Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_113739243

hiring architect

bill maylor
10 months ago

Hi

I am interested in adding to my house and it will be 600-800 sq foot addition including family room, bathroom and bedroom. I called a few architects and they all quoted around 15% charge based on cost of construction. Not sure how that works as construction costs vary. How does the payment work. Also do they generally keep providing plans until one is found that you like. or is it just one and done. we may have issues building due to being near nature preserve. How to decide which architect to go with .

Thank you

Bill

Comments (33)

• PRO
    DeWayne
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Which has done work you like? Which is easy going, and you can see will handle the inevitable conflicts without becoming uncomfortably aggressive? Which have you actually interviewed in person, and asked about their entire process? Their inspirations? The builds that taught them the most? Who is a single practicioner? A small hands on firm? A medium firm with staff? A large firm with a name and staff who will handle most of the work? Do you want something unique, or do you want things that blend in with the neighborhood? Even if it's bad design? Can you "see" the difference between good design and bad design? What is an example of a residence that you would call good design? What about a public building? Why do you think those are "good", instead of just "popular"? Can you define the difference to yourself? Out loud to a 3rd party?

Realize the architect will interview you as much as you will them. Be prepared to have a mission statement for the build, the finances for the build, and be able to articulate what you think is good design, with affirmative statements and pictures to back it up.

bill maylor thanked DeWayne
  • la_la Girl
    10 months ago

I would definitely use your network and see who works in your area and comes highly recommended - look at past projects they have done (in person) to make sure they are a fit for your project and you like what they have done. It is a nice bonus if your contractor and architect have worked together before and have a good relationship - trust makes the communication much better, which makes everything better -

bill maylor thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 months ago

In our area, large architectural firms quote 12% of the cost of construction for remodel plans. I don't know how that works either. You may find an architect willing to work by the hour and produce only a "basic builder" set of plans which may be all you need for the remodel. A design/build firm is another alternative. Some will have architects on staff or work exclusively with one architect. I recommend selecting your remodeling contractor up front and having them provide cost estimates to inform the design process.

bill maylor thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • kandrewspa
    10 months ago

We did a job this size on our old house. We used an architect we had used on the house before that, and a contractor our next door neighbor (at the time) used. The next door neighbor also used the same architectural firm, so that was a good sign. If you know anyone locally who has done a similar project it is always best to get a recommendation if you can. Otherwise you know nothing (I'm not sure about the value of online reviews) and have to interview them as DeWayne says. However, just from a one hour conversation you should be able to get some idea of whether they'll be a good fit if you have done some preparation upfront. Be sure to talk to them about your hopes and expectations for turnaround times. You can expect good architects to be busy and multiple iterations may take a long time. I think we spent nine months in the design phase, which felt long, but the end result was so good it was worth it. We were billed by the hour so we could do as many iterations as we wanted to. I believe we did three. It ended up costing much less than 12% of construction costs, but the architect did not perform any project management. Sometimes they do. Discuss this when you're interviewing firms. You may or may not want this. DH is an engineer and knew whether they were on track with the build and work through issues as they arose.

Our contractor was very experienced (30 years) and the majority of his work was on additions. He didn't need to advertise. He kept his company small because he liked being hands on and had excellent subcontractors in the different trades because of the long time he was in business. We had to wait nine months for him to be available to do our job and it took about five months. We had him do two bathroom remodels before doing the addition so we knew how he worked before going bigger. Because he had a small business he only worked one job at a time so he didn't disappear for long periods of time on other projects like some do. Good luck!

bill maylor thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 months ago

Not all architects charge a percentage of construction. When I was doing home design I worked on an hourly rate with a guaranteed maximum, a model which is fairer to the client since there is no incentive to increase construction costs. I would try and find someone who works that way instead of a percentage of construction.

bill maylor thanked RappArchitecture
  • PRO
    SafelyBuild
    10 months ago

Hi Bill, been there done that, I have the architect of my project do the same thing, they wanted a percentage so they over built the house. On top of that they wanted to get paid before the completion of the project. So they usually just do an estimate of what it would cost you to build it. I know it’s very confusing, but I can guarantee it won’t be in your favor. I would do a flat fee and call it a day, if they want to charge the hourly, be cautious they might drag it out, and you will be always waiting for the revised plans.
    On that note, will they be willing to make a few visits down to the building department if necessary? Would that be part of the contract? :-)

As far as revisions usually they will usually (hopefully in writing) give you three or four of those usually it’s pretty simple as everything’s on computer. If, however, the architect has already done some structural work, and the changes requested at that point there might be some additional costs for the engineer.

bill maylor thanked SafelyBuild
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

Look for a RESIDENTIAL architect. Look for one with an hourly fee structure. One familiar with the town, the permit process, and of course the nature preserve.

Can't speak to your situation, But an 800 sq feet add, in this area? Not getting out for less than 200k - 250k and that means fairly moderate. More bells and whistles equals more. Hypothetical ? If it took a residential arch from start to completion permits/construction drawings blah blah et all 100 hours? @ 200.00 per hour?

That's 20k - 25 k and 10 % to get it right.

bill maylor thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO check out some work done by architects you are rthinking of . I mean additions not complete builds I like an addition to look like it was always there and some architects do that well and some not so much. As for the actual work thta is discussed along with the charge at the very first meeting. Do not go with a huge list of wants but an open mind as to what you can get for your budget . Where I live rihgt now $400 / sq ft is normal for buildadditions are pretty much the same. My advice first visit the town office and find out what you can build next to a nature reserve not point is having a design you can't build.

bill maylor thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Kendrah
    10 months ago

Meet with them in person and in your space to interview them. I did this recently for a project that just ended. There were such varying visions between architects. Some clearly had dreams but no grasp on reality, which was shocking given their experience level. Others just didn't want to listen to me and had their own ideas. Some clearly didn't want to take a job as small as mine and I knew I would be blown off somewhere in the process for other bigger clients. Lastly, the chemistry has to be good between the two of you. After all that, ask for references and call other clients of theirs to see how the work experience went. Pictures of their work are nice but don't tell all about the working relationship and how well the job was done.

bill maylor thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

It sounds like you asked a few architects what their fee is without asking what that fee includes. You are asking questions of others than the ones you should be asking the questions of.

Some architects specialize in residential construction of variable intensity, offering services to match those intensities. They are many sole proprietor architects with relatively low overhead to help accommodate those that want to build a simple home for themselves without the need to build architectural monuments; a home that looks good and works well.

Look for a local architect that works on their own and has several years of experience in designing in a style you like. Ask them all the questions you have. They are use to being asked a lot of questions.

bill maylor thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Monique
    10 months ago

Asking about fees like you are buying a loaf of bread is counter productive. You arent even narrowing down if you want a classic mass market white bread or a locally produced artisan 7 grain one.

bill maylor thanked Monique
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 months ago

Fees charged for services is certainly a relevant consideration when choosing a service provider. Perhaps a more productive way of asking the question is "My overall budget for the project including design is X. What percentage of the budget should I allocate for your firm to do the required design work and what would that include?"

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

I think the point is here, that ALL good design costs money. It often is the single best investment one can make, and will usually result in a large compensation via efficiency, comfort, function customized to you, and certainly beauty.

It's money spent.......once : ) and the payback is over years and years.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

Look for a tall, grey haired local architect, slightly overweight, with wrinkled face and dresses like an unmade bed.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 months ago

With one black shoe, by any chance?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

It is funny you ask. Most of the time I live in the Detroit area but travel up to the Traverse City area where most of my projects are every week or two. A couple weeks ago I left the Detroit area while it was still dark to have four meetings in the Traverse City area that day, and two meetings the next day. On the way I stopped at a rest area to 'powder my nose' and noticed I had two different shoes on. I did not want to wake my wife so I had gotten dressed in the dark. When I told my wife, she forbid me to go to any meeting with two different shoes on; so I stopped at the outlet stores to buy a new pair of Sperry Topsiders before my first meeting.

When I told each of my client the story of my mismatched shoes, none of them said they would have minded if I had two different shoes on. But my wife is happy, and when my wife is happy I have a happy life.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 months ago

You are not alone, Mark....

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 months ago

I went to church one Sunday sporting my favorite American flag socks. As I pulled up my pants legs to enable my daughter--who was sitting next to me-- to admire them, I realized I had two different, albeit similar, shoes on. Sometimes we need to be humbled. Sometimes we're humbled whether we need to be or not.

• Kendrah
    10 months ago

Smart wife.

bill maylor thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Can I be copied on your private discussion as it relates to this public discussion?

EDIT: A comment was removed that makes this comment loose its relevance.

• Architectrunnerguy
    10 months ago

I haven't had a chance to come by here lately but saw this thread and thought I'd give my perspective but I never have liked it when a responder tries to take a public discussion private.

bill maylor thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 months ago

Agree, it's bad form. Too bad Houzz isn't very proactive in monitering these discussions.

bill maylor thanked RappArchitecture
  • PRO
    Safely Build
    10 months ago

My apologies to everyone, I am rather new to this comment section. I thought it might be easier to chat back-and-forth although it seems as though that’s bad form. Again, my apologies :-) Ds

• chispa
    10 months ago

Your best bet is to get local referrals. Ask local neighbors and friends for names of people, or addresses of houses they drive by, who have done similar additions. You'll get names of local architects, design/build companies and contractors. Talk to all of the ones that got good reviews.

bill maylor thanked chispa
  • AC M
    10 months ago

Sometimes real estate agents who live in your area, or have sold houses in your neighborhood know of good architects and builders and can give you some recommendations. Definitely go on a tour of some projects any architects you are seriously interested in working with have designed too, actually standing in a space and getting the feel for it is so much more helpful than pictures.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

While sitting across the table from an architect you trust, if you happen to peek and see they are wearing two different shoes, don't worry about it.

• Architectrunnerguy
    10 months ago

Mark....I'm trying to make a serious point here.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

And a good point it is, and a serious point it is in ways.

Years ago I walked into a Chinese art store in Portland, Oregon where there were all kinds of art by the proprietor and others. There was a rack with T-shirts for sale on it. As I looked through the T-shirts, one caught my attention that had four or five Chinese characters running down the left side of the front of the T-shirt. I asked the proprietor what it meant. He looked at me, squinted his eyes and said, "Life is too important," then a big smile came across his face, "to be taken seriously", and walked away. I bought the T-shirt. It was a life lesson.

As serious as fees are, they are a destination, and a small part of the building process, a journey. Focus on the whole design/construction process and keep an attitude that will help you enjoy it, and surround your project with like minded talented people.

And keep shopping for a local architect that fits.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    9 months ago

This thread has the potential to be Most Memorable Posting of the Year...!

bill maylor thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Accept this as fact:

"Fees are important of course but at the same time you're not price shopping for apples, your buying talent and creativity." To which I will add......

You are buying art, science, arduous education, experience, taste, (I shouldn't leave out therapy sessions) and yes all above from "runnerguy".

A fee is simply a method, a necessary reward, ( no matter how it is structured ) to pay the person/s with these attributes who then will apply ALL of them to you and your project.

Does anyone know for fact how long it took Monet to paint the lily's? No. How long it took Andy to create the soup can? No. What if you don't like either? : ) .........lol What if it is an awful analogy? Like mis matched shoes for Gods sake.

The fact is? Designers, architects, all. We agonize over the best way to structure a fee. It's murder, really. Much depends YOU. How trusting are you of the talent you hire? Do you need to see every possible option on the planet? Or can you accept that nobody , no designer of anything, nor one "talent" worth a scintilla of a cent, brings you their worst idea first, working their way to the best idea. I mean.....nobody. does. this. But. Time IS money. The more you need to see? The more you shall pay, in some way. Or? You won't get to see as MUCH.

• Architectrunnerguy
    9 months ago

.........lol What if it is an awful analogy? Like mis matched shoes for Gods sake.

LoL... Now THAT'S well said!

And I guess @Bill Maylor has left the building. It'd be great to get some kind of response.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

The OP may not return.......

Analogy?

I ask a client for a round number budget:

"What's the $$ amount of your gag threshold / I will die if it costs me more than________"

Answer?

" I just want the best looking house I can have, for the least amount of money."

Case rested.