Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_337240152

Quartz vs granite for dark counters?

HU-337240152
10 months ago

We have narrowed down our kitchen counters to two choices, Black Pearl leathered geanite or Darcrest quartz from Caeserstone. Have heard so many conflicitng opinions about black quartz and granite that am completely confused now. Which material will be easier to maintain?

Comments (17)

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

Always 100% granite will be more bulletproof. Dark quartz can be susceptible to scratches and definitely isn’t good with heat. The Black Pearl granite will be bulletproof in regards to those issues however the leathered finish will show oils that haven’t been cleaned up - clean them up and you’re good as new.

HU-337240152 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

Most importantly what is your vetted fabricator saying about your choices?

HU-337240152 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • HU-337240152
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Part of the issue is that different fabricators have conflicting opinions. Funny enough one thing the fabricators do agree on is that soapstone is terrible whcih goes against everything I read and was told on Houzz (unfortunately we cant do soapstone but just interesting that all the fabricators have strong opinions against it).

• kculbers
    10 months ago

I will add my 2 cents. When I had my 3 bathrooms and kitchen renovated a few years ago ; I chose quartz after lots of research. I have Silestone charcoal soapstone quartz in my kitchen; Pental Thassos white quartz in my laundry / bathroom; and Emerstone Crema Marfil quartz in 2 bathrooms. No scratching, no chipping, no staining, cleans up easy with dish soap and water. You dont have to “ seal” quartz. I cook from scratch daily, so my counters get used alot. I always use silicone trivets for hot items; but always used trivets, even with previous granite counters. Choosing granite or quartz is a personal decision. Best of luck on your journey!

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

Kculbers brings up a good point- higher quality dark quartz coupled with a user that knows what to do or avoid = no problems. I’ve seen an MSI quartz (not the best) with an end user that put a heavy Amazon box on the island and they showed it to the other side - a little bit of grit on the bottom of the box left fine scratches.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO fake plastic stone is the bottom of the list always. Honed or leathered real stone takes a bullet proof materila and turns it into something needing much more work than is neccessary. Soapstone is used in labs for heavens sake so IMO look for fabricators who actully know their business. I would do polished real stone as for choices there are 1000S . I guess dark counters are great I have black counters in a very bright well lit kitchen and I love them. BTW I hve never had polished granite that needed sealing ever . I also like it as a bckspalsh often depending on the spac e.

• Beatrix
    10 months ago

I have leathered granite and it's zero maintenace. Wipe it down with a dishcloth at the end of the night after dinner and that's it. It has a softer, matte, beautifully tactile finish. Contrary to what you might read on here from people who don't actually own leathered granite and have zero idea what they're talking about, crumbs and such do not get stuck in it. I don't know where that ridiculous idea came from. Scratches won't be an issue. It will serve you well for eternity.

If you do the Black Pearl you probably don't even need to seal it because the dark granites are impervious.

Someone below said something about oils showing on leathered granite - I have not found that to be the case at all. Maybe they meant to say honed.

• Lynda Ainslee
    10 months ago

When it comes to maintenance, both materials have their pros. Granite may require a bit more sealing and occasional resealing, but its durability can handle some rough and tumble. On the other hand, quartz is super low-maintenance, with no sealing needed and excellent resistance to stains and scratches. So, if you're all about that easy-breezy maintenance, Darcrest quartz might be your jam.

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

I said it. I have honed leather Pearl Mist granite on our outdoor kitchen and after pizza grilling night there are oil splotches that are visible. But like I said, once cleaned up it’s back to normal. I guess we are just over exuberant with the olive oil:)

• vinmarks
    10 months ago

@Beatrix We have leathered steel gray granite and like you we have no issues. No oil stains, no scratches, no crumbs getting stuck. And contrary to what Patricia Colwell states my leathered granite is simple to maintain and doesnt’t get treated any different than the polished granite I had in my previous house.

• bkind37
    10 months ago

Many people who chose quartz talk about the benefit of quartz and not having to be sealed. Sealing granite isn’t a big project. It’s a simple wipe on/wipe off and i do it once a year Don’t let that be your deciding factor when you make your decision.

• vinmarks
    10 months ago

No sealing isn't hard and not all granite needs to be sealed. My granite was sealed in my previous house at install. I did it one time after that a year later. Then I stopped and we lived in that house with that granite for 15 years and the counters looked just as good as the day they were installed. No stains and we cooked a lot. Same goes for my leathered granite in current house. i am not even sure if they sealed it at install but I have not done any sealing and it's been 5 1/2 years. No stains.

There is nothing wrong with quartz. I just don't like the way it looks.

I don't think OP can go wrong with either of their choices. Black Pearl will not need to be sealed. As far as hot pans and not being able to put them on quartz...I think it is a non issue. You do not want to put hot pans down on granite either. The only issue with quartz and heat is if it is to be used behind a range/range top. Then you have to make sure to read the installation instructions as far as clearances to combustibles.

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

You need to set a crock pot or any appliance that gives off heat on a tray or silicone mat to give a buffer between it and quartz. I’d do the leathered granite every day of the week - it’s less money than quartz too so win win

• cupofkindnessgw
    10 months ago

Granite, hands down.

• chispa
    10 months ago

I've used granite, quartzite, quartz, corian and limestone for counters, so I'm open to all materials for different designs and needs.

In your case, I would also go with the granite.

As far as sealing granite, I have never sealed any granite I have owned, even the outdoor granite counter that faced west/south in So CA. All the dirt and grease from the bbq grill wiped up with regular kitchen cleaners.

• M Miller
    10 months ago

This decision is all about aesthetics, not about maintenance. Black Pearl granite is one of the very dense granites that does not need to be sealed, and will not stain or etch. So take the maintenance of granite off your list of deciding factors. It boils down to which appearance do you prefer, the Black Pearl granite or the Darcrest Quartz?

I am like @chispa and have never sealed my granite counters, in 3 different kitchens.

• User
    10 months ago

Probably too late for your decision, but...... we have leathered Absolute Black on our island and love it. It gives a bit of interest vs the honed African Ivory granite in the rest of the kitchen. As others have said, the leathered does show marks/oils/grease but cleans up with even just water or a bit of granite cleaner. Can't remember if it was sealed when it was installed.