Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azlateva

Row house reno in NYC

azlateva
last year
last modified: last year

Looking for the optimal kitchen island size for my home. I am taking down a wall separating my kitchen from my dining room. What is the optimal size of my island? Can I still get away with having a dining table in this space?

Will it be too cluttered? If I can't fit a dining table in this space anymore how do I utilize the space. The bookcases are gobe; All walls are going down. Looking to incorporate the sun room as well.

This is current state

Comments (21)

• User
    last year

You do not have room for an island.

• azlateva
    Original Author
    last year

What do you mean? It will be where the wall is now. The wall is getting removed.

• kandrewspa
    last year

You already have cabinets on the wall which you're removing. Usually this would mean you lose the uppers there and the island would be base cabinets in the same location they are now except a shorter run, so you can walk around it on both ends. You want to have at least 42" between counters. 36" if there really isn't room for 42", but that's not ideal. I'm not sure what the exact dimensions of the island would be, but with a few measurements you should be able to figure it out. If the openness is more important to you than the storage space in the upper cabinets, then this is a good idea. You can still have your table in the same location under this scenario. If you're envisioning something else, let us know.

• AJCN
    last year

Are you removing the bookcases that line the wall on the other side of the dining table? That would give you some more room. If you take careful measurements and draw them on graph paper, you'll probably get more responses and more help.

• azlateva
    Original Author
    last year

I don't understand your comment. My concern is that there is too much space and I don't want the island to look too big in proportion to the rest of the room.

• kodiac23
    last year

Hi your dimensions are not right, please provide a scale drawing with existing walls drawn in. You will get a lot of help!

azlateva thanked kodiac23
  • Mindy Thomas
    last year

What are your plans for the sun room? Are you taking the wall down between the sun room and dining room?  Are you keeping the built ins in the dining room?

• Indecisiveness
    last year

If you want to put a table in the ”dining room” and seating at the island, the chairs/stools will be cramped.

If you want an island, can you expand the kitchen into the sun room onstead of dining room?

Choosing an island over a table then leaving the ”dining room” essentially empty because a table wont fit there is not the best use of your limited space

• azlateva
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I am removing the bookcases and all walls. The kitchen cabinets will go all the way until the end of the sun room.

• Mindy Thomas
    last year

Sorry, I didn't read your original post thoroughly.  It's hard to say how large but it looks like you could go pretty wide.  Measure 42" around the kitchen to get a better idea, 48" is better though if you have the space.  If you turn a table sideways and put chairs on the two sides opposite each other, I think it would work. I put two feet away from the wall but if you could do 3' it'd be easier for people to walk by.  (Rough drawing attached)

• Mindy Thomas
    last year

You could also push the table against the wall if need be.

• blue skies
    last year

I think you could put a dining table in the current sun room. Place it perpendicular to the island, which should stop before the sunroom, so there's space to maneuver between the island and table.

• kazzh
    last year

Mark out the dimensions suggested above by marking the floor area, either with tape or as others have suggested, by using boxes to create the island and dining table in the places you are thinking. This will help you get a proper perspective of the space. I know islands with stools are all the rage but it’s not always the best use of space. Try moving your mock ups around to different positions. Sometimes it’s difficult to ‘see’ a space.

Options could be to consider a narrower free standing kitchen bench, this could have a set of cupboards underneath or an open shelf/s but not be the huge island. Big isn’t always better! Team that with using the sunroom space to create a banquet seating area possibly, or consider if bench seating teamed in the current dining bookcase location with a table would work? The sunroom could be a contender for location of dining- making the most of the windows and light? A proper pantry in the darker interior would provide storage and help to allow the lighter areas become the focus of living space.

• kazzh
    last year

Ideas

• kazzh
    last year

One more

• Trudy
    last year

I was going to say the same thing about the powder room. It would be very awkward if a dinner guest had to get up from the table and use the bathroom, flush, etc. in plain view of everyone. Speaking from experience.

• Maureen
    last year

If placing the island as per your drawing:

The cabinets should extend to the end of the wall and then island can come down a bit centered to cabinets (suggest a square shape), so it won’t infringe as much into dining space and help fill the dead space on the left.

(With wall completely gone, the washroom door is facing the dining room so also suggest the wall extension mentioned by chiagoans.)

If….you started the cabinetry at washroom wall, center square island to cabinets, then you can place your dining table in sunroom area which would be lovely with all the windows.

If you remove the jutted out walls below, living room will now be larger/connected to kitchen by being able to furnish further in that direction. I’d have a pro come in and who knows what ideas they might have.

Sort of like below but not so far in

• coray
    last year

There are lots of ways you can change this, but it really depends on your wants and needs. If you want a larger kitchen you could push into the former dining space, have a nice, large island with lots of storage (keeping in mind you’ll want at least 42” between island and cabs/wall) and perhaps place a desk and some sleeker shelving along the wall on the left, opposite the kitchen. I’d probably relocate the dining space to the current sunroom area. There might also be room for a small laundry room near the 1/2 bath, IF you need one and reconfigure that space a bit. Good luck!

• azlateva
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the ideas.

Having a separate dining room is not main priority just nice to have for me. I am also looking for ways to make the bathroom bigger than it is now. I plan and know that I can take down all walls on this floor and reconfigure the full space. The problem is I haven't been able to find architects/designer who could consult me on this so It's very hard to make the decision on my own.

All the ideas and feedback help me very much. Thank you

• coray
    last year

Sounds good….enlarging the kitchen into the current dining space, wall and shelving gone, should give you the freedom to get a bigger bathroom. I hope you will eventually find someone who can work with you….these are crazy times, for sure. (We have a friend who bought 2 lots for her new house almost 3 years ago. She has met with and talked to builders, and even though she had 2 interested in building her house, they have both gone completely MIA; now she’s selling the lots again…..it’s very frustrating.)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH