Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Food scents.....

lucillle
last year

I'm frying bacon, and was thinking about the food scents I love most. Here is a list, not exhaustive but the ones that immediately came to mind:

Frying bacon

Baking bread

Sauces with garlic

Chocolate chip cookies

How about you? What food/cooking scents do you love most?

Comments (47)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

When I roast chicken with curry powder, it makes our house smell amazing - and I like the aroma of fresh-ground coffee too🙂

lucillle thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • aok27502
    last year

All of the above, plus rosemary.

lucillle thanked aok27502
  • orchidrain
    last year

Baking bread

Coffee

Roast pork

Brownies baking

Garlic

Oatmeal cookies

lucillle thanked orchidrain
  • chisue
    last year

If I just cook hamburgers in a pan on the cooktop, DH says nothing. If I first brown some onions: "Oh, that smells good!" Yet, who would want to eat only the onions?

Hot chocolate smells good in the pan, along with chocolate chip cookies in the oven.

There's a *fresh* scent when you start peeling a clementine.

lucillle thanked chisue
  • Olychick
    last year

In addition to many listed above, I love the smell of mint being prepped for tabouli or mojitos, cilantro, cinnamon - oh, and a turkey roasting.

lucillle thanked Olychick
  • Bunny
    last year

Pot roast

Caramelized onions

Berry pie baking

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • lascatx
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yes to nearly all the above. Also

Basil

watermelon (melons in general)

Citrus in general

Tomatoes - fresh or cooking

picante sauce cooking (tomatoes, herbs )

Jam cooking

Pizza baking

pot roast simmering

Snickerdoodles and Santa Claus cookies -- but they could be included with cinnamon, along wth oatmeal cookies and cinnamon rolls

Starting to feel like almost anything my kitchen other than fish sauce or the dog's food. LOL

lucillle thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    last year

A sauté (I use for egg sandwiches and other dishes) of minced garlic and jarred sun-dried tomatoes … I then add spinach to it.

Sautéed onions.

Sautéed mushrooms in butter, wine, and basil.

Thanksgiving dinner.

Meatloaf.

Cinnamon rolls.

Nearly anything in the Crock-Pot.

Marinara sauce simmering.

Wassail.

lucillle thanked Jilly
  • lisaam
    last year

Roasting turkey aroma carries a lot of happy baggage.

lucillle thanked lisaam
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Yes to fresh rosemary - and fresh sweet marjoram too!

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Everyone has favorites, but who doesn't like the aromas of delicious food in anticipation of eating what produces the pleasant scents?

The only example of something that is delicious to eat but smells like rotting dead bodies when cooking is monkfish. It stinks to high heaven. It's best cooked in a way that leads the odors directly to an exhaust fan turned on High. Keeping the windows open helps too.

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Kswl
    last year

I like many of the scents mentioned already, but my absolute fave is that of toasting fennel seeds…..be still, my heart ❤️

lucillle thanked Kswl
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Your comments usually aren't worthy of response but in this case, with a light topic and having used a tongue in cheek description, I'll say - if you'd ever cooked monkfish, you'd understand my comment.

• Bunny
    last year

I don't think I've ever eaten monkfish or been present when it's being cooked. Taste-wise, what is it like?

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Lobster. It's colloquially called "the poor man's lobster". It's delicious.

If you ever saw it whole and in person, you'd want to beat it with a shovel. One of the ugliest fishes I've ever seen.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Glad you asked Bunny - I was about to. Am I remembering correctly that it's monkfish that is purported to have a texture like lobster tails?

lucillle thanked DLM2000-GW
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Yes, monkfish has a texture more similar to lobster than most fin fish, as well as a similarly sweet taste.

As others have said, my family always says "yum" when they smell frying onions.

For me, it is citrus. All kinds. I feel like I am inhaling Vitamin C, sun shine, clearheadedness and inner beauty all at once.

lucillle thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

Collards, Cabbage, and Broccoli................just kidding ;-)

lucillle thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • Bunny
    last year

I remember as a kid when my mom would open a can of sauerkraut everyone would point fingers at everyone else. :p

Elmer, I looked up monkfish and yes, it's truly an ugly fish. When I was a kid we'd fish off piers in the Santa Cruz area and sometimes would catch bullheads (cabezon), so ugly and spiny and we'd be embarrassed and throw it back.

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • jojoco
    last year

I took this pic of a monkfish in Venice at a fishmarket . My caption said something along the lines of ” when Stephen King plans the dinner menu.”

lucillle thanked jojoco
  • lascatx
    last year

Jilly -- yes, yes to wassail -- but again, cinnamon!

lucillle thanked lascatx
  • barncatz
    last year

You all obv. need to spend more time on the other side talking about, thinking about and demanding the very highest of high powered vent hoods.

lucillle thanked barncatz
  • HU-929826674
    last year

The scent of the herbs from the garden, either chopping them for freezing, or hanging to dry. I also love the scent of baking bread, which is likely why I bake bread so often!

lucillle thanked HU-929826674
  • Bunny
    last year

The scent of baking bread and sautéed garlic (together or not) make me weak at the knees.

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • bpath
    last year

Bacon.

Fresh-baked bread.

Roasting chicken (no rosemary. If I can smell it, there’s too much.)

Beef stew in the crockpot.

Almost anything in the crockpot. It means dinner is nearly ready, and most of the prep cleanup is done (if I’m the one who put it in the crockpot).

Near East Lentil Pilaf. I think they don’t make it anymore, but I love the aroma.

lucillle thanked bpath
  • sushipup2
    last year

I always think of "scent" as floral or herbal. "Aroma" describes food. Anyone else make this distinction?

lucillle thanked sushipup2
  • Funkyart
    last year

Grapefruit, lemon

Roast chicken or turkey

sauted onions

tomatoes fresh off the vine

I strongly dislike the smell of bacon or chocolate cooking.

lucillle thanked Funkyart
  • bragu_DSM 5
    last year

canning and dehydrating season

lucillle thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • chisue
    last year

Cup custards in the oven (the grated nutmeg on top).

lucillle thanked chisue
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

sushipup, I think the word "smell" is often used when it comes to food cooking or otherwise too. As in "What are you cooking, it smells good?"

All the words convey the notion, I don't think there's necessarily one that's the better fit.

• Kswl
    last year

Ribollita! We are having a cool snap and yesterday the farmer’s market vendors that come every week had all the key fresh ingredients for it, so this was our lunch and dinner

I threw in some penne so we did not even need to add the bread it calls for in the broth. Fresh tomatoes, garlic, vidalia onions, beans, fresh peas, fennel, carrots and squash! Even DH came upstairs and said “something smells good!“

lucillle thanked Kswl
  • Bunny
    last year

I'm a licorice-phobe so generally I avoid fennel. However, roasted fennel is very nice.

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • s s
    last year

kswl, I also love fennel seeds but never thought of toasting them. Will try very soon. Do you find its ok to toast ahead and jar, or toast as needed? Thanks for the suggestion.

lucillle thanked s s
  • Kswl
    last year

I toast them as I am making the dish— or fry them in olive oil if I am sauteeing in it. I never even thought of toasting them beforehand! I get large quantities of fennel seeds on Amazonian 🙂

lucillle thanked Kswl
  • chloebud
    last year

Anything LEMON 🍋

Steaks on the grill

Most braises

Popcorn

Kitchen on Thanksgiving Day

lucillle thanked chloebud
  • Lars
    last year

Passion fruit has a very nice fragrance that is very floral and somewhat subtle. I pretty much do not like anything with a strong or overpowering smell. I used to have a huge passion vine, and I would get over 60 passion fruits a day. I bought a Juiceman juicer to extract juice from them so that I could eliminate the seeds, and then I would make sorbet with it. The fresh sorbet that I made is unlike anything you can buy, unless you can buy fresh sorbet, and it is distinguished by its wonderful floral fragrance.

I also like all citrus fragrances. The flowers have a much stronger fragrance at night, for some reason, and I noticed this first in Mexico when I was walking past some citrus groves and night and was overwhelmed by the fragrance, which I had not noticed at all during the day.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

My cabbage rolls

fresh bread (anything with yeast, pretty much)

coffee

Rice. Long grain, not Uncle Bens or worse: Minute Rice ew.

cucumbers

chili

corn

bacon

smoked anything

barbecued anything

lucillle thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • User
    last year

Witty, I’m glad that you said cabbage rolls! I love the smell of sour cabbage rolls that have been cooking in the oven all day. It reminds me of my MIL’s house during holidays.

lucillle thanked User
  • Cherryfizz
    last year

Bacon

Fried Onions and Garlic

Butter chicken spices

Roast turkey

Baking bread is my least favourite aroma, I live not far from where they make Canadian Club Rye Whiskey, some days when they are making it the sour mash smells like baking bread but more sour. Ever since I was a kid I didn't like that smell so whenever I smell baking bread it reminds me of that

lucillle thanked Cherryfizz
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

A lot to like for sure. Yes to frying onions .... they always smell so good.

I love it when DH has made my cinnamon grahams...the cinnamon baking smells wonderful.

I love smelling chocolate...be it melting or baking.

Yes to lemon and lime zesting which releases a wonderful aroma.

Yeast dough...something so earthy and cozy about the smell of yeast.

Yes to cutting up fresh strawberries.

And smelling coffee grounds/fresh brewing coffee is always a winner for me.

lucillle thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jilly
    last year

Adding to my post, we went to a cook-out today and I made baked beans for it. We just got back home and the house still smells so good!

lucillle thanked Jilly
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Cherryfizz's comment about sour mash made me recall driving past downtown Milwaukee and the overpowering smell of brewing yeast in the air there. I wonder if it's still like that?

It was not pleasant, to be clear...

• Feathers11
    last year

Carol, a long time ago, I reverse commuted from downtown Milwaukee out to Wauwatosa for a while, and took 94. Most people thought it was beer, but it was not. I'm pretty sure this is it:

https://www.wuwm.com/regional/2017-02-17/what-happened-to-milwaukees-signature-yeast-smell

I visit Milwaukee on occasion, and haven't detected it recently.

lucillle thanked Feathers11
  • Springroz
    last year

My DM swore their house sold in 1961 because she was cooking liver and onions when the REA brought the clients in to view the house spur of the moment.

lucillle thanked Springroz
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Thanks, Feathers!

I do recall my dad telling us it was from a yeast factory.

• Kathsgrdn
    last year

Baking bread, cakes, cookies, pizza. Onions cooking or green onions growing in the springtime. So many. One food smell I don't like, is the cheesy smell when you walk first walk into Olive garden. The few times I've eaten there I just think it's a good thing it takes so long for the food to come because it takes a while for me to get used to that smell.

Good smells, steak, burgers, any herb sauteeing in butter or oil.

lucillle thanked Kathsgrdn