Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_hogan6021127

modernizing curb appeal

Carolyn Oliver
11 months ago

Hi looking looking for ideas on how to modernize the front of our new home- it feels so dated to me

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 months ago

Can you remove the window grids? The rest is fine personally.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I don't think it's that bad. The grass area could use a refresh (along w/your neighbor) I think redoing it and losing the circular planters would really help.

these would look better (on a smaller scale, obviously)

If you can't get your neighbor to go along w/you, try running a flowerbed 'border' that seperate s your two yards. maybe a wider bed w/mulch and some day lilies or otherflower plants.

This way his unkempt lawn won't drag down yours.

you could also do some hardscape w/lots of rocks/ground plants as a dividing line.

The actual house doesn't need much.

Personally I might paint the garage door a slightly darker shade, maybe a new light.

just a quick mock up so you can see

Painting the front door a diff color is another options.

try one of the dusky blush colors like Abalone Shell

Your porch is nice w/the hanging plants and surrounding flowers.

some other tones that might work w/the stone and brick

• L.D. Johnson
    11 months ago

Not a pro here, but:

• consider removing all the white rock borders
    • return the two random beds in front to lawn
    • enlarge the bed around the tree
    • paint the front door a color you love (if allowed by local regulations).
    • add a tall skinny planter to the driveway side of the left pillar, rather than in front of it (Assuming you can clear it if you park in that side of the garage.) Pull out the color in the front door with either the pot or the plantings

Enjoy your new home!

• K Laurence
    11 months ago

I would paint the white railing on the porch the color of your trim. i agree with Beth’s suggestion regarding garage door color & new light fixture.

• Mrs. Beasley
    11 months ago

I agree with LD. I’d remove all of those round circles in your yard. The home is cute! The circles look kinda cheap and silly….sorry.

• tracefloyd
    11 months ago

I don't like the heavy wood 'eyebrows' the same color as the window trim. And I don't like the extra trim pieces with them.

For the space above the upper window trim and over the porch, paint it a slightly lighter color than the siding. Simplify and unify the facade and downplay the dated detail by painting out the eyebrows and up.

Paint over the front wood posts and header with white, cream or the garage color.

Get a handrail for the steps.

It's hard for me to tell on my screen what the colors are, so this rendering is just mock-up of my ideas.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Love all the ideas. I really love the the mock up of the garage door painted the same color as the posts and I LOVE the pink door, with the cherry blossom tree!!! I definitely want to get ride of the round flower beds. Beth can you somehow do a mock up of your ideas? I love the ideas but can’t visualize.

• tracefloyd
    11 months ago

I like the idea of the shared planting area along the property line. If the neighbor agrees to having a curved line that would be ideal. Here's a very rough concept for the line...then do your own thing in your yard. I only show low plants here but the plants along the line should be various heights.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

You've got a quasi-Craftsman look here so I don't think "modernizing" it is the way to go. The paint colors are a little blah, so I'd focus on a new paint job and landscaping.

Some inspiration for color options:

Gracious front porch · More Info

The Atlantic · More Info

I like white for the posts and the trim. Will brighten it up.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Amazing thanks! He has interlock up to his gate and the rest is my land. I think I like the idea of the curved flowerbed but flipped?

• PRO
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

carolyn, yes. any of those ideas could work. celery has a good option too.

maybe plant a row of taller tree like plants so that you get some screening from his side.

doesn't have to be costly if you're willing to do the work. even something simple like this (but w/something planted IN the ground)

you can see how this borders the neighbors lawn.

and this is great if you don'w want to bother with a lawn!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida