Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/25/2023

Funkyart
11 months ago

Now that we are officially in summer, how are you doing with your progress to improve your healthy lifestyle?

Share your experiences, progress and challenges..

Comments (20)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Sorry I haven't been posting as much the last week or so... all is good but I haven't had much time or much to post. I am holding steady but no real strides forward. I intend to double down this week to try to re-spark my losses.

I hope to check out rowing machines in person this week -- it sure seems like a great option for me but I want to make sure I will take to it before investing in a rower.

I am in the process of scheduling a trip at the end of July and a few others in the coming months. I'd love to be down another 10lb by Sept.. an aggressive goal but not out of the realm of possibility.

Hoping everyone has a great week ahead!

• legomom23
    10 months ago

I had a good week, all things considered. I got in a decent amount of exercise thanks to several good days of pickleball. I saw Dan Buettner - the Blue Zone guy - say that the best sports for longevity were racquet sports, and he rated pickleball the best ;) It is in no way as physically demanding as tennis, but it is decent exercise. And I think mentally very good for you - you have to think quickly, strategize and have fast reflexes all at the same time. Plus you play on and off for hours, so the time moving really adds up while you're having fun. And the people are so nice.

I didn't do quite as well with food - calorie wise I was probably OK, but I ate Chick Fil A more than necessary. I did OK towards my 800 gram fruits and vegetable goal, making it most days. But I'm sure I ate more than I would have without the goal so that's good. I like the concrete numbers - 30 different plant products, 800 grams of fruits and vegetables. I just can't work all of that in with my protein! No room left for fun foods :)

I realized in France I had no artificial sweeteners - stevia or otherwise. I drank espresso in the mornings, water and wine the rest of the time. An occasional small real coke. So, I'm considering becoming a coffee drinker! I never really had coffee before that trip. I'm sure I had the good stuff too. Spoiled from the get go. I think I'll start experimenting and see if I can find something I like for home.

I need to refocus on resistance/weight training. That is really what gets lost first, and is probably more important than all that cardio. Wish it were as fun!

Funky - I hope you like rowing!

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • DawnInCal
    10 months ago

Nothing much to report.

I skipped a day of walking because my knees hurt after the two+ mile walk to the farmer's market. I guess that is a distance I will have to work up to.

I also continue to do a lot of physical work in the yard including carrying around big bags of soil and moving decent size rocks. I'm preparing to build a stone/paver patio in our front yard. Hubby scoffs, but I'm confident I can do it. :-)

The weight continues to come off very s l o w l y, but I think that's a good thing in the long term. Each week, I'm able to wear something I couldn't wear the week before which is encouraging.

A few months ago, I started making a conscious effort to cut my portions in half and I'm now noting that smaller amounts of food fill me up and if I continue eating I feel very uncomfortable afterwards. This is allowing me to eat whatever I want since I can't eat very much of anything. I should note that we eat a pretty healthy diet all the time, but it's nice to be able to have a treat now and then without suffering the consequences.

Several years ago, I read an article about a study that was done regarding stomach shrinkage. The stomach is a very stretchy organ and if one reduces their food intake, the stomach shrinks accordingly and is able to hold less food. On the flip side, eat huge portions and the stomach stretches to accommodate. I think that is the basic principal behind stomach stapling surgery. Anyway, I don't recall the number, but I believe it was somewhere around 35% shrinkage took place over a period of several weeks and I think that is what is happening to me since reducing food intake.

Funkyart, good luck with your rowing machine search. I have a friend who has one and she loves it.

legomom, pickleball has become such a popular sport and continues to grow in popularity. Glad you are enjoying it and having fun with your exercise routine.

A great and healthy week to all!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Sorry to hear of your knee pain, Dawn! Knee pain throws everything off in your body!

I too found that my stomach shrank when I decreased my portions-- I feel very uncomfortable whenever I eat too much .. or when I eat too much meat.

I am probably going to start a thread to get some input on rowing machines from a broader range of people. I have seen a lot of sites mentioning the Concept 2 rowers but also some others. My "go-to" shop for cycling and fitness equipment carries only Spirit and Bodycraft rowers. I found a few other local stores but none sell Concept 2. I am very open to buying used but I do want to try it first-- and preferably not in some stranger's house LOL.

• jmck_nc
    10 months ago

Funky, we had a concept 2 for several years. We enjoyed it but not enough to keep up with it. Most crossfit gyms use this type of rower so that may be an avenue to try one if you can'f find a local dealer. If there is a Crossfit nearby you can ask if you can come in for a demo (most folks in that arena are very welcoming).

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for the tip-- I am pretty sure we must have a crossfit gym in the area but since I don't drive, i am not as familiar with what's where. I'll google looking for a gym rather than a dealer this time.. and check with friends.

MOST people I know have given up their home gyms for an away-from-home gym ... but they may still have some places to recommend. Not sure what makes me think I'll use the rower when I haven't set foot on the treadmill more than a handful of times ... I guess I think "new shiny thing"???

• jmck_nc
    10 months ago

It is hard to get motivated at home. Thus the end of the rower for us. I just ordered a Pilates reformer and specialized mat. I hope to use them and eventually maybe see clients in my home when I've finished my training (<50 practice teaching hours to go!). If not, these thing hold their value quite well, so I can re-sell...but I really hope it doesn't come to that!

• legomom23
    10 months ago

I'm not great at working out at home either. I'm considering joining a gym with a trainer to help with the machines. I do better with an assigned time and someone pushing me at that kind of thing. And I really do believe in muscle building for glucose control and metabolism help. I just can't make myself do it enough to matter on my own.

Our rowing machine doesn't get a lot of use from me, but DH uses it several times a week. He loves it and has a nice interval workout he does. I did like the Dark Horse Rowing YouTube videos for workouts though. Rowing is hard and I am not good at pushing myself at home. Too easy to give up, move on. That's why I do well with walking - if I walk away from my house for 2 miles, I have to walk 2 more miles to get home:)

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • pricklypearcactus
    10 months ago

Well this illness has really set me back. I'm still sick. Tested negative for C at least, but I'm still staying at home (ordering in groceries, etc) since I don't think anyone else wants this either. Sunday and Monday I was a complete wreck but I'm feeling a bit better today. Unfortunately I'm coughing like crazy at night which is ruining my sleep. My fasting is taking a back seat while I try to get well since it doesn't seem to be a good mix with a virus.

While I am not exercising right now until I feel capable, I do like being able to exercise at home. And I see nothing wrong with buying some new (or used) equipment to support that effort. Even if you end up changing things up in a few years, it may be worth it if the workout works for you. There have been periods of my life where a gym worked best and other periods where home works best. And nothing wrong with trying different things until something sticks or just because you like to rotate through different routines.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • gsciencechick
    10 months ago

Hi, Everyone,

I did mat Pilates the other day and some time in the weight room at the Y. @legomom, I really find using the weight room and waiting around for the equipment to be pretty boring. But I did it. Maybe if someone was with me. I also looked at package of personal training sessions, but I am already paying for the Pilates personal training, and that is more specialized skill than just going to use weights so I feel that is money better spent. Really, for weights, anything you do that will overload your body where the last couple of reps are challenging will work, doing that 2-3 days per week with 48 hours off between muscle groups. But if you are not sure where to get started, then book a trainer and many places will do an orientation session.

The Y outdoor pool was empty so I need to look into that!

I do not like cardio machines overall other than my treadmill desk. I don't like using bikes, ellipticals, rowers, on my own unless I am in spin class which I haven't done since the pandemic although I did it since the late 1990's. I could probably try again, but being in a closed room when there was a lot of C going around and everyone breathing forcefully is not something I wanted to do. I swear in the past I did get the flu a couple of times from the spin rooms because no one I knew was sick. I'd way rather do a group fitness class, even the virtual Zumba is fine.

Jmck_nc, I am so jealous you are getting a Reformer! What brand? I saw a couple last month on FB Marketplace (I don't even have a FB account) but it's really the space to have one. One was a Merrithew with the box, etc. asking about $1800 and the other was an Aero Pilates 565 that I think was around $900. Only thing is I would need to check length because some are too tall for me. She has one at the studio good for taller people but it is hard for me to use being shorter.

prickleypear, I am sorry you are sick! Ugh. It IS good to change up exercise.

We got my bike tuned up and I bought a new bike rack, but it is missing parts, so I have to have those shipped to me. So, we still haven't done our bike ride.

Bought some extra vegetables this week but also need to hit the farm stand for strawberries and peaches. Our tomatoes are starting to come in as well as the grapes ripening.

• gsciencechick
    10 months ago

Ooh, that looks really nice! Congrats! Maybe at some point I will have more space.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • jill302
    10 months ago

Hope everyone's week is going well. I am enjoying hearing about all the steps everyone is taking to be healthier. Much sympathy to @pricklypearcactus and @DawnInCal, hope you both are feeling better soon.

My week was about the same. My weight loss over the last month has been dismal, only a 1/2 pound. At least I am not going the other direction.

I finally saw a doctor for the arm and shoulder pain I have been experiencing for the last 3 months. I had xrays yesterday and will be meeting with a physical therapist. The doctor thinks my issue is a pinched nerve in my neck as well as muscle spasms. Now on muscle relaxants, oh joy. Can not drink alcohol or drive. Having difficulty concentrating, hope that I will have improvement soon. I am scared to do any upper body workouts, do not want to make things worse.

Funkyart thanked jill302
  • gsciencechick
    10 months ago

Got in the extra session small group reformer today. I’m in the orange tank. Not sure what we will do this weekend in the high heat and humidity and poor air quality.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • pricklypearcactus
    10 months ago

Just checking in again and I am still sick. I haven't exercised for almost two weeks and I am hating it. I feel sick but sort of ok during the day (mild coughing, laryngitis, and runny nose), then at night I am miserable. Waking myself up with coughing fits, stuffed up, runny nose. Can't sleep well and keep waking up absolutely miserable with esophogus pain and chest discomfort. Then by afternoon I start feeling better and thinking that I'm on the mend. It's really frustrating. I did try fasting earlier this week and that was a huge mistake. Lesson learned that fasting while ill is not good for my body. Anyhow, mostly I'm just complaining because I feel like I'm being set back after working so hard. I'm really hoping tomorrow morning I'll be up for lap swimming. Thank you everyone for the kind well-wishes!

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • legomom23
    10 months ago

@pricklypearcactus - I am so sorry you are still sick. That is a bummer. I hope you start feeing better. That is really hanging on. Try not to push yourself, easier said than done when you miss exercise I'm sure. Maybe some natural sunlight Vitamin D or the supplement.

@gsciencechick - you are so right about standing around waiting for equipment. That will drive me nuts.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Oh gosh, Pricklypear, I am so sorry you are still ill! Glad you are starting to feel better but hope you can clear it out completely soon!

I am second guessing the rower-- more than a couple people have told me that it is HARD. My sister said that it may work for me because I was a competitive swimmer years ago but still have a lot of back strength ... but 1/2 the people who have said it is hard are men who are much stronger than I am. I definitely want to give it a try before i spend any more time shopping for one.

I had a very eye opening experience this week. I bought a pair of sunglasses that I had tried on 3 yr ago ... I had taken a photo of me wearing them so I scrolled back through my photos and OMG. I was sooooo much heavier then. I keep saying that I just don't see my losses--especially in my face-- but I was blind and probably in some denial. I was tempted to share a photo in case it would give someone else some encouragement -- but honestly, I can't bring myself to do it. I AM 73 lb lighter. I don't yet feel the pride in that ... I am still working on the disgust (after the fact lol) of how bad I had allowed it to get.

unrelated to a healthy lifestyle, here are the sunglasses. The chain on mine is silver-- as I already have sunglasses with gold detailing. They are my first BIG sunglasses. They got a huge thumbs up from my sister.

• jmck_nc
    10 months ago

Funky, it is so true about not being able to see your progress day to day. A few years ago when I was down on myself I found a pic from a few years (and more than a few pounds) before and I made a photo collage of "then and now" to keep on my phone. When I get down on myself I look at it and it helps...maybe also look at times of weakness with diet to remind you of how far you've come!

Funkyart thanked jmck_nc
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Jmck, the collage is such a great idea!

It really was shocking to see how much I have lost ... but I really don't want to look at my old photos. I am disgusted by them but they still make me feel bad about where I was... rather than good about my progress. Maybe that will change when I am a little further along.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! THAT is what keeps me going when I feel down on myself.

• jill302
    10 months ago

@pricklypearcactus hoping you are on the mend soon. My DH recently has a non-covid URI took him a little over 2 weeks to feel better. His cough went another week. Keep an eye on yourself though, you do not want to end up with bronchitis or pneumonia.

@Funkyart my neighbor who is 80 uses a rower. She started a few months ago after hip surgery. She is in great shape for 80, but I am guessing that most of us could use a row machine if we start slowly and build on the excercise.