Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (71)

• 3katz4me
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Wow - nothing like that at my salon and a haircut is $40. Our stylist (DH and I both go to her) is independent - just rents a chair so I would think she makes her own rules. We leave big tips because her prices are so low and she is so good and such a delightful person. In fact we’re going over to her house later today to finally meet her DH who has a lot in common with mine.

• sas95
    9 months ago

I think the another offputting thing about the policy at eld's salon is the $50 consultation fee. Yes, it can be applied to a service, but the few times I have had consultations it has been to figure out whether this a person who I'd want performing a particular service on my hair. So If I decide no, I don't like what they are proposing to do, I don't see why I'd have to pay them $50 for a few minutes of their time. That is a cost of their trying to get new business.

And I agree that I have had people call me last minute to cancel hair appointments where the stylist is sick, had a death in the family, etc. It's called life. So I think I should be getting the same courtesy for my emergency cancellations, so long as they are a rare occurrence and not the norm.

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • maddielee
    9 months ago

The salon must have had a problem having no shows to need to implement the new

policy .

Those prices are much higher then I see locally.

Every doctor that we see charges a fee for missed appointments.

The most famous restaurant (Berns Steakhouse) in Tampa started having a $25.00/per person deposit when making reservations last year. The new policy has helped tremendously with the problem they were having with no shows. They fill up 60 days out.

The deposit money that is forfeited by the no shows is given to Feeding Tampa Bay.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

I have seen a lot of restaurants taking a deposit. I think that is a little obnoxious, except in the case of very small restaurants with maybe 2 seatings a night. If worded nicely, I get it.

I understand why firms have this policy. But my view is, you are sending hostile vibes to me as a customer with such policies. I get it for some things, but not for someone who is positioning themselves as a high end purveyor. Luxury experiences should not include such considerations. Your problem with inconsiderate clientele is not my problem. Make it seamless for me.

eld6161 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • sas95
    9 months ago

The restaurant deposit thing irks me. There is a sushi bar I like in NYC with this policy and it's no issue for me because they have about 12 seats, but generally if I'm on OpenTable and they are asking me for a card, I close that browser window and look for a new place. And we almost never cancel, so it's not the prospect of losing the money, it's the principle.

• lascatx
    9 months ago

The stylist I went to last has a 50% late cancellation or no-show policy. I think it is 24 hrs, but might be 48. I didn't like it, but I get it -- an empty chair is lost income. I did get an email and a text reminder. I especially get the policy for online reservations and new clients. I would expect a stylist or salon to work with an established client in the case of an emergency, but not habitual changes or no shows.

Restaurant reservations have become a problem with people double, triple booking or more and then deciding last minute which one to keep. If those reservations aren't filled with walk-ins, that's lost income. One can likely be filled. Several may not -- and then food prepped may be wasted and a profitable night turns into one that isn't. I've heard that reservation systems are trying to prevent double booking, but a couple could easily book one under each person's name and number, a party of 4 or 6 that many more. And that's if one system is used. There is a reason why these policies are showing up.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I haven’t experienced the restaurant deposit yet. With so many places to choose, no thank you.

DH thought the same as Mtn. Inconsiderate clients shouldn’t alter how a considerate long time client is treated

• Bunny
    9 months ago

Jeez. I pay $75 for a haircut plus blowdry. Does the generic "stylist" at your salon cut hair for $115 and you leave with wet hair? $65 more for it to be dry? I wouldn't trust a haircut that they didn't finish and adjust when dry.

My salon charges less if you pay in cash, like dollar bills. I don't see how they could require a cc on file if they prefer you pay without one.

• Fun2BHere
    9 months ago

@eld6161, if your colorist is the owner, then I would certainly tell her/him why I have a problem with the policy. If you are a long-time client in good standing, she/he should waive the requirement for you.

eld6161 thanked Fun2BHere
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

Unfortunately, I think that one of the problems is that people used to "luxury experiences" are frequently the sort of people who think they should be able to do whatever they want, no matter how it inconveniences other people. Some of these people are insulated from the every day by a layer of people who are paid to say "yes" to everything they might say. People who show up at Cheesecake Factory, even if they did demand to be seated immediately in a full restaurant, would probably get told to get lost.

On the other hand, when my niece worked in a restaurant that had $300 per head and $1000 per head things on the menu...sometimes people who ate there would show up and expect to be seated immediately no matter what. I know someone who was seated at a the habitual table of someone whose name many of you would recognize, IF she showed up, and when she showed up hours later the management asked them if they would please move to another table, while they were in the middle of meal. They said "No.", and the celebrity sat at a table nearby and tried to make everybody's life miserable for the rest of the night. (I would probably have moved,)

We have a number of well-heeled clients at one work place and one woman's husband changed her appointment and said "Don't worry, I will tell her", Of course he didn't, and when she came in, and was told her husband had changed her appointment, she said "Well, I am here now, so you will just have to see me" When she was told this was not possible, she looked around at other people in the waiting room and said "Just ask these people to reschedule, I am sure some will be willing to do it". When this idea was rejected she said "Well you Know anything has to be through my Assistant. My Husband! Why would you trust my F----g Husband to pass on a piece of information! My Husband has to be told where he is Going in the morning! And then she cursed a lot threw her belongings on the floor and ran into the bathroom sobbing.

A patient actually came up and said "I actually will reschedule because this is obviously really important to her." She was told No. we werent going to cater to someone's tantrum.

A note was later delivered apologizing for cursing and sobbing in the office, but not really for just expecting someone she didn't even know to give up their appointment for her. It still puzzled her that that wasn't just a given.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

When you go to Costco, they check your receipt and look through your basket on the way out. Try that at Cartier.

• gsciencechick
    9 months ago

Bunny, I think the blow dry is a style, like how I go to Drybar. That is all they do, styles, no cutting or coloring. A regular wash and blow dry at Drybar is $55 here. This includes doing beach waves, etc.

I think Pal hit the nail on the head and he said some people used to luxury experiences may want their every whim accommodated. That's probably the best way to put it.

eld6161 thanked gsciencechick
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

Cartier, Tiffany, Chanel, just different levels of security. They know what you are walking out with because unless you are pulling some sort of elaborate scam, or ram a truck into the front of the store and do a smash and grab, you are being directly assisted by someone who knows exactly what they are showing you and there are security guards discreetly standing around. You aren't wandering up and down aisles touching everything all by yourself.

eld6161 thanked palimpsest
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

Wow am I out of touch. I just go for a haircut when I need it to great clips...I have a coupon now for $12.99. And they will dry it and clean up any stray ends. They don't take appointments but you sign up on line so you can be next in line when you get there. I just can't imagine paying that much for something that's going to have to be done again in a few weeks. But as I said, I'm out of touch with the real world...in many ways.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • lascatx
    9 months ago

The only time I've had an issue at Costco, we had been charged for an item twice and they caught it before we did. The trip from the door to CS was a lot shorter than the trip from home -- and hoping they believe you that you only got one of the item when you get there.

eld6161 thanked lascatx
  • maddielee
    9 months ago

I’m thinking its not the loyal, good paying, high tipping customer the salon is addressing. Its the holding time for new clients that may or may not show up.

Same rules for all. So there is never a law suit over how people are treated differently.

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

You get my point, though. Luxury customer are not used to being treated as though they are likely to misbehave.

Here's one: at a 5 star hotel, the hangers come off the rod.

• maddielee
    9 months ago

The luxury customers (should say, the ones I like) that I know would understand the need for such a policy.

• bbstx
    9 months ago

Like several others here, the 48 hr / 24 hr thing bothered me.

When DD was about 16, she forgot an appointment to get her hair cut. She got a dressing down the likes of which I don’t think she’d ever had before. I explained to her how the stylist got paid…or did not get paid if someone failed to show. When she rescheduled, I reminded her that a healthy tip (about 50%) was the best way to compensate for her thoughtless behavior, along with a heartfelt apology. AFAIK, she has never again failed to keep a salon appointment without a very good excuse.

DH and I were at a conference. I had about 10-12 clients attending who I wanted to entertain at dinner. The restaurant in the hotel was famous. A month or so before the conference, I contacted them to make reservations. Because of the number, they wanted a healthy deposit (5 figures) and wanted me to sign a contract. I found the contract to be onerous and refused to sign it. The person I was working with explained to me how much in demand reservataions were at their restaurant. Consequently, I took my clients to a different restaurant on a different night. DH was not a planner. As we walked through the hotel lobby, he saw people that his company would want to entertain and invited them to join us for dinner. Before it was over, we had 14 at table with no reservation on the same night I would have been there with a reservation. Obviously, the restaurant was not that in-demand.

eld6161 thanked bbstx
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

Well, yeah, with a special deal for the inexpensive rooms at the Carlyle running $700 -900 a night, they probably don't worry about their hangers.

On the other hand, look at what Anna Delvey got away with for a long time, simply because people thought she was filthy rich. Her behavior was actually quite appalling, she wasn't a particularly gracious con artist.

• maddielee
    9 months ago

The customers at the one local Tiffany’s that I mostly windowshop at don’t seem to mind the armed security guards at the door. We know the security isn’t there because of the customers who can afford shopping there.

A company’s policy change shouldn’t bother anyone who was not responsible for them having to make the policy change.

• texanjana
    9 months ago

My salon charges about the same prices and instituted a similar policy a few years ago. I get it and do not have an issue with it. I also am seeing more and more restaurants requiring a credit card to reserve a table. Again, it’s a business decision and I get it.

The security guards at my local Cartier and Tiffany are in uniform and are very obvious...and are hopefully a deterrent to criminals.

eld6161 thanked texanjana
  • salonva
    9 months ago

I find it off putting. I don't have a regular salon. On the quest to find one, I remembered one had been recommended so I looked at the website, and it explained about having your credit card on file. I do understand if there are no shows, it's costly for the hairdresser /salon, but I don't feel comfortable with them having and storing my info. (especially as I had never even used them).

I decided to call to make an appointment, and they did not ask for my credit card info.

I kept the appointment and while it was all ok, I don't think I'm going to return.

The prices have gotten crazy and the bit of charging additional to blowdry hair after it's been cut is a new angle that I m seeing more and more. I find that obmoxious. Like Bunny said, when you leave the salon one would expect to LOOK like they just came from a salon, not running out from the shower.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

I also have a thing about salons that charge women more than men for a cut. I won't go to them. It's one pink tax I can avoid.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • blubird
    9 months ago

Like @Annie Deighnaugh I just get my haircuts at GreatClips. I live in a high cost of living area and I know people are paying anywhere from $55 to $125 for a haircut. My philosphy is the same as Annie's....I can't imagine paying that much for something that needs to be done every 5-6 weeks.

eld6161 thanked blubird
  • maire_cate
    9 months ago

The first time I read it I was taken aback by the stringent tone of the policy. Then I read the price list and realized this is a high end salon and they've probably had significant problems with late cancellations and no-shows. And unfortunately most of these clients are probably in the luxury category. It might have been slightly more palatable if the policy stipulated that these charges would apply the second time the client was a no-show or a last minute cancellation. A few of the salons I've visited have a similar policy but my colorist opened her own salon and she doesn't have this policy.

They do state that it is your responsibility to keep track of your appointments and that the reminder is merely a courtesy. I don't have a problem with that and at least they only charge 25% for a late cancellation.

Many luxury retailers not only have uniformed guards but also plain clothes security roaming the store and cameras. Sometimes it makes me feel a little uncomfortable but I understand why they need to do it

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

Then I read the price list and realized this is a high end salon and they've probably had significant problems with late cancellations and no-shows.

Why would a high end salon have this problem in particular?

As far as guards at jewelry stores, I will have to look more closely. I am thinking of Cartier near my office, and i have to say I always thought of them as doormen! If they are packing heat I never noticed. Now you have me curious. But they would never ask you for a receipt upon departure like Costco does; my point is high end retailers are projecting a certain image and they need to be careful not to undermine it by insulting you by presupposing bad behavior.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 months ago

I agree with nini. Most salons now have automated reminders, so it shouldn’t be hard to send out text reminders at least 48 hours in advance of an appointment. I get them from my hair salon (phone), Pilates studio, nail salon and massage therapist (texts).

I feel fortunate mine have not instituted penalties for cancellations like this, or strict deposit or credit card policies. My hair salon did recently stop allowing tips to be added to credit card payments though. I don’t know why, except perhaps it has something to do with how tips are estimated or calculated now by the IRS. I can certainly understand though that there is an element of the population that doesn’t seem to value time-keeping and scheduling or anyone else’s time.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • lucillle
    9 months ago

I'm not sure of what sort of consequence is appropriate for someone who misses a hair salon appointment without giving notice. It can unfairly impact the income of the stylist, who may depend on a certain level of income to put bread on the family table but doesn't impact the client who decides to skip without notice in any meaningful way if no formal consequences are set up. For the prices quoted by the OP, one would think that those who had such appointments would be acquainted with noblesse oblige, recognizing the needs of those workers, but apparently that is not always the case.

Missing appointments with a doctor, if one is ill, or the IRS, or a court date is different, each might have its own consequence for those who don't show and don't notify.

eld6161 thanked lucillle
  • maire_cate
    9 months ago

If a salon feels compelled to implement policies regarding no-shows or late cancellations then it seems reasonable that they've done so because it has become a problem. I don't think it's an action that was taken lightly because of the complaints they are likely to receive - its just another business decision. Upscale salons are less apt to overbook a stylist in order to give the client a more 'personal' experience - all part of the luxury treatment. No-shows or late cancellations could have a significant impact on the stylist's pay and tip.

I've never noticed an armed guard inside an upscale jewelry store. Although the last time I went to the King of Prussia Mall which has a number of high end retailers had them on patrol.

eld6161 thanked maire_cate
  • salonva
    9 months ago

I do believe that in super high end retail stores, there is security that might not present itself as such., probably looking like a salesperson or customer.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

The cash tips probably has to do with not needing to report them to the IRS, and the fee the credit card charges isn't taken out of the tip either. Not sure if there is a time delay with a cc transaction too. Cash in hand is spendable right away.

I remember talking to a gal at Great Clips and she said she used to work in a high end salon, but found that, even with the higher prices and tips, the clients were fewer and farther between so she actually does better here with the steady flow of customers.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I never liked the feeling of having my card on file when I used Frederic Fekkai. Especially after I changed to a closer salon that had parking issues.

I also wasn’t happy enough with the cut and color.

My current salon has only five people working, one of which handles reception.

Yes, the prices are ridiculous, but I have very hard to cut hair. My style looks so simple yet trust me not every stylist can do it!

• palimpsest
    9 months ago

There is a rationale for not presupposing bad behavior or even for indulging bad behavior in the luxury sector and that involves money, or income. Anyone is capable of bad behavior, of course, and even in the places I work where services are provided for free, some of the people are very demanding and treat even the doctors as their functionaries. However, it's a little easier to get rid of client who is paying nothing, or twelve dollars for a haircut than someone who is spending a thousand.

I have a friend in luxury retail in Manhattan who makes much more than his physician spouse. He has clients who will spend $100K on leather goods like purses and belts in a year. His regulars are often quite nice and generous, but really some of them Think they are being nicer than they really are. And I have been in the store when several clients are each obviously getting personal service from a sales person and someone will walk in and if they haven't been approached by a salesperson immediately have said "Hellooo does anybody actually F ***** work in here? I want to look at some handbags!!"

This happens at Ross for Less of course. But they aren't getting commission on a potential $20k sales if they ignore a person like that.

I am not dropping the F bomb randomly here. In my experience it's people at the top and at the bottom who curse copiously and not so much in the middle.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

I never liked the feeling of having my card on file

I don't know, but this never concerns me. First of all, the vast majority of people are honest. . Second of all, a business needs to be very careful about this and they know that. Third of all, I am not liable for fraudulent charges.

The biggest PITA is having to get a new card but Amex is very good about that as well as keeping recurring charges going (too good about that). It has only happened to me once or twice, and it is anyone's guess as to why/how.

• palimpsest
    9 months ago

There are computer programs that generate credit card numbers and codes on the back and occasionally they will get something that works. My card was used for an entire month without triggering a fraud alert (because I had also made some unusual charges that month) and it finally triggered when someone tried to buy a custom suit in Australia at the same instant I was using it for one of my customary purchases.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

Credit card companies were among the leaders in developing neural network technology to detect fraud and manage cardholder credit lines. It is actually kind of fascinating.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

Re the $12 haircut, they don't take appointments so people missing appointments is not a problem. Like the old fashioned barber shops, first come first serve. The only difference is you can hold a place in line through their app so you don't have to wait so long once you get there. And while, unless I make the effort, I won't get the same hairdresser, they do keep records on me and put in notes about my last haircut and such so they aren't going in blind.

• runninginplace
    9 months ago

First, was part of the initial screen shot deleted? There's no price list but I keep seeing folks refer to it...can that be shared again?

As far as the credit card on file/charge for no shows my hairdresser started doing it last year. She explained it as others have mentioned--it is actually mostly intended for non-regulars who make appointments then don't show up. When I hurt my foot recently I had to cancel with less than the required notice (24 hours) and she didn't charge me.

I think this is yet another example of post-COVID life. Maybe it's our generational trauma but I have heard so many service providers in so many different types of business say the same thing: people much more rude, impatient, thoughtless and demanding than pre-C days.

• maire_cate
    9 months ago

Running - eld put the price list in a second comment so you have to click on the

green More Comments to see it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

First, was part of the initial screen shot deleted? There's no price list but I keep seeing folks refer to it...can that be shared again?

Scroll to the top of the thread and select "see more comments."

• Tina Marie
    9 months ago

I am not a "luxury" type person although I don't mind treating myself. I live in a small town although there are prestigious salons in the big cities near me. I'm not willing to drive the distance I guess. My husband and I were lucky to find a small shop near us and a gal who was not long out of beauty school when we started using her. We've gone to her for many years and all I really care about is the cut. I prefer to style my hair myself. Sometimes I let my gal dry and style to appease her LOL but many times I leave with my hair wet. I'm actually pretty low maintenance since I no longer color my hair and I rarely have my nails done, although they do have a nail tech. They do not charge for missed appointments or send reminders nor do they require a cc on file. I think our area is more relaxed with reservations, etc. and of course our prices are lower than the big cities. I'm much more comfortable in our small shop with a great group of gals who work well together. Not much turnover in their shop. Plus we get great cuts! ETA: I'm another with thick, wavy hair and she knows how to handle my head of hair LOL!

We love our hair gal and are generous with tips and a nice gift at Christmas. : )

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • sas95
    9 months ago

I don't think spending a lot of money on your haircut will necessarily get you a great haircut, but it has been my experience that at higher end places it is more likely that one will get a better cut. So much depends on your hair and what you are doing with it. If you have great long and straight hair and you want an inch cut off, most people can do it. If you have hair like mine that is super-wavy/curly and thick and you wear it short, it is much harder to find someone who will give you something fun and stylish, and that's something that I'm willing to pay for.

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

I figured out, when I was getting haircuts, I was paying the same amount in the latter part of the 80s as I was in 2021. Not adjusted for inflation. So I had been progressively getting cheaper haircuts as I got older.

I have gone through periods of not cutting my hair at all for up to two years. (twice, I think) to cutting it every week. Since the mid nineties save for that period a couple years ago where I was getting a haircut, I cut it myself. So I am not making any value judgments on $12 or $400 haircuts.

• Ida Claire
    9 months ago

I guess I can understand why it's done (to an extent), but I'd find that policy very off-putting if I were an established client. I also agree that spending a lot of money on a haircut doesn't necessarily produce a great haircut. I've had my hair cut, colored, permed - the whole gamut - at places with pricing from $ to $$$$ and I've actually come out disappointed more times than not when I paid a lot of money for services. I'm thinking that's because my expectations were higher, but the stylists weren't necessarily right for me. Now that I'm wearing a pixie (and have decided to keep it short, in spite of posting recently that I was thinking of growing it out), I get my very best cuts at a barber shop - $34 plus $8 tip. Easy peasy, cheap and breezy. :-)

eld6161 thanked Ida Claire
  • runninginplace
    9 months ago

Thanks Mtn, completely missed the additional comments.

Yes those are healthy prices, although with hair I don't make choices on a cost saving basis. I'm willing to spend more when I find a stylist who does a great job...it's worthwhile for me to pay a premium when I know I"m getting premium results.

Hair is such a personal service business, not like buying sugar off the grocery store shelf. It's definitely a relationship if you stay with the same stylist or salon for a long time.

I went to the same person for 15+ years in my previous hometown. After a false start with someone I didn't like much, I found the stylist I love down here. She's young and motivated, keeps up with industry trends and I am very happy with both her cuts and color (I do highlights).

eld6161 thanked runninginplace
  • lucillle
    9 months ago

I remember talking to a gal at Great Clips and she said she used to work in a high end salon, but found that, even with the higher prices and tips, the clients were fewer and farther between so she actually does better here with the steady flow of customers.

And perhaps this is part of the reason for the new policies at some upscale salons, so that their staff do not lose out even more because of cancellations without notice that might be difficult to fill and leave their staff with an unpaid gap in their day.

eld6161 thanked lucillle
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Mtn, it’s not so much dishonesty, it’s that no matter what they will take my money. My card is on file for quite a few online stores that I frequent, but I‘m the one pushing the pay now button.

Sas, I agree. For many years I went to walk in places, but I always used the same person.

But, those stylist seem to move on after a while.

Tina, I don’t only choose high end. In my searches, I’ve asked people standing on a line where they go, if I happen to like their cut.

• lascatx
    9 months ago

It does seem that better stylist tend to move around these days -- or set up their own shop. The trend here is for stylists to set up a solo shop or split an office suite with another stylist, then share days, so they are working independently -- all little mini-businesses. The most recent stylist I went to is one of these -- my sister found her and gave me her info. It has been so long since I had someone I really trusted with my hair. I'm cautiously optimistic.

When I went to a large chain (because someone else I knew got a great cut there), I was happy with the cut and prices at first, but the price went up to more than double in a fairly short time and the cuts were inconsistent. I mentioned it and that day was the worst -- $5 more and a bad cut. Then COVID hit. At least I had plenty of time to grow it out. Don't think I would go back even for a different stylist.

eld6161 thanked lascatx
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH