Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlj45231

THOR TRF 3602 Refrigerator - Ventilation Requirements & Service

nlj 45231
3 months ago

Hoping that someone can help with a question about ventilation needs or add any comments on their experience with THOR.

Finally identified the THOR TRF 3602 Refrigerator as the fridge that meets my requirements after hours of looking for a basic fridge/freezer that should be reliable, with decent capacity, no smart features, water dispensing, windows, coffee, etc., etc., and avoiding LG & Samsung due to known issues. (experienced the LG nightmare first hand and WILL NOT use their fridge again until reviews stop indicating a continued issue with the compressor). It has the basic features I want, is visually appealing to me with a coordinating oven and dishwasher at a pricepoint I'm OK with. Downside is that I can't locate a place near me where I can see it in person and I need to contact them about how they manage service in my area as there have been some negative comments on that (however, after dealing with LG and waiting more than a week for a techician and then more than 2 weeks for a repair, is this anything unique?)

Per their manual ( and someone stated confirming this with customer service) THOR requires ~ 4 inch space on sides and back and ~ 12 inches on the top for ventilation and if you don't follow this, it voids the warranty. Interestingly, THOR's kithcen picture does not show this space on their site. This is significantly more that other manufaturers'. My questions: Does this make sense? Any one have experience with THOR Fridge?

https://thorkitchen.com/product/36-inch-professional-french-door-refrigerator-with-freezer-drawers/

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

You follow the installinstructions which I have no idea about . Is seems it needs air all around it so a simple space that allows that in your plan. I would strongly advise you do not go with all matching appliances and IMO there is not DWs better than Bosch I also would never buy an applianc eonline and your first step is call an appliance repair place near you to see if they service this brand . IMO the first step to buying any appliance . I love my Frudgedaire all fridge all freezer with builin kit 16 yrs old not one repair but i would never buy a fridgedair DW . Old plain stainless for a finish allows you to buy appliances for how the function for you.This fridge is made like a commercial fridge not meant for the avergae kitchen where there are cabinets surrounding most fridges so my advice either follow the placement as directed or look for a fridge that in not commercial

nlj 45231 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • HU-16168550092
    3 months ago

OP, I share many of your priorities when it comes to refrigeration, and I don’t particularly need a lot of the extra bells and whistles either. However, before you purchase anything, do note that it has been difficult for you to find anywhere to actually see one of these in person. That “might” be an indicator of just how difficult it will be to get someone to service this appliance and even if you do eventually find a physical store that sells these, most sellers do not service appliances, but will be perfectly willing to sell them to you leaving you with the task of finding someone to repair it when it eventually requires service as most appliances do during their useful lifespan.

Before you spend your money, take the time to call and investigate, several potential appliance repair services in your geographic region to ensure that there will be someone to service it when the eventual time comes that it needs some form of service (major or minor). Calling the manufacturer and asking them for a list of businesses that will service this brand is not sufficient because the service people they list often are not accurate/up-to-date, and businesses change what they service over time, and sometimes go out of business themselves. No matter how much you like the appliance when it is new, your relationship with it will sour if you find yourself in a position where no one is available to service it and/or parts are not available and you are stuck with a very giant, albeit beautiful paperweight. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”

nlj 45231 thanked HU-16168550092
  • kaseki
    3 months ago

Installing outside the instruction limits is like hot-rodding a car -- first one has to understand the engineering decisions that were made for the car's design, and then understand what can be changed without degrading some aspect of performance or reliability beyond what is acceptable to you. Thor seems to be pretty clear about the need for a certain space for adequate cooling. Reducing these can only be tolerated by the device if the heat transfer rates are maintained by some additional aspect, such as a blown cavity moving the air around the device and likely having to replace it with kitchen air. Do you really want to take on such a project to save a few inches. You may not be able to shrink the side gaps to zero unless if is certain that the unit is not using the skins to dissipate compressed refrigerant heat.

Pat's comment incorporated by reference.

nlj 45231 thanked kaseki
  • latifolia
    3 months ago

Look at Liebherr. We have had three of their fridges at different properties and have been very happy. Also look at Haier, the Chinese parent company of GE. We have two of those at different properties. None of these have plumbed ice makers, windows, or water dispensers.

• PRO
    HU-0228123141598721
    3 months ago

Sounds like you want a cheap apartment grade refrigerator. Not a cheap apartment grade one being sold as a high end one. Basic non fancy fridges still exist. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-16-6-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-white/6361278.p?skuId=6361278

• nlj 45231
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Patricia, HU, latifolia, and kaseki - Thank you for your comments. I've located a dealer near me which has the THOR appliances on display so I will be able to see them in person and point taken regarding buying appliances that are better, not staying within the same brand, especially when buying ss. I was able to locate service in my new home's area; however, I plan to investigate more. I spoke to two people at THOR, the more experienced person indicated that they follow the same ventilation recommendation of other makers and they weren't sure why the maker notes that requirement. A bit sketchy for sure, but if I like what I see in the store; I'll probably try them. The Liebherr 36" are above what I want to spend. I have Haier for my second fridge; I like it alot, but they don't make a model big enough for my main fridge.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    3 months ago

You really should reconsider Thor. It's poorly made, and has lots of issues.

• clinresga
    3 months ago

From a review on BestBuy.com:

" Beware Photographs of Installation

Would Not Recommend

As I just confirmed with a phone call to Thor, after waiting on hold for 90 minutes, the warranty for this refrigerator, as stated on page 6 ("Placement") of the manual, requires for ventilation 10 cm (3.9") clearance on sides and back and 30 cm (+/- 12") clearance above. When I pointed out that this photograph [on the BB website, which is also found on the Thor website] could lead people to buy the refrigerator intending to install it as illustrated, which would void the warranty, I was told, "It is just a photograph.""

Does not inspire confidence!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 months ago

This ^^

I wouldn't order from a company who is showing the product installed in a way that they are admitting would void the warranty .

• kaseki
    3 months ago

A useful rule, Debbi, but it may exclude all the pro range manufacturers that show island trim ranges against walls that likely aren't non-combustible all the way through.

• latifolia
    3 months ago

@clinresga

The new year seems to have inspired posters looking for affirmation of truly unsuitable ideas. Often someone who ignores twenty responses, with reasons, of why it's a bad idea, latching on to one who says how great it sounds.

• M Miller
    3 months ago

@latifolia Yes! I keep seeing posts on this Houzz page where commenters all give advice along a similar vein, and the OP literally ignores them, does not respond. Then the one wackadoo commenter - THAT is the one the OP thanks effusively and latches onto.

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

"Per their manual (and someone stated confirming this with customer service) THOR requires ~ 4 inch space on sides and back and ~ 12 inches on the top for ventilation..."

This is incorrect, there is no requirement for 4" spaces on the sides. Spaces are only required at the top and rear:

"The top space of the refrigerator shall be greater than 30cm, and the refrigerator should be placed against a wall with a free distance more than 10cm to facilitate heat dissipation." -- Manual page 6

This refrigerator did not perform particularly well in CR's tests but those who purchased it from Home Depot like it. I don't know how commenters above "know" that this refrigerator is "poorly made, and has lots of issues" or that it is a "cheap apartment grade refrigerator" or anything else for that matter.

• clinresga
    3 months ago

Initially I thought the same thing, but if you look at the incredibly wonky picture in the Thor manual, it shows not one, but two orthogonal guidelines showing required clearance of 10 cm. This indicates that there needs to be 10 cm behind the fridge, but the second orthogonal guideline must reference a need to also have clearance from side walls of 10 cm.

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

@clinresga: "This indicates that there needs to be 10 cm behind the fridge, but the second orthogonal guideline must reference a need to also have clearance from side walls of 10 cm."

No, the left-hand "10 cm" to refer to the case where the refrigerator is placed adjacent to a wall -- shown on the left side of the diagram -- in which case 10 cm is required for the door to open 90 degrees. The refrigerator cabinet does not require 10 cm on either side; if the refrigerator is not placed adjacent to a wall and the doors can swing open freely, no side-gaps are required.

• clinresga
    3 months ago

Matter of interpretation, I read this differently. But fortunately I won't have to worry about it as I won't be purchasing a Thor in the foreseeable future!

And to emphatically beat the dead horse, there is a separate diagram showing clearances need for door opening. If you do the calculations, it actually requires 34.5 cm of left/right clearance for door opening, not 10 cm:

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

@clinresga: "And to emphatically beat the dead horse..."

The diagram above is for opening the doors 135 degrees (i.e., fully). The 10 cm requirement is to open the doors 90 degrees.

The GE GYE22GEN refrigerator specs (for example) contain a diagram that shows the width of the refrigerator (35-3/4"), with its doors open 90 degrees (44-5/8"), and fully (68").