Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Sneaky A*****

eld6161
3 months ago

I have to say I’m not a fan of Amazon. But, more and more I am finding things that are easier/ cheaper and quicker to buy on that site.

This happened twice. The first time I thought it had to do with DH.

When I return anything, to any store, I look at my charge cards to make sure I get the refund. evidentially, Amazon has two ways to be refunded, to your card or to your Amazon account.

The last two times went to my account.

i never chose that option. Yet, they claimed I did.

I’m wondering if there was a default somehow checked off.

I’ll be watching closely next time I order.

Comments (44)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

You have to manually select refund to your credit card. I always take the account option, because it is quicker.

I think you can call customer service and they will put back on your card.

eld6161 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

A is the number two (I had second thoughts. Uber is number one. Won't do business with them in any way, or anyone else that requires my card stay on file. Especially through Google Pay) site where I don't leave my credit card. It's been hacked more than once leaving it on that site, regardless of measures taken. Since it's not there, I can only receive a refund to my account.

I didn't ask for the last refund, but it was nice of them to give. The time before, when the seller fulfilled the item incorrectly, neither them nor A would rectify the problem. Didn't get a refund. We're almost even. I don't shop on A enough to get back the money I am still owed. I took almost all my business elsewhere.

They're lucky if I buy phone cases and flags there. Certainly, nothing above $20. Been burned enough by them. There are more shopping sites than theirs. And at the rate they're going, everyone else is going to far outdo them servicewise.

eld6161 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Eileen
    3 months ago

When you do a return, you do have to select which payment method you prefer for your refund. The second step after you start your return is "How can we make it right?" You check a box for how you want your refund. You can see for yourself by starting a new refund on a different item you've purchased. You can stop there and don't need to follow through with the rest of the return process.

A-zon has been a lifesaver for me since 2020. Their prices are usually competitive, selection is great, and delivery is fast and free. When there's a problem, they take care of it. I ordered canned cat food and one can was dented. They refunded the entire purchase and told me to keep the product. That's the only delivery issue I've had.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • Lola Bojackie
    3 months ago

Why doesn't anyone spell out Amazon?

eld6161 thanked Lola Bojackie
  • Eileen
    3 months ago

It won't post for some of us. I also can't mention anything to do with the pandemic. I can't use the C word or the V word to discuss it. Post shows for me but no one else.

I thought eld was writing a bad word and it surprised me. That's not the eld I know, but new year, maybe new eld. :-D

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

You need to always double check the refun policy. The only scetchy ones I have seen are not really comming from A, but a third party vendor. WM and Target have those also. I willnot order from them.

I have not had a problem with any A return.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

When there's a problem, they take care of it. I ordered canned cat food and one can was dented. They refunded the entire purchase and told me to keep the product. That's the only delivery issue I've had.

Well, the one time it soured me, they sure as heck wouldn't refund or replace the belt without me paying something to return it, or without me making an effort to get it someplace (I had to drive it to UPS) at a time when my car was in the shop (was I supposed to Uber over for that?). I don't know why they couldn't pick it up. Refused to do it. Just wait, it's coming for you. They're soon to stop telling people to keep the product, and replacing it. I won't say I told you so ;)

P.S. And this was Amazon

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

Sorry about your car, but I ALWAYS take mine to where they say. I get to pick. It has been Staples, Ups, Post office, Khol's, And the last time Whole foods. I don't return much, but there are a few. Of course, like I said, I am careful to only order stuff in the warehouse. Sometimes it is Amazon and sometimes it is fufilled by Amazon.

We did order a handle for my husband's truck that came directly from the company.

'ETA: The only company I have to pay to return is Land's End. I do like their clothes, but if it does not fit, I have to pay usually to ship back. Also, their free shipping requires you to buy way too much.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 months ago

I find A absolutely the best to deal with for any irregular matter. Customer satisfaction seems a consistent priority. Problems however few are resolved to my satisfaction. Same with Whole Foods.

eld6161 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

What are you saying Sherry? I can't drive if I don't have a car. I don't return much either. Why not have the truck Amazon owns (or even the UPS truck) that drives up/down my street multiple times a day, stop and pick it up? Multiple times a day.

If they can't stand behind their merchandise, I can go elsewhere. They expected ME to make it right. I didn't order it incorrectly. Ordered the same thing off Walmart, and they managed to get me the right thing.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

Rob, you said your car was in the shop. Not that you didn't drive at all or that you did not have a car at all. You have 30 days to return. If I had been your neighbor, I would of dropped off for you.

You take to the place to keep the costs down. They put everything going to the return center in one big box.

My only problem returning, was at Walmart with an item from one of their "Partners". I had checked Walmart only for company and it still pulled up something else and I did not catch it. It was a piece of furniture and I had to make three trips to Walmat to return. They did not pick up at my house, I had to take it in. It was their fault too. The pieces were broke and had been returned at least once before.

If as you say, you don't like Amazon, fine. I do. I would rather buy local in a store, but no one carries anything anymore.

• Suzieque
    3 months ago

"they sure as heck wouldn't refund or replace the belt without me paying something to return it, or without me making an effort to get it someplace (I had to drive it to UPS) "

I don't get it, rob. How is that different from any other place? Some things on Amazon are "free returns", but not everything, so of course you would have to pay for shipping. And if you buy something in a store and want to return it, don't you have to drive to that store?

Your expectations don't make sense to me.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

My beef was that all previous orders went back to my card. Then, it changed. And, I don’t remember doing anything dufferent.

I do like that I can return at Whole Foods to save on shipping.

Sherry, Kohls sells Lands End. You can opt to get it sent to the store. Returns are easy at Kohls.

Lands End used to be $50 for free shipping.

Most stores I order from are over $100 minimum. I try to then return at the store to save on shipping.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

My expectation was that they either refund the price, or preferably, send the CORRECT item. The one I ordered. So when you order blue shoes and you get red ones, do you just suck it up? You pay for a steak and get a burger?

How I am in the wrong here? For me, I couldn't even do that. It was a replacement part, specific to that electronic.

I had no car to take it to UPS. Other places have had me print out a label and arranged for UPS to pick it up. Why couldn't they do that?

What do people not understand here?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

No one you knew had a car? You did not get your car back before 30 days? How did you get to work or the doctor or the grocery store?

Yes, you are wrong.

ETA: You do not need to order from online at all.

• maddielee
    3 months ago

“I had no car to take it to UPS. Other places have had me print out a label and arranged for UPS to pick it up. Why couldn't they do that?”

Because its not their policy?

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • Suzieque
    3 months ago

You DO get the option to have UPS pic up the item at your home. Of course you have to pay for it. You also have the option of dealing with Amazon customer service, by phone or online. Did you do that? And .... you can certainly dispute the charge with your credit card, since you say the vendor sent the wrong product.

eld6161 thanked Suzieque
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I like the pickled baby corn for the holidays. Not the canned that you use in cooking, but pickled. Years ago, it was at every store. Then I could only find at Kroger's. Then only at Kroger's in their brand. Then they quit. I did without last year.

This year, Amazon had it, but it was outrageous in price, since it wasn't A. Walmart the same, since it wasn't WM, but another vendor. I found it at Target. To order, they didn't carry in the store. I had to buy a case of it. (Course I worked my way through three jars the first week. At least they are small jars, lol.)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I prefer to walk into whatever store and touch what I want to buy. I want to try on the clothes. I want to feel the sheets and towels. I want to see the colors of the drapes. I want to order from the Sears and JC Penney catalogues, pick up the store and return to the store if I do not like.

I want to go to a furniture store, sit on the furniture, and have them deliver it the next day.

Guess what! That is not ever happening again.

• Eileen
    3 months ago

My beef was that all previous orders went back to my card. Then, it changed. And, I don’t remember doing anything different.

Call customer service and ask them why it didn't go to your credit card.

I will say it was very hard for me to find a phone number when I had a Subscribe and Save issue that wasn't addressed in their Help section. I wrote down their number. It's 1-888-280-4331.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

Refunds

When you return an item, your refund amount and refund method may vary. Check the payment method refunded and the status of your refund in Your Orders.

Note: All information on this page only relates to items bought from or Fulfilled by Amazon. Don't return items to Amazon that were bought on Amazon Marketplace and shipped to you by the seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKQNFKFK5CF3C54B

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 months ago

When I shop Amazon (and living in a small community its often easiest) I try to purchase things both supplied and shipped from Amazon, not shipped from a third party seller when I can avoid it. Very few if any mistakes take place, and it's rare that I return anything. But then I'm not looking for new experiences there, I'm buying the things we use and keep on hand weekly anyway.

I did get a spice shelf organizer a few months ago that wouldn't fit into my upper cabinet with the way the door hinges are placed in the cabinet. The organizer was also in about 97 pieces that had to be assembled. It wasn't a lot of money, and I didn't return it but sent it with an armload of things DH was taking to Goodwill. My ordering error, my loss. Happens infrequently.

They do have a credit card on file, I have one I keep on my desk that is used only for online ordering - neither one of us ever carry it. Its a vintage AT&T Universal card with no annual fee.

It's been hacked once in lots of years. Coincidental maybe but it was the one and only time I used it to order something from Kohls for DH - we don't typically shop Kohls with none anywhere near us.

• lucillle
    3 months ago

Other places have had me print out a label and arranged for UPS to pick it up. Why couldn't they do that?

I no longer drive and can't get to a UPS store. If I want to return something because I didn't like it, I wait for my son to visit and he drops it off for me. If the item was broken or defective, and I talk to Amazon customer service, they arrange for a no cost UPS pickup.

The only time they have charged for a pickup recently is when they allowed me to return an item outside the return window, so I didn't beef about that.

eld6161 thanked lucillle
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

Excuse me, but everyone is acting like their policy is, refunded, or keep the item and you get a new one. Right? So all I wanted was for them to refund it. Or send me a correct one. Do any of you have to drive it to UPS to get that refund? Why should I? Their policy seems pretty clear to others. Didn't happen this time. I offered suggestions that might have met them in the middle, since they weren't living by the standard so many on this thread have come to expect.

SMH at how much people would comment so differently if it happened to them!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I always drive to UPS or wherever they want me to go. It does not matter if it is my mistake or theirs.

Yes, I have to take the item there to get a refund no matter if it isTarget, Walmart. or Amazon.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

" SMH at how much people would comment so differently if it happened to them! "

Rob, It did happen to me, Scroll way up

My only problem returning, was at Walmart with an item from one of their "Partners". I had checked Walmart only for company and it still pulled up something else and I did not catch it. It was a piece of furniture and I had to make three trips to Walmat to return. They did not pick up at my house, I had to take it in. It was their fault too. The pieces were broke and had been returned at least once before.

• maddielee
    3 months ago

“SMH at how much people would comment so differently if it happened to them!”

Rob, you write like you think AZ is picking on you.

I’ve had returns to AZ, so it has happened to me too. Before I order, I know what the return policy is.

It would not be AZ‘s problem if I didn’t have transportation to go to one of the numerous drop off places. That would be my problem, not AZ.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 months ago

With no transportation there's no going to a store. With online buying, the ikelihood is to get something the lack of a car prevents buying. I see an unrealistic attitude as part of the issue.

• Eileen
    3 months ago

The time before, when the seller fulfilled the item incorrectly, neither them nor A would rectify the problem. Didn't get a refund. We're almost even.

Rob, they did try to rectify the problem. You could return it for a refund to numerous places but you didn't feel you should have to. It sounds like A-zon wasn't the seller so maybe they aren't the ones who decide if you can keep it. The seller probably wanted the belt back to resell it.

Now you know that A-zon doesn't do free UPS pick-ups. It seems a minor reason to never shop there again.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I have shopped at Amazon since the only thing they sold were books. Books that I could not find in the bookstores, either new or used. The internet was a baby and I had a dial-up AOL. There was no Prime or free shipping or free returns.

• woodrose
    3 months ago

Rob, I think the problem is that you're taking it personally, as if Amazon is doing this to you and no one else. Yes, I've had to return items via UPS and and I think it's a great convenience - no repacking the item, printing a return label, taking it to the post office, and paying postage. I've bought a lot of stuff from Amazon and never had them tell me to keep anything, and neither has anyone else in my family, that I know of, but that may be because we usually get what we ordered. How was Amazon supposed to know your car was in the shop? How did they treat you differently than anyone else? I think only one person said they were told to keep an item and given a refund. The rest of us all said we had to return an item to get a refund, and yes, we've taken items to UPS to return them. Why do you think that you shouldn't have to go to any trouble like we did?

Eld, I'm sorry your thread got hijacked, and I'm sorry about the refund problem. All I can say is next time be very careful and make sure to check the right boxes. Take your time and read everything. Sometimes I get in a hurry skip over things I'm supposed to check and that always causes problems..

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

Eld, you still might can get them to change. Call the number and get a real live person M-F.

I usually use the balance up so quick, it does not matter.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 months ago

Caveat emptor is the rule we all need to remember, I think.

But it's not like companies make it easy - and how surprising is that? Returns are a headache for retailers too. I understand that companies are tightening up their return policies to minimize lo$$.

I try my best to scrutinize webpages when shopping online, checking return policies, shipping costs, and especially whether I'm buying from the retailer or a 'marketplace' vendor. Nobody's perfect tho, everybody makes mistakes.

I also select the 'sold & shipped by' option, but those teeny tiny stamps marking an item as a paid ad are insidious, IMO. Search results on Amazon, et al. have become so frustrating because of that.

One thing I've learned tho, is that it pays to contact the seller when there's a problem. More often than not, they replaced my defective item and let me keep the original at no charge. I'm always polite and firm. It's not always easy to locate the 'contact us' info either, IMPE.

And some people are in areas close to fulfillment sites & warehouses - I think that might make a difference. Our closest Amazon return UPS store is only a few minutes from my house - not sure about warehouses.

I rarely use Amazon tho - I use eBay and Walmart much more often.

eld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

I think I was confused that they wouldn't help, that's all wood. I mean, look at all the glowing responses here, standing up for them ;) And, I've never had to actually drive any place to return something I ordered online. I slap a label on it, and in the mailbox it goes, or some UPS driver picks it up. It's ok, if they don't want to refund me, that's their choice. As it is my choice to find vendors who fix their mistakes or refund my $$$ to my credit card without a lot of song and dance.

• Feathers11
    3 months ago

Just chiming in quickly:

Eld, you have to purposefully choose to have an A refund back to your card, as noted above. Otherwise, the refund defaults to your A account.

I have had very few issues with A, although I don't do much online shopping. Once, I resolved an issue quite quickly with an online "chat" with a customer service rep.

There are many, many things I do not like or trust about A, but their customer service is beyond measure, imo.

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    3 months ago

It doesn't sound like a horrible thing - they probably just changed their policy and you didn't notice. And that doesn't sound like such a sneaky change, since they're still are refunding your money. And now you know and you can choose differently.

eld6161 thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Eileen
    3 months ago

I think I was confused that they wouldn't help

But they did. You just didn't get the help you wanted--free UPS pick-up. They didn't blow you off, which is how you make it seem.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

So when everyone else comments about their account being refunded directly finds it be standard of practice, but I shouldn't expect the same? Heck, it even seems like a lot of people post that is precisely the reason they work with big ol' A. Ok. Whatever.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 months ago

I've never had any issues returning things to Amazon or getting a refund back on my bank card.

eld6161 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Eileen
    3 months ago

I've twice had them refund me and tell me to keep the product. Besides the cat food with the dented can, I was refunded lotion with an overpowering honeysuckle scent. It was a non-returnable item so I couldn't do a return through the regular process. I contacted customer service and he gave me a refund, no problem, and told me not to return it.

Maybe they give you a different level of customer service if you're a Prime member.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

No. They did the same thing before I started ordering enough for Prime.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I am opting out of this. We have tried.

• maddielee
    3 months ago

“So when everyone else comments about their account being refunded directly finds it be standard of practice, but I shouldn't expect the same? Heck, it even seems like a lot of people post that is precisely the reason they work with big ol' A. Ok. Whatever.”

I’m confused. I thought you didn’t return the item?

A few times I’ve been refunded and told to keep, or donate, my item when the wrong item was sent. AZ’s mistake, not mine.

But the products were also items they couldn’t sell. Original packaging not intact, they have to watch the possibility of tampering. They were also not high dollar purchases, under $50. Make-up and pet food to be exact.