Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Is it time to talk about new fall clothes?

Sueb20
8 months ago

I spent some time ogling sweaters on the Garnet Hill site yesterday, but have not ordered any. Yet. But I did get this ”shacket” from Anthro that I like a lot. Seems like a good weight for fall, and bonus for me, comes in Petite. I got this color…yes, this is me wearing it. I like the curved hem, which you can’t see here. I would like to find a somewhat flowery scarf to wear with it, if anyone has suggestions. The color is a dark purple. Anthro calls it Lavender…um, no.

I am going to be in Asheville in late Oct. — wonder if this will work or will it be too warm?

Comments (230)

• Kswl
    7 months ago

Pretty jewelry, Funky and Sue! Sue, do you send websites to your DH with suggestions or does he find things on his own? I don’t even want to tell you the lengths DD and I go to to keeo DH from going off piste when buying jewelry.

Since my big Talbot’s spree earlier this month they’ve sent me some awards certificates, which is nice. They are also having a sale (code FALL) which gives a 40% discount on your most expensive item whether or not it’s on sale. I bought both of these pants (navy and camel)

And these gray wool, lined slacks that I’ve been looking for

The first two were on sale for 25% off. The second pair, regularly $189, were $113 with the discount. Yay!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I am usually quite specific with my wish lists, LOL, but sometimes DH branches out on his own. Because I am going on not one, but two solo trips within the next month, I told him not to get me anything. He didn’t listen. I am just glad he randomly happened to choose a jewelry artist that I really like! He had no idea. I have a pair of earrings from the same designer that are probably 10 or 15 years old, when the designer was still doing smaller craft shows.

Last year for my bday I said please just take me to the store and let me pick out something. It was really fun to browse jewelry (in a local artsy store I love) knowing I could get whatever I wanted. And he is happier doing that than trying to guess what I want.

• jsk
    7 months ago

I used to be very snobby about clothing/shoes and would never think to look at Target. I've completely done a 180. They really do have some nice things. Of course, they have some awful things too. Thankfully, their return policy makes it so easy to order and return what I don't like. They're not for special occasion wear but for my work from home life, they have some perfect things.

I recently bought these loafers and was pleasantly surprised at how cute they are.

• Tina Marie
    7 months ago

@jsk those are cute! @Sueb20 your husband sounds like a dear. I'd say he knows you better than you think : ) @Kswl the sailor pants are cute but I would have to change out those gold buttons. Are pleated pants in now? Just curious, I haven't been in any clothing stores recently other than a little area boutique, but have not noticed pleated pants in my online shopping. They aren't the most flattering on me.

• Kswl
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

The gray pants have a single pleat on both sides rather than the double pleat that can cause cause so much fullness. However, if nicely double pleated slacks hang properly and are the right length for your shoes, the pleats will lay flat and the pants will not bunch. (Also, for some reason people tend to buy pants in a smaller size than they should— maybe because they don’t want to have them shortened? When they are snug in the waist and hips the pleats balloon out noticeably.) A good fit is important with pleats!

i really like those brass buttons 😁 Apparently the buttons on the camel colored ones are tortoiseshell now, not brass, which is ok as I have a new tortoise headband waiting in the wings.

Sue, that sounds like a good compromise, to shop together for jewelry. DH likes to surprise me (not my idea!) so now he does it with the help of a good salesperson who has kept track my returns so he knows what I really like.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

On days when I go into the city, I have about a 15 min walk to our offices. I don't want to wear my best shoes, especially if it might rain or snow. But I don't like to wear sneakers or flats because I usually run into colleagues when I enter the building and I think it looks silly to walk in one way and then transform when you arrive.

So I got these shoes for walking. They were showing up on my NYT webpage all.the.time. I like them, they are uber comfy and I don't think they look bad. I got black and tan. They prob wont wear well but for $100 bucks that's not such a big deal. When I get to my office I have dressier shoes and I switch them out. Our team is almost all men so I doubt they notice but its less noticeable than walking in one height and then showing up at a meeting, say 4" taller.

• Kswl
    7 months ago

Those are in my NYT ads too, Mtn. Are they hard to keep on your feet? I have better luck keeping open toed mules on.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

I think that would be more of an issue with a platform mule? The foot is angled downward on a wedge which I think would help. I wore them yesterday with bare feet and had no issues; that might provide more traction than say, hosiery of some sort.

• Tina Marie
    7 months ago

I love mules! I have several pair but none are wedge heels. Unfortunately, I once fell in a pair of wedge heels and rarely wear them. For some reason, I feel like they make me turn my ankle too easily. I have mules that are flats - well a short heel, and some that have a black heel. I love to wear mules until it actually gets cold - in place of sandals LOL. I really do not like my feet all covered up. I have never had trouble keep mules on my feet (that sounds funny).

@KSWL oh I agree about people wearing too small a size and then of course, the pleats pull. Even with the pleat laying as it should, they are not a flattering look on me. I think it is the extra fullness created in the thighs.

• eld6161
    7 months ago

Tina, I get what you are saying, A wedge mule has to fit your foot correctly.

I think pleated pants are harder to pull off if you are short.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

A week or so ago I had forgotten my bathing suit in CT and wanted to use our hot tub in ME. I went to Kohl's and they had a pair of these flowy knit paints in the beachwear section that I bought on a lark (and no suits left). They are not at all flattering on me, but they are sooooo comfy. If I lived alone, I would take them off only to wash them ... and then sit forlornly by the dryer waiting for the cycle to finish.

I would choose them over sweats or yoga pants for lounging. I don't see them online but many co.s make a version.

• eld6161
    7 months ago

Fun for around the pool!

• Kswl
    7 months ago

I’ve never seen anything like those pants, very different!

• nicole___
    7 months ago

mtn...NICE!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Mtn, these are my version of those pants. They make me look like I gained 10 lbs instantly, but they are so comfy. I have maybe worn them in public 2x, like to run out for milk. Even at home, once DS said (around 3 pm), ”got your pj’s on already, mom?” From Sundance.

I am in Denmark now, and soo many women here wear loose cotton dresses with leggings. They look so comfy. I might move here.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

These threads always trigger me to go to NM and see how weird things get. I didn't find anything quite like the balloon shoes, but I did find several Wha???

Pinstriped business like belted skirt, attached to a halter with a train?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

The back on this one is literally just strings. Always wanted denim printed like fur to look like a fox biting its tail with nothing underneath...definitely a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

And who needs a t-shirt bra to add modesty to the bustline when you can have this? I can't help but imagine it on an older, well endowed woman whose girls end up lower than the embellishment. You just know that would happen. Might as well wear a t that says "Wishful Thinking"

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

Then there's this plunging neckline train-back shirt. Is this something from Star Trek or Star Wars? Hooker/nun mashup?

And then their suggestion how to style it? Of course with a bright orange voluminous skirt!

• Kswl
    7 months ago

Hooker / nun mashup! Best phrase Ihave heard since the word ”mashup” was coined!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

I received my Kswl-copycat pink sweater today .. i absolutely love it. The size fits well -- loose but not too loose (which is a win because I feared it would be too small). I will consider other Ann Taylor purchases!

What doesn't work as well for me is the length -- but no surprises there. The description included the length (20" i believe???) and it was clear from the photos (not so much the one below). I will try it on with my high-waisted jeans and see what I think. It's not looking great with my mid rise shorts lol. I may also try it open -- I think the length may not bother me if it is open (like a hybrid shrug/cardigan kind of?).

It is lovely soft and does NOT look like nasty acrylic! AND it is on sale right now.

• Kswl
    7 months ago

I like the pink cardigan open and buttoned, Funky. When it’s buttoned up I may wear a scarf (knotted in the front with the ends tucked under the sweater). I have a few nice ones with pink and I can wear black, camel and gray slacks with it. I think the color is Sooo pretty!

• HU-163897337
    7 months ago

I love that pale pink!! i would much prefer the cardigan unbuttoned.

• Bunny
    7 months ago

The pale pink cardigan looks great on the model with her coloring. It's the last color I could ever wear.

• eld6161
    7 months ago

Love that pink. Where is the cardigan from?

Bunny, with your gray hair, I would think pink would look nice on you.

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

I don't normally wear cardigans buttoned up -- esp crew neck cardigans. For some reason. I really like the look with this cardigan. It looks so sweet... *I* look so sweet lol (and I am not!)

The color is perfect. Perfect "Funky Pink". I have decided I am going to make it work-- I am pretty sure it is going to work open and with high-waisted jeans .. and it will definitely work with pj bottoms for video calls (lol!)

I am annoyed that the price went down $30 before it even arrived on my doorstep -- but eh, not going to stress it. I may get one at the reduced price for a gift though.

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Ann Taylor .. and i think it is even prettier in person.

Ribbed Crew Neck Cardigan (anntaylor.com)

• njmomma
    7 months ago

Have them adjust the price! Just make a phone call. I do it all the time.

Love the pink sweater!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Sure, I'll give that a try. Thank you.

In other news -- i realized the pink AT sweater exactly matches one of my pairs of computer glasses LOL. The combo is a little too 60s housewife for me-- but it is a look lol!

I confirmed the sweater really is too short for my long torso. It hits right at the waist of my high rise jeans -- above my belly button. It works better worn open but it isn't great. It is *perfect* for a Teams/Video! Not sure I can justify that -- but it could be argued that wfh video attire replaces office attire. I have video calls daily and executive calls a few times a month. I really like it for the executive calls. Suits don't work well on video plus no one wears them anymore. I don't like to wear button up blouses. Can you tell I am rationalizing? LOL I just think the color and shape look great on a bust and above view.

• Kswl
    7 months ago

No need to justify, just think of how much $ you’re saving by not needing to buy office slacks 😎 Also, if the sweater fits your shoulders and bust it will still fit there even as you continue to drop. A sweater is one of the few garments you can wear at different sizes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

video attire replaces office attire.

I think it is totally legit to buy something that works for Zoom calls. It is entirely true that what works in person does not always look good on screen. See: stripes and plain white. Do you have a ring light? If I were on Zoom all the time I'd do that. It's funny, the culture of our firm is that no one opts to have their camera on when we do Zoom; it's only for people who are in person in the conference room. Fine by me!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Agreed, Kswl.. it perfectly fits my shoulders and bust. It is comfortably loose throughout but not sloppy. I think it will work fine as I lose --- its not like my shoulders and rib cage are going to shrink. The length may work better then too. It will still be short on my torso but if my waist is smaller and my stomach is flat, it may be a cute look! Either way, I am ok with it.

I am going to keep it! It makes me happy!😎

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Yes-- I absolutely use a ring light! Anything to make me look better! And yes-- not everything works on camera. Even my makeup changes for the camera.

The culture here changes based on the project -- we didn't use cameras on my last two projects. My current one does-- we use them for daily standups (which is annoying because they are short meetings first thing in the am. I have to get dressed and primped for 15 stupid minutes!). It is my call whether we go camera or not but two of my key team members requested it because our team is spread across the country and none have met in person. They want to see everyone's faces at least once a day. I don't like it but i get it.

I have a couple of executive meetings a month. The audience isnt on camera-- but the presenters are. THAT is the worst! Sometimes I am the only presenter so that is unnerving. I just don't look at myself lol.

ETA OH-- and 2 people who call me regularly are on video just for straight calls. Sometimes I will pop on too but more often than not, I pass. No one needs to see my face on the big monitor!

• salonva
    7 months ago

Oh I am really enjoying reading all this about zoom work. I retired in 2018 and it was a whole different world. It's fascinating to me, to think about having clothing that "zooms" well and from the waist up. It's a whole new world. :)

• jsk
    7 months ago

I always find it interesting how different people feel so differently about cameras on/off.

I am a camera off person. I see no need to look presentable every day when I work from home. I get if for certain meetings but not the every day. There's just no way I'm turning my camera on for stand up every day. Nope, not happening!

I was a full time remote employee long before covid. When covid happened and the whole company went remote, our CEO (who I liked a lot) told us we should get dressed every morning just like if we were going to the office. He said to not wear our PJs to work. My team would joke about it on our own calls because everyone knew I was wearing my PJs!

• Kswl
    7 months ago

This is doubly interesting for me, as I have a class that meets via zoom (cameras on and thank heavens everybody is dressed) 😎 and I Zoom with a nutrition and fitness coach every Friday, also cameras on because sometimes she wants to see me do certain exercises to make sure I’m doing them correctly.

I retired in 2018 and I get up and dress nicely every day, unless I plan to do gardening. Even if I am painting (art, not walls) I dress to go out of the house and then wear a smock . If I don’t make the effort to dress, wear jewelry, shoes and do something with my hair and face I feel like the day has been wasted because I don’t want to go out looking frumpy. Also, I really never know what’s going to happen and if I’ll be needed somewhere (mom, grandkids, husband) without warning. I try to be prepared for anything.

• Feathers11
    7 months ago

Oh, I think I can top this latest thread twist: I recently entered a long-distance relationship with a man who prefers to video call. I used to wear makeup only 3-4 days a week. Now, it goes on every day. I have to make yet another trip to Ulta this weekend!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Feathers! ❣️❣️❣️

Thankfully my long distance friend doesnt want video any more than I do (most days). Plus we are both always doing things, walking around or in bed with the lights out. It would break the rhythm of conversation and I am sure the camera would end up pointing in odd directions. I have no desire to see his nose hairs!! My nieces are shocked that we don't facetime/video more often.

I think this is a very interesting topic-- worthy of it's own thread. There are so many things that change with working at home and/or having daily video calls or meetings. (Long distance relationships might be worthy of a thread too-- but obviously wayyyyy more personal)

• Kswl
    7 months ago

This video age is new territory, and very exciting for those of us who grew up watching Jane Jetson video calling her friends from behind a perfectly dressed and coiffed plastic mock up of herself with a hole cut out for her face!

• Feathers11
    7 months ago

Interesting, Funky! This is my first of this type of relationship. It's a long story of how we met, but the first time he saw me in person (we had talked/FaceTimed several times by then), he said, "You're much taller than I expected!" I guess I come across short on video. ;-)

Kswl, I remember the Jetsons, and I could definitely use a morning mask!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Oh that's too funny, Feathers! I'd like to think I look taller on video LOL (I am only 5'6")

And I wish you well in this new relationship -- enjoy and have fun!

I also remember the Jetsons -- in fact, I have been singing the song in my head since Kswl mentioned it!

• Kswl
    6 months ago

These pants arrived today

and they will he returned Thursday. The pants legs are so wide they really have to be worn with heels regardless of hem length. Additionally the ponte fabric is very heavy. I haven’t received my gray wool flannel slacks from Talbots yet but I have the feeling this is a store where shopping is best done in person.

• salonva
    6 months ago

Aw oh well Kswl....that's generally how my shopping experiences go, all the more online.

What seems like a perfect find, after reading all the details and deliberating, is usually just "off".

Back to the drawing board I guess. They did have nice promise though :)

• Funkyart
    6 months ago

Bummer, Kswl. I don't like Talbot's ponte fabric either but I do like their wools and linen. Hopefully the flannel slacks work for you.

I bought a pair of EF jersey flannel pants last year (i think?) ... I had to return them due to the fit but I really liked the fabric. It might be worth trying their options? The style I bought was more casual-- the lantern pant and my only issue was that I was between sizes. That said, I dress much more casually than you do so the EF pant styles may not be what you are looking for.

• jsk
    6 months ago

I'm always impressed with those that get ready every day (clothes, hair, makeup) even if they aren't going anywhere. Maybe it's because for decades I commuted to the office and had to do that 4-5 days/week. Every week. For years! And now that I don't have to, I'm thrilled to not. Or maybe it's just because I'm lazy! My favorite days are the ones where I'm not working, I have no plans and I can stay in my PJs (or change to sweats or leggings if feeling motivated) all day.

I remember several years ago, at the beginning of people starting to work from home, there was a woman that wasn't part of our team but would sometimes join our calls. She would get so angry that we didn't have our cameras on. She would actually complain to my boss. He would just laugh. Like that's something he really cares about in the big picture. We all get our work done and then some. He could not care less if we turn our cameras on.

• Kswl
    6 months ago

I have several styles of EF pants, Funky, including slim fit sort of boucle-y texture pull on slacks in every color. I also have the cotton poplin (with some stretch) side zip ankle length slacks in several colors. I’m looking for the side zips in small now on EF Renew because my mediums are too baggy in the you know where. 🙄

• Funkyart
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I loooove the side zip EF also. I like the organic cotton ones that have a touch of stretch-- it's been years since they have been sold. I picked up a smaller size on ebay NWT.

So impressed with your weight loss! Congratulations!

• Kswl
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Thank you Funky! I went from having 20 pandemic pounds following me around like a domestic pet to losing those and some bonus lbs. i did not anticipate losing in such a specific area with the result of having to get all new pants. (Not that I am complaining!)

• bbstx
    6 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that pearls are coming back, not that they ever went out of style for some of us.

Just saw this on the J. Crew website. I had a similar necklace from Talbots in the 90s!

• Kswl
    6 months ago

Very cute! I would probably put the bow in the back 🙂

I never understood why pearls fell out of fashion. They are universally flattering, pretty, and more versatile (and less expensive, and less fraught with social justice concerns) than diamonds.