Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

How do you clean your shower?

Annie Deighnaugh
last year
last modified: last year

What are your favorite products to clean tile and grout in the shower?

I hate the commercial products as the fumes are awful. Those with less fumes seem to be less effective. A lot of them are geared toward calcium and lime build up which we don't have. But when I look at the home mixes, there is such variation from baking soda, to hydrogen peroxide, to tea tree oil, to vinegar, to dishwashing soap to oxygenated bleach, to rubbing alcohol, and more...sprays, pastes, scrubs, etc.

So what works best for you?

Comments (43)

• Bluebell66
    last year

I use a basic bathroom cleaner - though I do hate the smell - and scrub with some sort of scrubby thing, or sometimes a Magic Eraser. I also have a battery operated thing that cleans grout as needed. Similar to this: Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Reveal Cordless Battery Power Scrubber Home Kit, 18 Pieces, Red, Multi-Purpose Scrub Brush Cleaner for Grout/Tile/Bathroom/Shower/Bathtub, Water Resistant, Lightweight, Ergonomic Grip : Health & Household

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bluebell66
  • Bunny
    last year

I have housecleaners every other week that do the cleaning and I'm not sure what products they use. However, I don't think they have a lot to do because I squeegee all the tile and use a microfiber cloth to blot the remaining water after every shower. It adds a minute or two to my shower routine, but I'm convinced getting rid of the water sitting on the tile goes a long way to keeping tile and grout looking good.

Last week I replaced the caulk in one of my showers. It had stood up well for 18 years and then I read it should be redone every 5.

ETA: roarah reminded me that both my baths are well vented. Not a mechanical vent but a window high up in the shower area that is open to some degree year-round.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • roarah
    last year

I have a well vented bath and squeegee walls and glass after use and have never had any mold so I just bibweekly use a dab dawn dish soap on a sponge and quicly scrub floor, fixtures and walls and rinse with the hand hold then dry with a microfiber cloth.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked roarah
  • Allison0704
    last year

I followed GoCleanCo on IG and have learned several tips and tricks from her. . Here is her Bathroom blog page. For our shower tile grout, I follow her recipe of powdered Tide and hot water, but have never used any bleach included in her recipe.

I have purchased and been happy with several products she recommends - AquaBlade (love love love), Grab a Rag (Big A and Costco carry, use daily to clean counters and range). Bissell Zing. Horse hair brush. Powdered Tide. Here is her list of recommended cleaning products.

ETA: For shower glass, previous owner left us Rejuvenate Soap Scum Remover. Highly recommend. Big A sells in refill size.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Allison0704
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

I do the same as roarah and Bunny with a good fan, squeegee and microfiber after every use. I have a hand held shower head and use very hot water to rinse down the shower when I'm done as it's soap/shampoo/conditioner build up that creates the need for more serious cleaning. My deeper cleaning process is Bon Ami and a long handled scrub brush - works well. I know some people like Thieves cleaner but I have not tried it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked DLM2000-GW
  • deegw
    last year

This isn't a tile cleaning suggestion but is shower related so I'd thought I share. One of our showers has a pebbly plastic shower pan which is a dirt magnet. I tried EVERYTHING. The cleaning people cleaned it but it was never white, even with straight bleach. Finally, I saw a post on our town's Facebook page that suggested Clorox toilet bowl cleaner clinging bleach gel. Pour it on, spread it out, let it sit for a while, and give it a quick scrub with a stiff brush. It worked!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    last year

We have cleaners and I have no idea what they use (something re-bottled from industrial size containers, I expect) but we do spray the tile and glass shower walls with Clean Shower after every use, which prevents cloudiness from soap and shampoo.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Kswl
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

I used to use Scrubbing Bubbles, but then I hired cleaners who bring their own :- ) I also made sure to switch my shower head to a hand-held one, for easier reach when rinsing.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • palimpsest
    last year

Wiping down/ drying all the tile every time the shower is used has saved a lot of cleaning time and has minimized the need for the use of any heavy duty chemicals in cleaning our showers. Only adults in our house and we are fully employed, it's not something that takes much time.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked palimpsest
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

I'm experimenting now with 1/2 warm white vinegar, 1/2 dawn dishwashing liquid and 10 drops tea tree oil...we'll see how it goes...site said to spray from a spray bottle, but it was too gel like so I just dumped some on a rag and got everything well coated.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks pal, while there are only adults by age in our home, one of us is not going to dry the shower down each time. I'm happy I have him squeegeeing off the shower door!

• Adella Bedella
    last year

We have hard water. I've had some success just using a steam cleaner on it. Mr Clean Magic Eraser is great in the tub.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Adella Bedella
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Well I'm happy with the results...it did require some scrubbing, more in the worst areas but it did a nice job on the soap scum and the tiles look good. It also cleaned the corian nicely. Best part is the lack of chemicals driving me away in a coughing fit...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

We don't have hard water, and I don't have glass in the three 1955 tiled baths. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do wrong with them at this point given all the years they've held up and stayed nice, easy to clean. We won't talk about their colors which certainly aren't current - but the baths were so well done to begin with - any changes I would make would be only for taste.

The crisp white shower curtains are easy, washer with hot water and Tide, sometimes a little bleach then into the dryer for a few minutes and hung still warm.

The shower themselves: I take off most of what I'm wearing and use a soft brush with handle, bucket of hot water with either powdered spic and span or a little Tide powder....if the floor corners are beginning to look dark in the shower we use daily I'll add a little bleach....which is why I wear few clothes when cleaning it.

Hand held shower heads in all of them so a good very hot rinse is easy.

All three are well ventilated both mechanically and with windows. I don't know what those little fans on timers even are, I only know they are little workhorses. I call them mighty mouse fans, no steamed mirrors or moist air feel ever. I only hope they last until I do make a final call and submit to the disruption and expense of having those baths redone. It's really the mess and inconvenience of having a contractor in the house that has held me back since buying this house. With all working, clean, I've withstood the 50's row of accent tiles at the sink backsplash in the bath DH prefers to use - they are 'sputnik' like and I think of George Jetson every time I'm in there.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • nicole___
    last year

We have hard water. DH squeegees the shower glass after every use. Then a tooth brush and bleach about once a month for the lower section of tile and caulking. I take baths. I just use a facial abrasion glove, reserved for cleaning/it's an old one...and do a quick once over before I get out of the tub. I have 6 bathrooms and .....sad to say....I've never showered or bathed in any, but the one.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nicole___
  • Kathsgrdn
    last year

New tile shower being squeegied and towel dried. Haven't used it much since finding multiple cracks and ungrouted areas in the niche. I fixed those the other day and now using it again. I'm so tired of finding crap they didn't do right.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

A realtor gave my sister this tip - after shower and before getting out, wash down the shower walls and door with cheap shampoo, then rinse. Kept hers sparkling.

• User
    last year

We don't have hard water, but we do get soap scum buildup, and mold in little nooks. I fill a spray bottle with water, dish soap, and vinegar and scrub the soap scum with a plastic scrubbie -- something that won't scratch the acrylic. Then I spray the moldy areas with with bleach water. I also bleach the hem of my shower curtain, and then either rinse it or throw it in the washing machine.

(It is SO much easier to take care of a polyester fabric shower curtain than a glass door.)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I just dry the tiles after the shower. Works like a charm.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • maddielee
    last year

I have found that using body wash instead of bar soap really does help cut down on shower residue.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked maddielee
  • roarah
    last year

I disagree about glass being more maintance than curtains. Cloth harbors more germs and holds water longer thus they are mold inducing. And I hate taking them off and putting back on after washing. My cleanest shower is the one with out a curtain by far. Room is less linty too curtains make dust.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked roarah
  • barncatz
    last year

We both do the squegee after every shower, have an interior opening high up in the shower, leave the glass door open for a time after showering, and I usually wipe down the tile after my shower. Our shower is small, thank goodness so it takes no effort. We only use Dove bar soap due to something I read about soap scum buildup that is probably an urban myth but we don't get much buildup, so sticking with our routine.

I enjoyed reading about what others do.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked barncatz
  • Bunny
    last year

I only use shower gel (EO lavender) because of the soap scum issue with bar soap. Plus it's just tidier. One of my showers has sliding glass doors and the other a single curtain. It's actually a cloth liner and water NEVER leaks through. I don't mind taking it down and washing it and then hang it up after the spin cycle. I appreciate both types of curtain/door, but it's nicer taking a shower in a dedicated shower than over a tub.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

From staying at too many hotels, I've been attacked by too many shower curtains to prefer them over glass...

• User
    last year

we use a curved shower rod, which keeps the shower curtain from being able to billow inwards.

interesting tip about dove bar soap and shower gel. I found that scum buildup is worse in the summertime, and I have a feeling it has something to do with my sunscreen and deodorant (I switch to a stronger one in hotter months). both of those are really hard to wash off of me or out of my clothes, so it makes sense that it would be harder to wash off the shower floor too.

• Lyban zone 4
    last year

@Bunny, i was thinking of ordering that EO lavender. have you tried any other scents.

or is that your favorite.

• Bunny
    last year

Lyban, EO lavender is my fave, however, I don't know what the other scents are like. I use to buy them at BB&B (RIP) and found that they can be more expensive online. So I bought the gallon size on A and fill up my existing bottles when they run out. It works out so much cheaper.

Anyway, EO lavender is a lovely scent. Zero soap scum. it really makes a difference in tile showers.

• Lars
    last year

I designed my shower with 24x24" tiles that are installed with tiny grout lines, and so it is easy to clean.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Lars
  • lily316
    last year

In the 40 years I have lived in this house, I have never taken a shower. So the person who does every night is the person who cleans it after himself using Method spray.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lily316
  • yeonassky
    last year

After every bath I scrub the bathtub down. I also wash the curtain very frequently. DS does not do a very good job and so once a week I give the tiles a scrub. Seems to do the trick. I use the method sprayer for the tiles and for the bathtub just soap. I rinse very well.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked yeonassky
  • kathyg_in_mi
    last year

I have one of those cleaners that are made for cleaning the inside of your cars windows. I use that and vinegar. We have hard water and rust and it does the job! No tile or grout.

Window cleaner

Annie Deighnaugh thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

Mine confuses me. The stone floor screams noo to most regular cleaners.. The tile is fired and also a screamer. i put out stone cleaner fot both, but now will add towel drying. . Thanks Pal.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • jane__ny
    last year

I've used Wet and Forget for Showers but now use something called Clean Shower. Spray it on the glass doors and tile and leave.

It does have a smell. I am also sensitive to fragrances but close the shower doors and leave the bathroom. I do open the window in the bathroom.

I'm in Florida, mold heaven! My shower is all white tile. Since I've been using these sprays, I haven't had mold nor soap scum on the glass doors.

My problem is I forget to use them. You are supposed to use them after showering when the shower is still wet.

Anyway, its better than scrubbing.

Jane

Annie Deighnaugh thanked jane__ny
  • wildchild2x2
    last year

Good ventilation and having soft water is the key. We don't squeegee or dry off the walls but we leave the fan on for a bit. When it needs cleaning, I've been using cheap shampoo or shampoos I bought and didn't like for cleaning tile walls for decades. It works.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked wildchild2x2
  • Allison0704
    last year

Some of you might need to check the humidity leave inside, and look into a whole house dehumifier. Ours were nstalled by HVAC company in our last two houses, and DH and our electrician in current FL home. This is our third home to have one.

Our shower is tall, so no way I could wipe completely down after showering, but I do use a squeegee on the glass each time. DH showers outside, but on the rare occasion inside, he does too.

For those of you that wash the shower with cheap shampoo - is that every time you shower?

• Lars
    last year

The humidity in my house where I have showers is around 25% and can be less. I barely need to use a towel to dry myself off, once I have dried my hair.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Lars
  • Tina Marie
    last year

The humidity level in our house is not high either, which is kind of amazing considering where we live. We also just run the fan for a few minutes after a shower. HOWEVER, the Mr. must stand in one spot in the shower with the water hitting him and one section of the shower wall. This creates a stream of soap scum. I have been using the soap scum cleaner than Allison shared for quite some time. It works well. I alternate with another cleaner that comes in Eucalyptus Mint scent. I use the EM on the sinks, etc. as well. A hand held steam cleaner works well on shower tile also. I think cleaning regularly makes a big difference too. Our master bath is cleaned at least weekly.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Tina Marie
  • deegw
    last year

I just clicked one of those silly reels on Facebook - this one was about living alone for the first time. The young adult guy asked, "So, when I take a shower does that CLEAN the shower?" :)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked deegw
  • Allison0704
    last year

I didn't want to call anyone out, LOL, so said "some of you." I would think only those in the South need to check their humidity level. Should be ≤50%.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I use the same cleaning product Allison uses, Rejuvenation. It is a recent ’find’ and i forgot where it was reommended but I love it. My housekeepers still prefer Scrubbing Bubbles. I just get in the shower and spray all of it it down with Rejuv and let it sit for 2-3 min as directed, then get in and scrub it with a plastic shower scrubbie.

We also use a squeegee and then wipe down the fixtures and some other parts with a microfiber cloth after showering. I also use Clean Shower spray on the tile after we're done.

btw, i read somewhere that vinegar is not good for grout.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • joann_fl
    last year

Has anyone used the pink stuff for cleaning shower doors, does it work?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked joann_fl
  • arcy_gw
    last year

I have white subway tile and water that has a high iron content so I spray my walls with CLR and wipe them down with a think cloth on my swiffer. Works well.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked arcy_gw
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio