Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

Heat tolerant rhododendron

sara82lee
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

I don't have much experience with rhododendrons, but I planted a small (quart size) Holden in April of this year that was doing fine until the heat came in the past month. We had about a week around 95+ a month ago and it drooped badly. Since then everything from 80s to 100, but it has steadily declined and I'm pretty sure it's dead. It has good draining acidic soil and was regularly watered with a soaker hose, so I'm inclined to believe that it just couldn't take the heat, especially as such a small plant.

I want to give it another shot and get a new one to plant this fall that's more heat tolerant. Hoping a fall planting will give it a better chance also. I've been turned off to the Nova Zembla by all of the negative press I've read here about it. Plus I'd like something on the smaller side. Larger darker green leaves also a positive :)

Choices at my local nursery that fit the size I'm looking for (max 5 or 6 feet width, prefer smaller) are these. Any that you'd suggest that are more heat tolerant? Will be in part shade. I'm in 8a southeast Virginia. Thank you.

Besse Howells
Chinoides
Edith Bosley
Mardi Gras
Minnetonka
Percy Wiseman - this one looks particularly pretty to me
Purple passion
Purpeum elegans
Rimini
Yaku princess

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

The Southgate series, developed by Louisiana breeder Dr. John Thornton, are noted as being extremely heat tolerant. Others that are noted for this attribute are most of the PJM series, Anna Rose Whitney, Roseum, Myrtifolium, Scintillation.

I would not recommend any of the yakushimanum hybrids for heat. They are native to the mountainous regions of Japan where summer temps rarely exceed 20C or about 70F. They want a cool summer.

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks gardengal. I was practically ogling that percy wiseman, but sounds like that's out of the picture!

I ran across the Southgate ones googling, but haven't seen any in the nurseries around here. Wonder why. Maybe that's the best idea and I should order one.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

sara, there is another GW'er from your general area (a zone colder) who has some significant firsthand experience and strong opinions about what rhodies do best in the hot and humid summers of VA. I will try to reach out to him to ask for his comments on this topic. I live in rhododendron heaven - any rhody will grow well here - so his regionally based comments will be much more meaningful.

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Really appreciate that, thank you

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

Thanks, david, for chiming in!! 👍

sara82lee thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • sara82lee
    Original Author
    8 months ago

David, thank you soooo much for all this information! I took a few days to respond, to go through it all and also to search out a southgate rhododendron locally. So far I havent been able to find one (nor charles loomis/opal thorton), so may have to wait for spring planting when they are back in stock again. But you are so right - I see lots of rhodies for sale in the spring, but I think I only remember seeing one in someone's garden. Just one! Why this did not occur to me before I can't say.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 months ago

Not sure about southeast VA, but I am in northeast VA and have planted five Rhododendron maximum that are native here, but not in your area. I wish we were cooler, so I could have rhodies like those we had in Pennsylvania! I agree with David, look around your area and see what is thriving. I would always lean toward native plants wherever I lived. Also you can check the Digital Atlas of Virginia Flora. Digital Atlas . Also check out the Virginia Native Plant Society VNPS . You can get ideas there and then check the atlas through their search feature to be sure any specific plant is native to your particular area.

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Southgate Grace! Ordered from... Walmart of all places. Good sized 2 gallon plant and cost me all of 30 dollars, shipped to my door. I'm pleased, and excited to see how she does in the spring. I see lots of buds on her now.

Want to say thanks for the great advice I got here!

• jimgershey
    last month

I planted a Southgate 'Radiance' here in Baton Rouge in 2016 and it's currently blooming. I was a bit surprised that it made it through the scorching summer we had in 2023 (32 days of 100 degrees F or above!!). I planted a Southgate 'Breezy' at the same time, but it lasted only two or three years.

sara82lee thanked jimgershey
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hey it's great to know that at least *some* of them are living up to their promise.

Quite honestly, a lot of commercial/'industrial' plant breeders these days, in my opinion, are breeding for the opposite of tough. They DON'T want their plants to last, so you have to keep buying new ones. 🤣

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting