Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_274641122

black lower cabinets with soapstone countertops

Ellen Braun
10 months ago

Considering a black and white kitchen, with black lower cabinets, white uppers, soapstone countertops. Hoping to replace the peninsula with an island… either black or white (probably black), and a wood countertop.

I’m not concerned about cutting on the wooden countertop for the island. I always use a cutting board, and i really want the warmth of wood in the middle of the room, to soften the tuxedo look of the rest of the kitchen.

I’m looking for drama with the lower cabinets with the soapstone, and hoping to draw the eye up and lighten the room with the uppers in white. The room only gets indirect light most of the time.
I want the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling, so get rid of the soffit.

Will the black soapstone work for this?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

"Hoping to replace the peninsula with an island… either black or white (probably black), and a wood countertop."

Well. You have two thirds of the kitchen ripped out. Where is the plan in feet and inches before you worry about the tops?

• Ellen Braun
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I had a pipe burst that flooded the kitchen and living room. The insurance is covering demolition you see here, and replacing the flooring, the ceiling, and painting, but not the cabinets or countertop. They had to remove the lower cabinets to remove the ruined flooring. I still have all the cabinets that could be put back in place. But I think they’re dated, and am considering updating. That all depends on cost.

I will probably replace the countertop anyway. It’s an off white corian that’s 25 years old and that I don’t particularly like.

I’m in the process of trying to envision the kitchen without the peninsula, and am trying on ideas for the cabinets… colors, materials, style. I’m also working with a contractor regarding the feet and inches at the same time.

• kculbers
    10 months ago

Soapstone counters are classic and would be fine paired with black lower cabinets, as long as you keep the upper cabinets white and have light colored walls. What color and type flooring are you considering?

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

Since soapstone is not solid black, consider a darker grey rather than black for the base cabinets.

Also I would not necessarily do a bright white for the upper cabinets, but do the wall color for the upper cabinets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 months ago

You need to peek into the soffits for hidden mechanicals before ordering cabinets please.

For reader knowledge, you can safely temporarily support solid surface as pictured, but I would never allow this with natural stone or estone. It would have been best to crosscut the counter, safely remove it, and store it until it was re-installed 1/8" shorter with an inconspicuous seam. I can't imagine the time-wasting and difficulty of trying to plumb and level cabinets with a countertop above. These "contractors" need to get a clue.

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

Before you spend all the money for this kitchen, do yourself a huge favor.

Post a measured, accurate layout of the kitchen (windows and doors too) and let the pros get your new layout right. Many people focus on colors, countertops and appliances but your layout is key. There may not be adequate room for an island, so get this part right before wasting a lot of money. Unfortunately, just because you want an island doesn’t mean it will work.

From your initial photos, the primarily black themed will feel very dark.

• Maureen
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

The white island base might be your easiest decision. Couldn’t find upper white cabinetry, but hope this helps. I’m not a fan, as it breaks up the flow.

A design with different surfaces/cabinetry colors is not easy. I only have two tone cabinets (black lowers/counter and muted blue/grey on top) and struggled with their shades, flooring and wall color, in order to create a cohesive look.

The closest I could find to your description is 1st picture and note the softness of the black and using cream vs going with a stark white/black combo per 2nd picture; so I’d start with that decision.

To mix you up even more, here are some nice combinations you may not have considered.

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

My soffits were mostly empty but the did have a bunch of stuff crammed into one corner. However it made sense to make a nice uniform soffit rather than have a random square bump hanging off the ceiling.

Currently most people want to minimize soffits, but in new construction here that has led to random square bumps here and there.

• Ellen Braun
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Lomo, here are some rough measurements of the space, indicating how much room there might be for an island. He said there’s more than enough room. Any reason you see that there may not be?

• Ellen Braun
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Room dimensions with no cabinets. Just fridge and sink.

• Ellen Braun
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Oops, missed a detail in the bottom right. Hope this gives a better picture of where an island might fit, though.

• Shasta
    10 months ago

I love your inspiration photo with the taupe color uppers(can’t see the lowers) and warm white hood with black soapstone. I think it is much prettier than a black/white color scheme.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Is that 14'1" to the outside wall like you show or the actual interior wall?

What is the measurement from the left wall to the window? From the window to the other windows?

What is the measurement from the edge of the left wall to the door? The measurement of the door?

Kitchen design starts with inch being measured accurately! The pretties come after you get the measurements and placement right.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

Fill in the MIA info . Please. Boldly - ALL INCHES

• claire larece
    10 months ago

I had a kitchen with the same layout except there was a door next to the slider and when we bought the new appliances I actually wanted the fridge where the door was but unfortunately we didn’t get to remodel the space so we had to place it where your first green door is.

• micheleliveshere
    10 months ago

I recently remodeled my (30 yr-old) kitchen and took out black cabinets and replaced with cream cabinets with soapstone. LOVE love love it. I liked the black cabinets initially but really got tired of the dark. I really like the timelessness of cream cabinets and the soapstone counters are beyond my highest expectations. Tip: do everything Joseph Corlett recommends. He is genius and generous with his knowledge.