Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_cunningham79

Hard drive removal

tim cunningham
6 months ago

Besides removing the hard drive what else should I remove before giving it to a recycler? Don't want any personal data left on the computer... Thanks for your help...

Comments (5)

• dadoes
    6 months ago

What kind of recycler? There are disposal services that physically destroy/shred hard drives. Destruction is the only effective way to prevent recovery/access to data. You can disassemble it and destroy the platters yourself. Search for "destroy hard drive" and other such terms.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

If you're removing the hard drive, I don't think you need to do anything more.

tim cunningham thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • dadoes
    6 months ago

Correct, there's nothing needs to be done to the computer itself after removing the hard drive(s). My reply above was a mis-reading that the concern is how to dispose of the hard drive (which may be a concern at some point).

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 months ago

There is free software available of a type that I think are generically called "wipe" programs. They perform numerously iterative rewrites of nonsensical data on each segment of the drive so that when done, no info present at the start is there or can be read.

tim cunningham thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • pima74
    5 months ago

Depending on the capacity and age, you might want to consider putting it in an enclosure and use it for backup. It can be disconnected after backups and be safe from malware/ransomware.

tim cunningham thanked pima74