Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gssmom

height of fridge and wall oven

gssmom
11 months ago

Help. I have a wall of cupboards for my kitchen design. Designer and husband want top of frig and top of wall oven /convection m/w to match. Coffee bar is located between the two.

I'm short. I want to wall oven set up lower. Design advice pls!!

Comments (21)

• Peyton Montana
    11 months ago

I’m short too, so I totally get it. i understand they might think level with the refrigerator is ”aesthetically pleasing to the eye,” but actually the max height of a wall oven is usually much lower because, quite simply, it‘s dangerous to be pulling out hot dishes above your head.

The rule of thumb is, the center grate of your top wall oven should be no higher than your eyes, and preferably, the top grate shouldn't be. So, if you open your top wall oven and the top grate is higher than your eye level, it should be a no-go. Thats why you see them lower in your pictures. The last thing you want to do is be reaching up when pulling out hot and often heavy cookware and burn or hurt yourself, or even have somethung crash to the ground from you dropping it and ruining your tile or hardwood floors.

• Rachel Lee
    11 months ago

Functionality should trump aesthetics. Unless hubs or designer are the ones using the ovens, put them where you want them.

• Andee
    11 months ago

Having an oven that high is a bad suggestion no matter how tall you are. Safety and manufacturer's directions are paramount. I also question the competence of your designer.

• wdccruise
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Recommended cutout height from floor for double ovens* from installation guides:

• Kitchenaid KODE500ESS: 14-3/4"
    • LG WDEP9423F: 12"
    • Cafe CTD70DP2NS1: 12"

*Two full-size thermal ovens, not thermal plus smaller microwave

• blfenton
    11 months ago

If you're the one who is using it the most then your opinion is the only one that is important. And I agree with the statement that if you're short and your designer is agreeing with looks over function then that is a problem. I'm tall and I wouldn't set them that high. For starters I would have trouble with reading the control panel and I don;t want to burn my arms reaching in with the door open.

Mock stuff up in your own kitchen and find the height for reading the control panel and reaching in that suits you. Most pictures only have one drawer (eg a warming drawer) under double ovens. Your designer has drawn two.

• PRO
    Creative Cabinets
    11 months ago

Are you working with an experienced cabinet maker or kitchen designer? Because there are several more issues shown than just putting the oven too high.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Way too high and dangerous and it doesn't even look balanced because it's too high. Tell your designer, you don't need symmetry but balance.

I just looked at my oven. Mine's a single oven and it's set where your lower oven is set with 2 10" drawers. Above my single oven, I have tray storage. I'm also short and wouldn't want it much higher than that. I have to look up to reach my tray storage.

You might want to post your full design if this is what your designer has decreed. For example, why are there doors under the coffee bar instead of drawers?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

Here's a question: I'm going to assume you're using a cooktop elsewhere instead of a range since both ovens are wall ovens, yes? If that's the case, can you put one of the wall ovens under the cooktop and the second one where the lower one is currently located stacked with a microwave above? That way, both 30" ovens will be at the correct height.

Bernal Heights Sustainable Kitchen · More Info

810 West Townhomes · More Info

• PRO
    Desert Design
    11 months ago

I'm 5'6" and the top of my microwave door is 5 feet from the floor. It is very similar to the setup in your white kitchen picture. It's still too high IMO.

I have to get on a stool to clean the inside middle back of the microwave because my arms don't reach far enough. Being shorter and reaching up and over the door to pull out hot items would be even worse.

• palimpsest
    11 months ago

Here is where it should be, roughly. I think that this looks somewhat balanced because there is roughly as much extra Blue above and below the ovens, compared to the fridge, if that's important.

Here it is aligned at the bottom rather than the top. This is low for the lower oven, but you won't be using it as much:

I think the idea that these really need to line up is kind of artificial. They aren't next to each other and they aren't really the same dimensions, other ways.

• Buehl
    11 months ago

I'm 5'10" and that top oven would be much too high for me! We have double ovens and the bottom of the lower oven door is 18.75" above the floor. The top oven is actually a bit too high for me, but not by much -- it's usable. If you're short, there is no way either oven will be usable for you.

Is your designer a true Kitchen Designer? Or, is s/he a cabinet salesperson or other type of designer? I find it difficult to believe a true KD would even suggest such a thing!

• gssmom
    Original Author
    11 months ago

PLEASE NOTE....

I FORGOT to mention that the wall oven is actually a wall oven/convection microwave unit ( see unit in green kitchen picture)....the dimensions of the unit are...
    H 42.5"
    W 30"
    D 27"

So from a danger standpoint, the wall oven location is probably nice, as it's slightly higher, the microwave oven is on top.

• wdccruise
    11 months ago

KitchenAid KOCE500ESS/KOCE900HSS microwave/oven combo:

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Why not get a single oven and then get a drawer microwave for under the counter between the oven and fridge? Especially as a short person, it is so much easier to use.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

Imagine if you had a SubZero, or other built-in, like Thermador or Miele. Would you designer and husband still want the top oven to be the same height as the fridge? Ridiculous!

Here’s my setup…2 Miele wall ovens, the top being a combi steam.

I can’t imagine having the ovens as tall as your designer is suggesting.

We also put a space for trays, baking pans and racks, and broiler pans, above.

• Buehl
    11 months ago

The bottom oven is still too high, especially if you're short. The bottom oven should line up similar to Darbuka's ovens.

Here are mine:

Since we're a tall family (heights ranging from 5'10" to 6'7"), this isn't a bad height. However, for a short family, I would recommend they be even lower -- more like Darbuka's.

• blfenton
    11 months ago

It doesn't matter. Lining up any oven with the top of the fridge is too high and not safe.

• chispa
    11 months ago

Agree, lining up ovens with top of the fridge is just a crazy choice. It actually doesn't look symmetrical or better, because most people will look at it and see that the ovens aren't ergonomically installed in that position and wonder who made that crazy decision.

• User
    11 months ago

I am most disturbed by the fact that your kitchen designer sees nothing wrong with that. That is a huge red flag! Kitchen designers expect to have to shoot down some homeowner ideas as being unsafe, unsightly, etc. They shouldn't the ones proposing them!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    11 months ago

Wow - Just wow. Shame on that designer.

You should definitely lower that oven. That upper oven will be like taking something out of an over the range microwave!

You may want to post your plans, if you have a tough skin so everyone can have a look and make sure there aren't any other "design" elements that won't function properly in your brand new kitchen.