Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Spring Swap 2023 PLANTS - What are you bringing, what do you want?

Hi Everyone!

I suggested Arborwolf put in the swap thread to post there what you're bringing and what you might be hoping to get, but in thinking about it I decided that it might be easier to keep all the specific plant-related info in a separate thread--leaving the real swap thread open for info about who's coming and what food they're bringing, and info about other "swap necessities" like silverware/paper plates, etc--so I'm starting this separate thread to be used just for Plant Information!

Please post here when you know what you're planning/hoping to bring, and also say if you're willing to let people do Dibs or not--if you'll earmark plants specifically for them or if they need to wait till the day of the swap to try to grab them!

Also, if there's something you're hoping to find at the swap, or you hope somebody might have and be able to bring some something for you, post that here too! That doesn't mean that you'll get it--but if nobody knows you're looking for it you for sure won't get it!

I'll start with just this small offering!

I'll have at least two "batches" of Crocosmia 'Lucifer' corms! Corms are like and are planted like "bulbs," but they can be planted any time, so spring will work as well as any other time! I may have more than two, but won't know that till closer to the swap! 'Lucifer' is a stunning red-orange Crocosmia that blooms about mid-summer! I can't post pics anymore [thanks to google discontinuing Picasa and WebAlbums--thank you google!] but just search/duckduckgo it to see how amazing they are!

As posted on the Swap FAQs, I do not do Dibs anymore! The last time I did it got so confusing I wound up with a separate thread just trying to keep track of who wanted things I was bringing--and I still missed somebody completely--and I still feel bad about it to this day!!! I always try to bring at least two of the things I bring, and usually more than just two, so everybody gets a chance at them!

I hope to be potting up some things in the next few "warm days" and will be back to post them when I can!

Skybird

TH 04.06.23 @ 1455 MDT

Comments (18)

• arborwolf
    last year

okay

• catnohat
    last year

I'm starting to look around the garden at what is popping up! I love this time of year. I know for sure I have at least one lilac bush volunteer that needs a new home!

Brighton Shares The Harvest is planning to give away tomatoes in a bucket (and probably cucumbers also) at Summerfest. If anyone has extra tomato starts they would like to donate to the cause we would certainly appreciate them.

• Alyssa Schear
    last year

I’m not sure yet. I need to walk around after this snow melts. A lot of my plants are from you guys. I know I have some Skybird anemone. I could figure out how to divide some sterile comfrey or red thyme if anyone wants some. I have a lot of blue hyssop from one of you as well. Shasta daisy that also came from Skybird. I may have some ice plant if it made it through the winter. I don’t have much room left for plants. Interested in some good company, maybe some pond plants, herbs (have oregano) or the odd replacement for a plant that didn’t make it if there is anything pink or purple.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    last year

Hi All!

Here are the things I’m pretty sure, as of now, I’ll be bringing to the swap, but first I want to ask for something this time!

Daylilies! If anyone has any daylilies they could get a small start of for me I’d really appreciate it! I’m looking for any colors or any heights. They could be in pots, or, if someone doesn’t have time to pot them up, they could just be bare root, wrapped in moist paper, in a plastic bag. I’m asking for them because when I go on my spring trip I’ll be staying at a place owned by a Navajo woman and she loves daylilies! I only have a couple varieties and I’ve already given her starts of the ones I have so I’m hoping to find some other varieties!

Now to what I’ll be bringing to give away! These things are already in pots and are mostly looking fairly good, so I’m assuming they’ll continue to “look good” and I’ll have them for the swap! If anything suddenly goes south I may not be able to bring them!

I’ll have:

more than 2 of

Dendranthema ‘Hillside Pink Sheffield’ – 36" X 36 – Sun – salmon-pink – Sep-Oct – z5. (previously Dentranthema grandiflora) Blooms late, may (probably will) need protection from early freezes, attracts bees and butterflies like crazy! Spreads easily but near the surface so can be controlled by removing new shoots.

more than 2 of

Rudbeckia fulgida ‘Goldsturm’, Black Eyed Susan – 28" X 18" – Full sun – gold with brown – center – Jul-Sep – z4. Reliably hardy. Attracts butterflies. Blooms for a long time with regular deadheading.

more than 2 of

Stachys byzantina ‘Helene von Stein’, flowerless lamb’s ear – 12" X 18" – Sun – z4. Like regular (flowering) lamb’s ear, but the leaves are larger (also called “big ears”) and the foliage stays looking nice all year since they don’t spike to bloom! Xeric.

more than 2 of

Veronica spicata ‘Royal Candles’, Dwarf Spike Speedwell – 10-14” X 14” – Full to part sun – deep blue-purple – Jun-Aug – z3. Compact, showy spike Veronica. Cut to ground after first bloom for a second primary bloom, or deadhead primary flowers for continuing smaller secondary flowers. Easy to grow—few problems.

just 1

Allium tuberosum, Garlic Chives – 12-16” X 14” – Full Sun – lavender – z3. Garlic-onion flavor. Use the same as regular chives. Also make a nice ornamental plant. After blooming will form nice seedheads that can be used in dried arrangements, but will self seed if allowed to produce seed!

More than 2 bags of

Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ corms – 30" X 30-36" – Sun – red-orange – Jun-Jul – z5. Stunning red-orange flowers create a wonderful focal point. Spider mites can be a problem, especially if not watered regularly. To treat mites, thoroughly spray all foliage with inexpensive dishwashing soap mixed in water, being sure to wet both sides of leaves. Crocosmia grows from “corms” which gradually spread by increasing underground.

1 bag

“seedling size”—very small!—spring bulbs. Could be any/all of: crocus, Chionodoxa forbesii, Puschkinia scilliodes, Scilla siberica ‘Alba’. All of these reseed “prolifically” and I’ve started digging out the seedlings, trying to keep them from taking over my entire perennial beds! Many of them are VERY small and will take a couple years to start blooming--probably!

I’ll also have some German iris rhizomes – I don’t know how many, or the color or size/height yet

Remember, I don’t do dibs anymore, so please don’t ask to reserve something! With more than 2 of almost all of these things whoever may want one of them is very likely to be able to get one in the first rounds of picking!

Where is everybody??? Does anybody else have any idea of what they might be bringing yet?

If anyone has questions about anything I listed above, please ask!

Skybird

W 04.26.23 @ 1835

• arborwolf
    last year

There are still quite a few people who haven't emailed me their private contact info so I can send them the plant swap location information. Please do. Thanks. Arbor Wolf

• tomatoz1
    12 months ago

This was a hard winter for so many plants. We lost many perennials and iris, so now I have space for different flowers. Am looking forward to seeing everyone.

For the swap I’ll be bringing:

10 phlox

5 Pasque flowers

Mums, lots of little ones

1 red bee balm

3 bachelor buttons

1 or 2 Borage

(Got a late start on the tomatoes.)

2 Tiny tomatoes of each - Blue Ridge Mtn., Cherokee Purple, Cuostralee, German Johnson, Polish RL, Pale Perfect Purple RL, Purple Dog Creek, Rosedale, Thessaloniki, Rio Grande Verde tomatillo

Chile peppers - mostly doubles - Anaheim, Fresno, Pueblo

Sweet peppers - Giant Sweet Devil’s Horn, Holy Italian, Trontarolo

Superhot peppers - Bad Brains, Beast, Invidia Orange, Papa Dreadie, Danglers Ghost, Thors Red Hammer

Looking for coleus

Will be updating the list closer to the swap date if I find any more goodies.

• llgarden
    11 months ago

Skybird , how many daylily do you want? tall orange.

• Catnohat
    11 months ago

I hope to bring:

Pink yarrow

1 purple lilac bush

Purple larkspur

Small pink allium

1 chicks and hen

Hopefully a few other things.

• Catnohat
    11 months ago

I am looking for water wise perennials for a pollinator garden I'm putting in. If anyone has anything I might like I'm open to new plants!

Treebarb I would love a jalapeno and an eggplant if you're doing dibbs.

Tomatoz I would love a pasque flower please.

For food I will bring a cream cheese veggie pizza.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 months ago

I'll set aside one of each for you, Cat. You picked ones I had the most of!

• rockiesfanzone5co
    11 months ago

Hi everyone,

Last year was my first year at the swap and it was so much fun! I would love to come again this year, but our son is graduating from CU and has a departmental ceremony on May 13. Have a great day and I'll join you in the fall if there is a fall swap!

Like Tomatoz said, it was a rough winter for irises and we lost a whole bed of dark purple/black ruffled ones. Thanks again to everyone who gave me irises at the swap last year. Garden Chloe, your Celebration Song and Childhood Wish are both up and CW has one bloom stalk!

• tomatoz1
    11 months ago

Catnohat - will save you a Pasque flower. Just dug up a few more minis if you might want a few more.

• Catnohat
    11 months ago

I'm bringing tomato starts for anyone who will take them!

• Jerry (Broomfield CO 5)
    11 months ago

I put this in the wrong thread. Please let me know if anyone wants a Huldine or Jackmani Clematis. I will dig hem if there is interest.

I have limited starts this year, but a couple of interest. Two 6-packs of White Soul alpine strawberries and on 6-pack of aspabroc/broccolini

Original Author
    11 months ago

llgarden,

I'm sorry I didn't get back here sooner, I've been crazy busy in the backyard until it started raining and then I haven't been feeling well for the last couple days!

Yes, if there's still time I would like some of the orange daylilies! Assuming you haven't potted any yet, if you can dig up a "small piece" and just wrap it in some wet paper or paper towels I'll bring it home and divide it and put it in two small pots to take with me! Because of "lack of space" I can only take small pots with me on my trips of things to give away, so I can stick them in a size that will work for me. If you have already potted some up and they're in gallon or anything approaching gallon pots I'll probably take them out and replant them in a couple small pots! One will be going to the Navajo woman I mentioned above and the other to a Santa Clara Pueblo woman who owns the place where I stay at Cortez!

If I'm getting back here too late for you to bring some I'll just try again at the next swap!

Thanks for offering me some,

Skybird

F 05.1223 @ 2130 MDT

Original Author
    11 months ago

Hi All,

In additions to the things I posted above I'll have these bare root German Iris rhizomes:

3 packs - white standards with red-purple falls - no name!

4 packs - light purple standards with dark purple falls - no name

4 packs - 'Honorable' - semi-dwarf - yellow standards with rust-red falls

See you all tomorrow,

Skybird

F 05.12.23 @ 2225 MDT

• llgarden
    11 months ago

good I checked, I'll dig, there is not a small plant, they are giant :)

I'll bring some iris