Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evinsc

How to clean antique brick floors in a bathroom

evinsc
11 months ago

We’re building a house and have antique brick floors in our pool bath. I initially questioned if that was the best choice from a cleanliness perspective, but loved the idea, so we went ahead. What’s the best way to clean around the toilet (pee)? The walls will be painted black…

Comments (25)

• evinsc
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Maybe I’ll just have to ban my husband from using that toilet :) we did at least seal it.

• kazzh
    11 months ago

If pee is a problem, apart from regular cleaning - using vinegar to wash helps to neutralise urine odour.

• Olychick
    11 months ago

I would get a portable steam cleaner to clean that area. Not sure what effect it will have on the sealer; maybe reseal once in a while. But a good dose of steam will kill bacteria and deep clean the brick.

• evinsc
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks! I actually do have a really good one. Big dogs make grout disgusting, and tile cleaning is insanely expensive.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Don’t care it impractical, that’s a gorgeous floor! Ban the boys from that bathroom!

• njmomma
    11 months ago

Add a washable or vinyl toilet mat, that can be easily thrown into the washer or easily wiped down. Hopefully the heater is not near the toilet.

• njmomma
    11 months ago

Love the floor!

• beesneeds
    11 months ago

Can you get the people that leave pee behind to learn how to clean up after themselves or maybe not get pee on the floor? Otherwise not allowing them to use that bathroom or a washable pee mat would be the best options there. Even sealed and with regular cleaning in time pee can set in.

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

It is possible to be male and not pee on the floor.

• Olychick
    11 months ago

Send us some!!

• kazzh
    11 months ago

Until the lesson is learnt, put some puppy pee pads on the floor. When the question is asked why, say you’re waiting for the toilet training to finally show some results!

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

This post begs input from everyone - who here gets pee on the floor of their bathroom near the toilet? I have never experienced this. Do folks share their homes with people who have poor aim? The only time I have experienced this is with elderly or disabled relatives who were simply unable aim well.

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

Well, one of the painter's assistants from a few years back would literally pee partly on the floor of the bathroom, not just overspray, there would be a puddle. And first we thought something was wrong with the cat. Finally we were able to correlate it with his being onsite.

We started putting towels and mats down, because what do you say? . And he would fold them carefully out of the way--and pee on the floor again. We had to put a note that said that the rugs were there for them to step on because they could be washed, without getting too specific.

At my workplaces, it is apparent that some people pee on the floor. In one place the Staff Only restroom seems to be much less afflicted than the general restroom so part of me thinks there is an educational/socioeconomic factor maybe. . . . however I worked in a high rise with bathrooms only in the core of the building. and the other offices were law firms and financial sector offices, and honestly some some of the atrocities committed in that bathroom made me think a couple people must have needed psychiatric help. So who knows? And apparently in enough households it's taken for granted that people will pee on the floor to the extent that instead of trying to solve the problem at the Source, there is more discussion about how to let it keep happening but how to best clean up after the fact.

• evinsc
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I have complained for YEARS about him dripping pee on the floor- nothing has changed. He at least now raises the toilet seat- that was an accomplishment. I also have a 5 year old girl who gets a little on the floor from time to time. I told my husband if he pees on the floor he won’t use the bathroom. If I put an ugly fuzzy mat around the toilets, that might make him stop since I know he’ll hate it. I’m sure we’ll have kids in there too. So in hindsight, probably a TERRIBLE mistake, but it is gorgeous. I’ve got some good advice here I think should work to keep it from smelling like a urinal.

• User
    11 months ago

'The world is your toilet outside" doesn't encourage accuracy. Then you have aging or afflicted men, who tend to dribble, rather than have a strong stream. Aging also creates some imbalance issues that impact accuracy. There is also the ridiculous societal pressure against sitting and urinating. If you only have a round bowl, I get that. Things touch the cold porcelain. By now though, everyone building or renovating should have an elongated bowl for those quieter middle of the night occurrances. It's only considerate to your partner to lessen the noise, and sit, at night.

• PRO
    Badeloft
    11 months ago

Prepare a cleaning solution: Mix a small amount of mild soap or a specialized brick cleaner with warm water in a bucket. Follow the instructions on the brick cleaner product, if using. Avoid using harsh chemicals or acidic cleaners that can damage the brick.

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

In some European countries men do sit down without feeling emasculated. Many men probably if they are performing both bodily functions sit for both, rather than changing positions a lot, so I am not sure why some men think it is sissified to not stand all the time.

I think another part of the equation is that while women may complain about the floor around the toilet, they don't make the men who are causing the issue to clean the floor around the toilet. Maybe if more men were forced to clean up after themselves they would learn to be a little more careful. Just doing it for them is another enabling behavior.

• KW PNW Z8
    11 months ago

@evinsc I just have to say that this has been one of the more entertaining threads I’ve read here lately. I especially like the idea of puppy pee pads - I’d use those without hesitation whenever company / guests are present & pool in use. If you have qualms about that, cut a hole in big black trash bag & pull edges up to toilet base all around. I’d hope - at least for anyone over age 12 - if they hear their pee hitting the plastic it’d be a reality check for them & hopefully a course correction for future. I love the flooring & I’d have chosen it too.

• aziline
    11 months ago

I know of an office that had to have a meeting because of what was happening in the mens bathroom. I was told that it was really gross, out of hand, and then they made a "I can't believe people do that face." I really wanted to ask what specifically but also really didn't want to know.

My second question was who is their parents!?!? gross

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

Actually reports from female staff in the highrise building said the female bathroom was disgusting sometimes too, so it's not limited to men.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

At work I can only think it is a retaliation measure. At home, I just can't imagine it. I'll add not peeing on the floor to the list of 1,000 reasons I love my husband.

If I put an ugly fuzzy mat around the toilets, that might make him stop since I know he’ll hate it.

Get the most hideous one you can find to cure him. Here are a few contenders. The first one kinda looks like someone dropped a load on the floor.

Allure Collection Absorbent Cotton Contour Toilet Rug 20"x20", Brown · More Info

Bath Rug Memory Foam Mat 3D Pebble, Peacock Blue, Contour Rug 20"x20" · More Info

Bathroom Rug Sophisticated Leaf and Vine Design, Idyll, Palm Green, Pedestal · More Info

Auburn Bath Rug, 20"x20", Yellow · More Info

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

@palimpsest I thought of you when my construction crew finally left last week. The condition of the bathroom was so horrific. Our cleaning woman charged a lot. I was so happy to pay her and ridiculously grateful to not have to clean it myself.

• evinsc
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Kendrah thank you for those gems. I think they would stop the dribble very quickly. Especially if they stayed out for company.
    @kw pwn z8 -the plastic idea is brilliant. I did see some clear plastic toilet mats that might do the trick, but the trash bag idea would be hilarious.

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

What you get is plain white, lightweight cotton ones that you can throw in the wash with a little bleach if necessary. You could have multiples and just rotate them through the wash. You could have seven if necessary.