Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattiem1

counter over washer dryer minimum space in front

pattiem1
last year

My laundry room is six feet wide and 11 feet long. I'd really like to cover the washer and dryer with a countertop, but how much space do you need in front of the machines to permit access to the faucets and vents or to just slide them out for cleaning? Creative suggestions for movable or hinged countertop. There are cabinets about 15" over the w/d. Yes, it is messy right now.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

You'd have to create a "step up" look from the standard counter to the counter over the washer/dryer, and this would likely involve replacing all the counters. Like this:

Amberly Laundry · More Info

Compact Laundry Room Renovation · More Info

The other option would be to pick a different material entirely so you don't have to replace the other counters, like this:

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Note how they built cabinets around the units and pulled them forward. I'm not sure this is feasible in your case, because you don't have much clearance for the door swings of the washer/dryer.

In your shoes, I might get a stacking kit instead and extend the cabinetry so you have more room to fold:

Monvisto Cabin · More Info

pattiem1 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Design as a shelf, not a counter. Secure it to the wall walls using L-brackets.

Maybe plywood, cut to fit, and cover top with removable wallpaper.

Amazon has dozens of patterns.

https://www.amazon.com/countertop-wallpaper/s?k=countertop+wallpaper

• kandrewspa
    last year

IMO since you have counter space in your laundry room, I don't think it's necessary to have a counter over the machines. It looks like they match and they're SS - nothing wrong with their appearance. Just more trouble than it's worth to put a counter over them.

• luna123456
    last year

Agree with the previous poster. There is very limited space there now. The appliance tops serve as a functional counter space.

When we build our house, the laundry room will be a very nice space. right windows and lots of room. Only a few cabinets (waste of space), proper sink and wash basin, folding space with bookshelf like shelving designed for laundry baskets. Room to put laundry carts for proper sorting.

It will be located next to the main bathroom/shower.

Any other full bathroom will have space for a stacked compact washer and dryer (Ventless). Too many people go for form over function.

There will also be a proper floor drain in all locations with a laundry or bathroom (with a decorative tile mural or surround).

i know this may sound bad, but i would not be happy using a launddy like that for any length of time. Way too cramped.

• armjim
    last year

I looked at all of the configurations above, and they all look attractive and very usable. But I would worry about an emergency need to cut off the water to the washer because of an issue, without resorting to turning off the main supply to the house, How easy is it to grab hold of the washer when not stacked and pull it out when it is enclosed? And having had a stacked set, I know how heavy and cumbersome they are, and that would be even worse to try and pull out of such enclosures.