Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skiadesign

Has Marvin quality and service deteriorated in the last year or two?

Skia Design LLC
9 months ago

As a custom home designer for more than 20 years, I have often specified and seen installed Marvin windows (usually the Essential/formerly Infinity and Elevated/formerly Integrity) in a number of my projects. I had never heard of any compaints and I even installed Essentials in my own guest suite addition a couple years ago. I'm happy with them. A builder whom I trust and who has built a number of my designs started getting impressed with Marvins (he preferred Pella, and Pella and Andersen dominate the market around here in SW Virginia, even though there's a Marvin Essentials plant in Roanoke).

But, he now tells me he's been having horrible experiences of late, not only with lead times but also some very serious manufacturing issues, along with attendant problems of trying to resolve the problems.

So, is anyone else (esp. you other pros, whether builders, designers, or architects) seeing this out there? On a current home in the early stages of construction the builder wants to go back to Pella (Lifestyle). In all my previous research I have seen that Pella doesn't have such a hot track record, so have tended to avoid specifying them.

If true about Marvin this all gets me thinking that maybe a better long term strategy would be to install inexpensive but relatively well-reviewed windows (if there really is such a thing), such that whenever the inevitable failures occur the lifecycle costs end up less. The alternative is to specify what I have found to be nearly bulletproof (not literally!:-), very expensive windows. I have found that the German-made steel reinforced cPVC Tilt & Turns fit the bill. But, most of my clients do not have deep pockets so this is usually a non-starter.

Opinions welcome, but also some real world info, along with keeping in mind the niche I serve. Bring it on.

Comments (8)

• chispa
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I had Marvin windows installed in our new custom home in May of 2021. They are hurricane/impact rated as required in our area. Other than long lead times at that particular time and our local Marvin distributor ordering 3 wrong handed casement windows, which had to be reordered with the same long lead times, I am happy with the look and quality of the windows. No issues with manufacturing or delivery.

We used a mix of Marvin Signature including Ultimate casement Push out, Ultimate casement, and Elevate casement.

Our previous house had vinyl Milgard Windows and many window seals were already failing when we bought the house that was 10 years old. Also lots of broken crank mechanisms. We definitely wanted much better windows in our new house and we feel we got much better quality and design with the Marvin windows. I am hoping for a long lifespan with few service calls!

• millworkman
    9 months ago

I have not heard if these issues with Marvin. Although I am in the commercial market mostly these days I still have friends in the residential who sell Marvin. Did Marvin have some issues during the pandemic, certainly. Did some of their distributors have major issues during the pandemic, absolutely. That being said ALL companies had issues and many continue to have pandemic related issues. I would not be afraid to use Marvin, everyone has issues from time to time and my experience has always been that Marvin as a whole (distributors can be a bit different) handled issues promptly and professionally. I cannot say the same from Pella, company wise or dealer wise.

• rwiegand
    9 months ago

One tiny data point-- I recently complained to them about the quality of the plastic pins that hold their screens in on our 10 year old windows, many were breaking, They sent me free replacements of a much better new design for all of our windows.

• oberon476
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Just a couple points for clarification to avoid confusion.

Marvin's original fiberglass line contained two options, Infinity - an all fiberglass replacement window that you could only get with installation included, and Integrity - two versions, all fiberglass or fiberglass with wood interior.

Marvin rebranded Integrity as Essentials - all fiberglass version of Integrity, and Elevate (no d) - fiberglass with wood interior version.

Infinity did not get rebranded as Essentials, the Infinity name remained unchanged and that window is still available under that name.

Originally Marvin produced both Integrity and Infinity in Fargo and Integrity in the "new" plant in Roanoke. Eventually they changed the Roanoke plant to Infinity and the Infinity plant in Fargo to Integrity (both versions). But that was a few years ago and could have changed again. Where the windows are produced shouldn't, but sometimes does, affect quality.

Knowing Marvin, if they are having issues, they will fix it.

edit: changed an all replacement window to an all fiberglass replacement window

• PRO
    Skia Design LLC
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks for these comments so far.

This is something the builder I mentioned said:

"The main issues I see are windows not being built square with frames that are straight. This is just someone being sloppy when putting the windows together. Also, we have had two units that were factory mulled that failed after installation due to caulking/sealant not applied at the factory. We have begun to check all factory mulled units for caulking/sealant before we install them and have found that this is a recurring issue. Also, they are having issues with locking handles for their exterior doors. We had to replace at least one handle on every job we have done for the last few years. It is kind of a pain because we need to remove the door slab and pull apart the whole multipoint locking system, a 2 hour job for two people that I don’t get reimbursed for because they wont send out a service rep to take care of it. I have spoken to Marvin about this recurring issue also and was told that they were having issues with the manufacturer in China keeping consistent tolerances on the locking mechanism. I have been trying to avoid Marvin if possible on other jobs until I hear that these issues have been resolved."

Also, anyone, feel free to comment on this review website: https://marvin-windows-and-doors.pissedconsumer.com/review.html#reviews Now, I get it that angry consumer websites do not paint a clear picture of the overall situation, the sample size being too small but, except for over two decades ago when Marvin had the issue with (I seem to recall) the bad wood in their frames and sashes, I would never have expected there to be a spate of complaints of this magnitude showing up, esp. relative to Pella. And, it's not just that one website. It's not difficult to find current complaint in other places as well. Houzz is the exception right now, which is part of the reason for posting this question here.

• PRO
    Skia Design LLC
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks for the clarifications, oberon476.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    8 days ago

Some people will question if real Marvins/Story on this site and get upset that I post this on old post but......Cracks Flaking within 80 days from when instalation began. 1 year later 2 Marvin trips bondo and spray paint huge cracks / waiting on me to find my own Pro Painter for interior quote fax it to them for approval. Claim I approved all exterior.

Yes this is not where the label was originally and yes there are two labels style on my windows.