Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midcentura

my new Bosch Benchmark wall oven burns cakes

midcentura
6 months ago

My favorite poundcake recipe doesn’t work in the new oven. The outside of my cakes are burnt to a crisp if the inside of the cake is baked thoroughly. Also, the degrees is always lower than my separate baking thermometer. I hate this oven and prefer my cheap gas oven from the old gas range we had before the kitchen remodel!

Comments (16)

• blfenton
    6 months ago

Sounds like the oven needs to be calibrated. Do you have an oven thermometer? (unless that's what you're calling a baking thermometer.)

• wdccruise
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Did you use Bake mode; place the rack in position #3; use a low-sided, shiny pan; and allow 1” to 1 1/2” around the pan?*

Did you use Convection Bake mode; reduce the temperature 25 degrees from the recipe; place the rack in position #3; use a low-sided, shiny pan; and allow 1” to 1 1/2” around the pan?

Quick Reference Guide for built-in wall ovens

• midcentura
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I used the Bake mode and always test a separate NSF Tru Temp oven gauge to make sure the oven and the separate gauge match. But I’ve been using the same dark color Bundt pan that I used in my previous cheapie gas range oven. I think that is where I went wrong, using the same 350 degree recipe when I should have baked at 325 with this dark Bundt pan.
    I’m thinking of testing the Nordic Ware shiny loaf pan in the new wall oven to see if a shiny pan makes the difference.

Another thought is that I’ve never tested the previous cheapie gas range oven’s temp with the separate oven temp gauge so perhaps that oven never reached 350 when I used the dark Bundt pan. Baking is truly such a science!

• blfenton
    5 months ago

I've always used a shiny silver bundt pan. If I used convection on my old oven it automatically adjusted the temperature. I don't have my new oven yet but I bought the same GE Cafe.

• awm03
    5 months ago

Re automatic temp adjustment for convection baking, my GE Profile oven has that too. It's an option in Settings called Autoconvert, & it drops the temperature 25 F in Convection Bake only. So you enter your regular baking temp, say 350 F, & that's what shows on the display, but the temp is actually 25 F lower.

Maybe a Bosch oven has a similar option in the settings.

• awm03
    5 months ago

Oh, just saw midcentura used regular bake, not convection bake for the burnt pound cakes. Oh well, it's good to know what options are in the oven's settings anyway! Might be an oven calibration option in there. If your baked goods are consistently coming out overdone, then experiment with the oven calibration option. If it's just the pound cake, I wouldn't fiddle with calibration.

• wdccruise
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

@awm03: "Maybe a Bosch oven has a similar option in the settings."

"When using Convection baking modes (including Multi- Rack), set the oven temperature 25° lower than indicated in conventional baking recipes or package directions." -- Quick Reference Guide

• midcentura
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I did calibrate when the oven was installed since it was about 30 degrees lower than the NSF oven temp gauge. Most of the time the oven temp has been matching the separate gauge while I’m baking with that dark Bundt pan, but there are times I am baking meat loaf in a Rachel Ray meatloaf pan and the oven temp lowers about 20 degrees during the whole duration the meat loaf is in the oven. When that happens I don’t change the oven temp but rather just bake the meatloaf an additional 15 minutes.

• midcentura
    Original Author
    last month

It’s been several months of baking in the Bosch Benchmark wall oven and still getting raw centers in the cakes. The tech guy came out this morning and asked me to confection bake at 350 for 45-65 minswith only a single rack in position 2, removing the other racks. I thought to myself wtf about having to remove the other two racks but said I will happily try it if it solves my year of their g our cake after cake. Well, the cake is wet and raw after 65 mins.
    On another note, the timer stops at 1 hour 1 minute when I try to use the timer fur 1 hr 30 mins. He said there was a problem with the timers and he’ll bring a new timer. However, I will be demanding a brand new oven, not a repair. I’ve been to disappointed and wasted so much money ($400O for the oven) and countless cakes and cupcakes thrown in the garbage with wet centers.
    Anyone else with a Bosch 800 Benchmark oven having the same issues?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last month

I have all Bosch appliances in my Kitchen. Except for the dishwasher, they are all garbage. I am on my third Bosch microwave in 5 1/2 years (warranty and extended warranty replacements after the first one.) I am looking forward to replacing the cooktop in the near future with a Wolf cooktop which is on order.

• 3katz4me
    last month

Good to know about this experience as I will have to replace my wall oven at some point and would have considered Bosch. Agree their dishwashers are good and I recently purchased an induction cooktop that's excellent - purchased based on favorable reviews among other reasons.

• Missy Bee
    last month

Buying a separate oven temp gage to hang from your rack is a must! My Bosch speed oven seems inconsistent although I will say it is mostly under set temperature.

• midcentura
    Original Author
    last month

I do use a separate oven temp gauge which the wall oven does match well. I’m not sure what is causing the center of all my cakes to be raw but I will demand a new oven since it is still under warranty. I don’t want a repair since I did not break it. After strictly following the instructions of tech and the user manual I know it’s the oven, not the user, lol.

• Missy Bee
    last month

Midcentura—that is such a mystery!

• wdccruise
    last month

The Bosch Benchmark HBLP451RUC oven has a 2000 watt heating element behind the convection fan; perhaps it blasts the pan with hot air. Perhaps preheating the oven, using a shiny pan, using rack level 2 -- all recommended -- and baking the cake in regular bake mode would yield better results.