Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellie_molwitz55

bathroom makeover

Ellie
4 months ago

Don’t judge, we know it’s awful😂.

Looking to redo my parents guest bathroom (the kids picked the colors).

We’re keeping the structure but looking to repaint or re-stain the cabinets, repaint walls, new mirror & lighting, new shower curtain and mats. Not too classic home reno / all white. Hoping for something with a bit of character.

Comments (11)

• Ellie
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Tile stays too! Not in the budget.

• cat_ky
    4 months ago

I wouldnt change a lot in there. Leave the cabinet and the tile, and paint the walls a much lighter color. New rugs, and new shower curtain, and accessories. Also a new light fixture. Love the mirror. Its big enough, that you can actually use it, rather than the small skimpy ones, I am seeing in some of todays bathrooms. The walls should be a color that goes with the tile and the flooring. Use color for the accessories. Its a nice bathroom, and looks to be in very good condition.

• Ellie
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks! Any suggestions on wall color, mirror and lighting? I’m struggling with what will go with tile. We can also re stain or repaint the cabinets

• kazzh
    4 months ago

Really, it’s the jewel wall color that is making the room struggle. Going with a lighter wall will change everything. The wood cabinet will work so much better. So a few smaller options, a quick paint of the walls - could go in to whites or slightly tinted to be slightly taupe, or linen color - and change the cabinet pulls to chrome design. Then give the existing tile grout on floors a good clean, or refinish to bring them up. A wooden or white soap dispenser or dish. A new shower curtain in crisp white or in a linen color and guess what, you have a new bathroom!

• kazzh
    4 months ago

Whoops, didn’t see the hand basin mixer…. Could change that out to chrome, or just change the cabinet pulls to a simpler design.

If you wanted to go further, you might consider taking the cabinet lighter for a less heavy tone.

• ffpalms
    4 months ago

Here’s a few ideas - minimalist lighting over the mirror, bath mat hung over the tub, light walls (this color is from Benjamin Moore), art over the toilet, plain linen shower curtain.

• ffpalms
    4 months ago

The light fixture is from Wayfair.com

• Cara Fidler
    4 months ago

Because of the fact that the tile in the tub is beige, that limits the choice of colors in the rest of the room. If you are going to paint the walls white, some possibilities for towels and mats are peach or sage green or even black. I would mount a round mirror over the sink. In choosing a shower curtain I would look for one that includes the same shade you choose for your towels and mats.

• Ellie
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks everyone! Love all the suggestions. Neutrals are a great idea. Thoughts on this green vibe? Is it too much green?

• ffpalms
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I think a green vanity and green walls is overload, and the scheme doesn’t seem to work well with the tan shower and floor tiles. I think you could pull these choices together by finding artwork you love that incorporates the tan tones, and pulling a pale color from the art for the walls. You don’t mention budget, but changing the light to sconces will require an electrician. I love the ones you put in the mock-up.

This mock-up shows leaving the vanity as is, since it relates well to the accent tiles in the shower, but getting a dramatic effect from dark walls. You might be able to get away with this if you have enough natural light. In both mock-ups, it’s the art that will make it cohesive.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert