). In full but bright shade, the bloom sepals will turn green for extended amounts of times that could even include the complete growing season (Little Lime) with green only.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Luis for your post, that is what I wanted to know.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

I am glad Luis posted, I always plant in more shade than optimal for sun lovers and even sometimes more sun than the shade lovers would prefer. I’m always testing to put things where I want them and then will move later if need be. Tree roots are far more damaging than light requirements in my yard

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you oursteelers. I am struggling so much to make this new lake garden into anything pretty. I don’t know how to garden in shade. I am hopping hydrangeas and azaleas can help me because they are the shade plants I like best.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Can you grow camellias there?

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Oursteelers I think so. I have two currently there and they look well. I went to the garden center yesterday and bought 4 bloomstruck hydrangeas to try in the middle of the circle. I like camelias but they seem to be so slow growing I wanted something faster.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

They are WILDLY slow growing, aren’t they? But blooms often remind me of roses so I thought you might like them

• charles kidder
    last year

I think any hydrangea would do OK with 1-2 hours of mid day sun. As was stated above, they may not perform optimally, but good enough. I have an oakleaf in a similar situation and it does great.

I've grown to really like Invincibelle Spirit II. I think it's a sport of annabelle. The flowers in the pictures are pink, but mine are more white than pink. But they look nice. it does well in a lot of shade.

dianela7analabama thanked charles kidder
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @charles kidder

I have a lot of dappled shade all over my property. I appreciate the recommendations and will look for that variety on my next garden center trip to try. So far my new collection includes, some ruby slippers, a Pee wee oak leaf, a climbing hydrangea, an unknown variety of oak leaf I got as a gift from a nice neighbor, Bloom struck and the Bobos I originally bought for the pine tree project. Hopefully I will learn to be a hydrangea gardener without too many casualties.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Climbing hydranges are also super slow to start but once they take off they are gorgeous

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Oursteelers I can’t wait to see the climbing hydrangea climbing. I placed it on the Eastern side of my two story home on the chimney.