Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoebaroff

should I change the wall color of this space?

ShoeBaroff
11 months ago

Hi we bought this space and it was renovated. I think it needs a lift. I was thinking a different paint color. Thoughts? If I go with a cream/white will the cabinets look too yellow? I am not touching the kitchen area except for the walls

Comments (39)

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Some additional details

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I agree with @lisedv

SW Alabaster. I am currently using it in my guest room. a great warm white, soft.

I would also swap the sofa & the 2 club chairs.

• Nichole Campos
    11 months ago

I agree that a nice warm white would look great. It’ll make it more bright and airy. More modern as well.

• chispa
    11 months ago

Your current color is a bit too mustard/gold. I would want to change it too.

I agree with a warm white too, but if you prefer a bit more color, BM Grant Beige would also work with everything you have. It is a beige/khaki with a hint of green.

• cat_ky
    11 months ago

I agree the mustard color has to go. It does not go with the cabinets at all. You could use an actual color in there, if thats your choice, or if looking for more white, then the Alabaster would look very nice. I think a very light green would look nice.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lyn Nielson why would you switch the furniture?

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

it opens up the space to the outdoors.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    11 months ago

What about this color? The floor is very dark and the cabinets have a yellow undertone. So I thought I should go on the warm tones. Too much?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    11 months ago

I am not fan of yellowish colors, I would rather go with Alabaster.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

I think it is unanamous. The current color's gotta go and a warm white would look wonderful. Order large samples from Samplize and move them around the room to different places at different times of day to see what you like. Adorable dog by the way.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thx all I just ordered a bunch of samples on Samplize. Appreciate the advice

• ptreckel
    11 months ago

Look at the color of the fringe on your area rug. THAT light color would look best in the room, I think. A soft, natural white color. Nothing with a yellowish tinge to it.

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

I think BM Lambskin is too pink.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Received the samples. Alabaster is second from the left. You were right! Now the question is should I add a mantle to this wall? Get rid of the cabinet for a smaller one?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Better context

• Maureen
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

BM has some great whites.

With your dark rug, white couch and rust chairs, white will enhance/complement/lighten room and it feel more modern. Add cushions to pull these components together.

In regards to your mantle question, can you move the tv over the cabinet (lower tv for better viewing) and then a mantle would be a nice addition. Suggest editing accessories on cabinet and try your picture on fireplace. If tv is moved, hopefully couch could go opposite, opening up the room a bit visually and the chairs will feel less bulky.

• Anne Duke
    10 months ago

I would remove the decorative items and add back slowly, putting some away and then rotate in and out over time. You have a lot of smallish items that add heaviness to the environment. Hold off on a mantle until after getting the furniture/decor arrangement settled.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

If I switch the sofa with the chairs won’t it make this area seem very tight?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

The stairs

• Maureen
    10 months ago

Hard to tell…worth trying?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Not completely sure

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Putting stuff away

• Maureen
    10 months ago

I like it better. Maybe the table next to the chair could be placed elsewhere? Try living with for a few days (and then move tv 😊).

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Moving the tv involves a lot of moving of behind the wall cords etc. I’m going to see what happens with paint first. The side table is important to me husband. What if I move the square table to the other side of the sofa?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Better?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Closed the shears

• elcieg
    10 months ago

You want to work with the rug, too. Try a sample of Gray Cashmere on the wall. It will work with the cabinets and the lovely rug. Don't think this paint color as gray. It is a chameleon and does what you want it to do...sometime blue, sometimes green. It is a great, overlooked, color.

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

if you prefer TV where it is, consider getting the mount system behind it where you can bring it down for better viewing height.

• Maureen
    10 months ago

Consider how people will be accessing the room and would the table work better on the other side of the chair.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago

tv is hung way too high.

this looks better. normally viewing height is 56-60" measured from floor to the MIDDLE of the tv.

Also, what's w/the black spotlights? are they necessary? (can't imagine why since you have plenty of recessed lighting. it's not an art gallery) If so, bring in something smaller in white so they're less obtrusive looking.

I like your floors and rug. I think the creamier white wall color will work nicely

here's another one

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

@Beth H those look like TV speakers, not lights.

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Yes those are speakers. The entire condo was purchased with all the electronics and furniture. Once I final sold my 200 year old house, we replaced some of the “condo “ furniture with some “ house” furniture. All of these esthetic issues are final starting to become apparent to me as time goes on. It’s easy to get into a rut where you don’t see things and because you become complacent, you don’t really see it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago

really? those are speakers? wow. I always thought surround speakers were flush. I remember having the ones that mounted on the wall facing the tv, but never have see these ceiling models. Ok, well, maybe you can inset them into the ceiling? or, spray them white?

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

You could take the TV speakers down and get a nice sound bar that could mount beneath the TV. Something to consider anyway.

• tfitz1006
    10 months ago

If you can, I'd get an electrician to move your tv to above the console and do the sound bar instead. Maybe the tv can just sit on the console?

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

View out the back at mid tide. Wiring for a painting estimate

• ShoeBaroff
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Getting the painting done but now I need window covering for this extra wide slider. Ideas?

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

For the sliders maybe look into having a window film put on to diffuse the sun glare and still see out. Could also use blackout drapes (maybe a very subtle color from the rug) that can shift to one side when you want light coming in.