Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

My Macrophylla is blooming!

Bill M.
last year

My Hoya macrophylla albomarginata is getting ready to explode with blooms! This is a plant that I sprayed with a sulpher solution last fall, then brought inside. I didn't know if it had flat mites, but from what I read, those people who sprayed their plants saw increased blooming. I figured if it did have motes, this would kill them. If it didn't have mites (which I don't think it did because it has always bloomed in the past without problems) this could only help. Well help it did! It has dozens of peduncles and some have already opened already. I put it outside this week, in my small hobby GH, along with a heater for the cold nights, but it doesn't seem to mind at all. I'm almost a month early for bringing them out, but I couldn't wait! Here she is:

Comments (17)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

That looks great!

• Tika Land
    last year

Wow!! That’s a lot of peduncles!! Great job and thanks for sharing. 😊

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    last year

She is serious about her blooming! Get ready!

Bill M. thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    last year

No idea since I've never done that, but clearly at the very least, it didn't hurt. But the pic gives some great info, showing a lot of great, gently diffused light, and the stems have plenty of space around them, each getting a full share of the light. If you get a chance to show the whole thing with the pot, I would enjoy seeing it.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Tiffany, here's the entire plant along with a few others photobombing the picture!

last year

Thank you so much. That is inspiring! I love the trellises (trellii?) They look homemade, but not in an unattractive way at all. It seems logical that any vine would be more "comfortable" in a climbing situation, vs. dangling over a pot rim.

I have 1 Hoya and it had buds on it but I needed to repot it because it was drying every day and it hasn't even started to get hot yet. But that seems to have made the buds freak out. Hopefully it will like the new home and get back to it soon.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Tiffany, the trelliseseseses 🤣 are nothing more than garden wire (2"x4" openings) that I cut and "rolled". I saw the idea on some other YouTube sites, and they work fine. Hoya vines tend to grow better when they are climbing on something, or at least pointing up, so this allows me to fasten them to the wire and they're happy. They occasionally complain because it isn't bark, but I told them to shut up and be thankful for what they have, so they're kind of placated for now.

I find hoyas like to be moister than we are led to believe. Since these are now outside for the summer, they will get watered literally every other or every third day. In the heat of summer, I'll squirt them down every day. That are also fed an orchid food every couple of weeks too.

They are grown along with orchids, and the two types of plants, both being epiphytes, love the moisture and high humidity of the GH. Indoors, if my humidity reaches 30%, I'm thrilled, so they struggle during the winter, but now that they're outside and on vacation, they let their hair down and go wild. Everything is sprayed with neem oil prior to placing in the GH, because by Feb / March, the mealies are making a counter offensive. The neem gets rif of a lot, and the natural predators handle the rest. Then the process starts all over again in the fall.

Stay well my friend, and best of luck to you and your plants.

last year

That's what I thought the trellises were. Great idea. : ) Thanks for the details about the care that led to such a great outcome! Your discussion with them sounds similar to some that I've had with plants. I'm glad yours decided to be a team player.

I have found the same to be true about liking more moisture. The first one I had died from getting too dry. People kept insisting "it hardly needs any water, likes to be dry, let it dry out." The new one that I've had for about 6 yrs isn't as pretty but seems happy, blooming a lot in the fall.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    last year

Gorgeous, Bill! I now have a little devil on my shoulder whipering "you need one of these, you need one of these" the angel on my other shoulder is shouting "no more Hoyas!"

Hmmm, maybe it's the other way around and it's the devil shouting NO MORE HOYAS.

• sunfleurpower
    11 months ago

It's about to be a show Bill! Mine has a lot of foliage and not a single peduncle, this is about to be the inspiration pic of the month!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I sure hope so!

• puglvr (9B)
    11 months ago

That's amazing Bill...SO many peduncles and buds/blooms, Congrats!

MIne is blooming for the first time since I've had this plant, surprising to me that the flowers are quite small for having some huge beautiful foliage...but that's probably why, the blooms are just a little extra for the gorgeous leaves :o)

• Tika Land
    11 months ago

Beautiful blooms @puglvr (9B) and @Bill M. @stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a you need one too.

Mine is blooming too

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    11 months ago

lol, Tika you're a bad influence!

• puglvr (9B)
    11 months ago

Gorgeous Hoya Tiki Land!! Thanks for sharing.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I have never seen anything like this before! I sprayed the plants with a sulpher solution last fall. They sat throughout the winter and grew some, but nothing out of the ordinary. I moved them out into the GH in mid April and suddenly they just took off! Everything is blooming, but the macrophylia is going absolutely bonkers! Check out this very short video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rZt5rmMuINk?feature=share

Here's a picture as well.

I don't know if it was the sulpher treatment, the early start or just because the plants are mature now. Nights are still cold, in the low 50's at times, but warming up slightly now. I leave the GH open at night, no heat and maybe the temperature differential has something to do with it as well. I know the orchids love the difference in temps. Maybe the hoyas do too.

Stay well all....

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County