Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadydid

clear glass shower doors. How to keep them looking great?

kadydid
11 months ago

How do I keep my NEW clear glass shower doors at my new house clean and prevent them from getting build up? My aunt suggested putting rain x on them?? Is that a thing people do? I want them to look nice just like the hotels we visit. I’ve also seen videos that say, use a razor on them weekly.

Any advice?

Comments (25)

• Helen
    11 months ago

Since you doors are installed, it is too late to use Showerguard glass but I will mention as a PSA to future readers of this thread.

It is impregnated at the factory and not a coating. Mine have been in since 2018 and literally look like new.

I never squeegee and my cleaning lady wipes off once a week. i have hard water FWIW.

• eld6161
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

We have to use Spray Away, not windex.

I have a towel inside my shower that I use to wipe down the glass when I'm done.

• Cathy Johnson-Young
    11 months ago

I squeegee doors then wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

• Nidnay
    11 months ago

We have been living in our new home for almost 5 years and I have not cleaned the glass yet. It did have a factory applied coating to prevent buildup, but I also squeegee the glass after every single shower and honestly, I believe THAT is the main thing that prevents any buildup or staining. I also dry all the corners where the glass meets the tile.

• dadoes
    10 months ago

I wipe the shower stall walls and glass with my wash cloth when done (wringing it as necessary) and squeege the remaining water on the floor toward the drain. Wiping and squeegeing avoids majority of the residual water evaporating and increasing the humidity.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Same as Helen for those reading the thread.

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I have the same factory applied coating as @Nidnay & @Helen have. We also squeegee & wipe corners & pan. We also have softened water. I’m happy to hear so many others do the squeegee / wipe thing as I’ve been told I’m ”too tidy”. My other trick is to aim to be first one out of shower if DH is also showering. Rule is - last one out wipes shower down”!

ETA - the only time I’ve used a razor on glass is to get paint off windows. I’d be afraid of scratching shower glass with razor & even with a smaller shower glass surface, that’s a lot of surface to be running a razor over. Even I’m not that tidy. About the rainex — have used that on prior showers but it wears off & stil need to squeegee / wipe which makes it wear off faster.

• anj_p
    10 months ago

We did rainx... They have one for showers. It worked great. We need to reapply but it's been a year. We don't do anything other than biweekly cleaning. We have a squeegee but don't use it often.

• Helen
    10 months ago

I think wiping and squeegeeing after every shower is not necessary with Showerguard in my experience depending in one’s standard of fastidiousness.

I would never do this nor would anyone in my family.

I was concerned with build up of mineral deposits that would permanemtly degrade the appearance of the shower and not if my glass had water drops that were easily removed during the course of normal cleaning once a week when the bathrooms are cleaned by my cleaning person.

My glass was neglected during the pandemic when I didn’t have a cleaner but even after a long period of neglect, they became pristine with normal cleaning when my cleaner returned and there were no permanent adhesions or built up spots

• remodeling1840
    10 months ago

RainX is very good, but do not get it on the shower floor. Apply it to the doors just the same as to your windshield. I just squeegee ours and alternate with TILEX Daily Shower.

• PRO
    SafelyBuild
    9 months ago

Hi Kady, I had the same problem with my shower doors, as well as exterior safety railings on my balconies. I’m sure there’s lots of great advice here for removing the stains on the glass, once it’s clean I use this stuff it’s kind of like a spray on wax. It lasts for a few months and would need to be re-applied but it makes the water just fall right off the glass. I’ll add some photos here. :-).

• PRO
    SafelyBuild
    9 months ago

Here ya go.

• S M
    9 months ago

our shower glass guy instructed us to squeegee after each shower and clean glass weekly with spray away / glass plus ( a window cleaner with no ammonia). We also had the protective coating applied to glass. Looks great , no issues. Have friends who just installed new shower doors and don’t squeegee. Glass isn’t looking good. Just keep water wiped off glass and should be good to go

• Reba
    9 months ago

They sell squeegees on Amazon that look nice & hang in the shower for convenience. We have hard water & I have tried every product to keep them clean. Finally found a product called “pink stuff” in paste form & it did the trick. Now we use the squeegee after every shower.. just takes a few seconds.

• Rachel
    9 months ago

I always put on the bathroom fan before stepping into the shower and let it run for about 1/2 hour after finishing. I also squeegee. The fan really helps to dry things out more quickly so the glass never gets too ucky.

• vinmarks
    9 months ago

We rinse down glass and tile in entire shower, squeegee and then wipe with big fluffy microfiber towel. I rarely have to clean the shower. Glass is clear and no mold or soap scum anywhere in the shower.

• bbstx
    9 months ago

Undoubtedly, squeegeeing so that you don’t have water marks on the glass in the first place is the best course. We squeegee, but there have been occasions when we’ve forgotten. I stumbled across an article where different methods of removing water spots had been tested. The best method was scrubbing the glass with Bar Keepers Friend liquid soft cleanser and a Scotch-Brite non-scratch blue scrubby sponge. Works great for me. I do not have any sort of coated glass. If you do, YMMV.

• S M
    8 months ago

we were also told by glass guy that in event that water marks appear ( and not to expect that for years if religiously using squeegee and weekly spray cleaning) to use a magic eraser to remove any marks or buildup

• Mrs Pete
    8 months ago

I would never do this nor would anyone in my family.

Cousin? We're surely in the same family. Just not going to happen -- I don't lie to myself.

I don't get why shower curtains have fallen out of fashion. They add color and texture to the room, they hide green and purple bottles of shampoo, and they're so much easier than glass doors!

• Helen
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@Mrs Pete

Obviously shower curtains versus door is a personal choice and a blend of function and aesthetics.

If someone has spent significant money on a tiled shower, then one is going to want a frameless shower door because why else would you have gone to the expense unless it was because the actual tiled shower enclosure was an important decorative element in the bathroom.

If one has a prefab fiberglass type of shower or tub/shower then there is nothing to show off so a curtain might actually be aesthetically preferable.

In terms of function, my experience is that doors seem to work better in terms of preventing excess water outside the shower - especially if people aren't super conscientious.

Also I personally would wind up having the curtain be on my body at some point.

And of course there is more of a maintenance element for a shower curtain because it needs to be laundered versus my maintenance of my glass doors which are Showerguard glass and only need to be sprayed once a week like any glass or mirror surface.

• lmmcnitt
    8 months ago

Best to contact the company that installed the doors as they know the material and care. Ask them what they recommend. I did this recently with my new build and they advised me to use Rain X, so I am doing that.

• Anne Duke
    8 months ago

Squeegee every shower. Then dry.

• remodeling1840
    8 months ago

Hard water is the main culprit. The stains most people complain about are caused by hard water.

• User
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

We had the ShowerGuard coating done on our shower glass when we redid the bathroom 8 years ago. We squeegee after each use, keep the fan on for 30 minutes. It still does get a bit of cloudy buildup especially at the door and side panel bottom. Supposedly you shouldn't use any ammonia-based spray on the coated surface that's why so many use SprayAway. I've recently been using Windex with Vinegar spray and I think it does a fabulous job. I do it maybe every couple of weeks.