Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_480244315

No curb appeal due to huge garage

HU-480244315
3 months ago

Hello professionals! I am at a loss for how to improve the look of my house. This L-shaped, cedar house is built well, but without regard to how it looks from the outside. As you drive up to it, you are aggressively greeted by this garage. The roofline is an uninteresting 4/12 and the garage opening is a large 10' high. I just had a new, custom door installed, but the tiny swatch I was provided has very little in common with the color that actually arrived. Now it clashes. I'm trying to figure out if I need to change the trim color, add some board and batten or maybe a pergola or any eyebrow roof above the door? How can I make this area look nicer and more welcoming? Any tips are appreciated!

Comments (10)

• Molly D. Zone4B
    3 months ago

Are you able to post a pic of more of the house?

• HU-480244315
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Hi Molly! Yes this is the front door. You can see the man door from the garage on the left hand side. The house is not a looker but the garage sticking out into the driveway like it does is the worst!

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

I do’t think any of the solutions you me tioned really go with the style of the garage. I’d get some nice lights for wither side of the door and in warmer months have a container shrub on the left side to soften the edges a bit.

The garage and front of your house have a bit of a disconnect too. I’d paint the white trim darker so it matches the vibe of the garage.

HU-480244315 thanked Kendrah
  • HU-480244315
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I agree, Kendrah - I think what’s missing is ”a style”. I’ve added a few craftsman features on the inside but an at a loss for the outside

• artemis78
    3 months ago

I don’t like the style of any of the doors with the exterior of the house—replacing all of them with a style that matches (between the three and with the exterior) seems like it could go a long way. Do you have any photos of the house with the garage?

HU-480244315 thanked artemis78
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

It’s functional in that it looks like you don’t have to clear a lot of snow to get out onto the street. My driveway is 80 feet long. I would paint all the doors gray like the rain cachement, including the garage door.

HU-480244315 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

Do you have any pictures without the snow? (UGH...lol...we're expecting our first of the season this weekend). And a fuller picture as millworkman suggests.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 months ago

I don't think it is so bad. It just really looks unfinished. Some nice thick molding with a decorative top pieces and large lights would be great! I also do love a pergola ove a garage door.

Good luck!

HU-480244315 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • HU-480244315
    Original Author
    3 months ago

You guys rock! Yes, the huge amount of snow Anchorage has been getting coupled with the super short days makes getting decent pictures hard. Here are some olderpictures from different angles. Like I said, it’s an odd “L” shape without much style at all. I did add a cool fence and we built a multi tiered deck in the front - which did help that area. No luck with the garage side.