Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

I looove this coffee table

Sueb20
7 months ago

Do you think it was a desk that was cut down?

The caption just said it was her grandmother’s ”table”.

Comments (13)

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 months ago

I think it is a cut down library table. It fits in well in that room.

Sueb20 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • lascatx
    7 months ago

I like it too. I like table that have added purpose or options. The coffee table in our living room is a glass top with a shelf below. It houses my kaleidoscope collection. At least until there are grandchildren. I also have a console table that butterflies into a square table that we have used pulled up to our sectional for additional seating for games or casual dining. We have an end table that is a chess table as well.

Sueb20 thanked lascatx
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oh, right, a library table. Here’s one.

• LynnNM
    7 months ago

Nice! I love that it’s good looking AND practical!

Sueb20 thanked LynnNM
  • Allison0704
    7 months ago

It does look like a cut down desk.

In the late 90s, we purchased this kitchen table from our favorite antique store. DH cut the legs down, but to keep the pretty feet, we cut out a center section. This photo was two houses ago in the lower level den. Currently using in our living room. Our adult children ask us why we still have and use this table - we love it!

Sueb20 thanked Allison0704
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 months ago

When we were looking for a coffee table for our beach house, I ended up buying a PB Kids ”play table” and had DH cut the legs down. It was a great, solid wood coffee table that we used for many years. It is now being used in DD’s apartment. Still looks great!

I have old school desks used as end tables.

• Tina Marie
    7 months ago

We have an antique library desk in our office. I had it painted black and slightly distressed. On each side there is an opening for books with a "door" that pulls down to access. The doors are glass.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • barncatz
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

We have an oak library desk,prob from a school setting, open ends, in our mudroom. It's the resting spot for mail/packages and right next to the paper shredder. DH and I bought it some 40 years ago. We loved that some kid had carved a small f-word on one of the drawers. (It's not at all obvious, but we know it's there.)

I really like the table sueb posted.

Sueb20 thanked barncatz
  • petalique
    7 months ago

Nice table, Ida.

• Ida Claire
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Yeah, wish I had a place for it! I do work from home some and briefly considered replacing my current desk, but I've grown accustomed to having a keyboard drawer.

• Oakley
    7 months ago

Lucky find! You know how we debate whether to paint or not to paint wood furniture? I'm pro painting except on quarter sawn oak furniture which is all of the above. It's a crime to do so. lol

• Tina Marie
    7 months ago

Oakley, the finish on the desk was not in the best of condition, so we had it painted. I will not paint a quality piece of furniture (especially an antique) in good condition. I do think a painted piece or two looks good in a house, especially with as many antique oak pieces as we have (brown furniture LOL). I do have a bakers cabinet and a side table that are painted, I bought them that way. To go with the black library desk, we bought a black buffet to use as a credenza (I shared the pic earlier), but again, it was already painted. All the wood furniture in our home is antique. I shared my most recent FBMP find not long ago, a secretary. But now, looking at the room, I realize I need a chair with color. I have a small, cane seat wood chair that sits next to the secretary (can be used if one wanted to pull the desk down and actually use it), but I am looking for a chair that could be painted; it will probably be painted green. I have a lady who has a business with painted furniture.