Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_zugovic

load bearing wall advice.

M Zug
3 months ago

Hi,
Taking down a wall between kitchen and living room. Joists run parallel to wall- but this beam above doorway is concerning. Any thoughts? Is it load bearing? We went in the attic. All joists run parallel. One of the photos I circled the walls with red are load bearing. A powder room is behind that closet that enters in between kitchen and dining room. Wanted to see what I should be concerned with before cutting that piece out. Or is that beam load bearing?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

Mary-it’s impossible for us to determine “load bearing” status from here. You need a structural independence engineer to come in, go into attic and basement if you have basement or crawl space and inspect and determine status of walls. The load bearing walls support your roof and structure so nothing to guess about. Good luck.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 months ago

All joists run parallel to what please?

Any competent framer can tell you if your framing is load beaing; it isn't rocket surgery. He would have much more experince with the execution of this type of work and would probably be less expensive than an engineer.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 months ago

Any thoughts? Is it load bearing?

If it was, it isn't any longer.

• M Zug
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Joists in attic and basement are parallel to the wall that’s being taken down. That beam in the first photo peaking from wall only extended as you see there to just above the doorway and stopped- didn’t go all the way across

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 months ago

There isn't any load bearing framing in the first picture.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 months ago

Like they say if the sawzall blade doesn't bind when cutting and nothing falls on top of you it's not load bearing :-)

• cat_ky
    3 months ago

I agree, you need to call a contractor, that can tell you those things. I wouldnt remove another thing, until you have it all checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. I guess, I dont understand why you are wanting your kitchen viewable to your living room. I can see it open to a dining room, even though, I dont like that either, but, I would never want to view my kitchen from my living room.

• M Zug
    Original Author
    3 months ago

We have quite a small boxed in kitchen, kitchen table is tight when seating four- making the half wall a breakfast bar of some sort. Plus with the entertaining we do, opening it up works for us- our floor plan doesn’t really allow it any other way if we want a somewhat “open floor plan”

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago
  • colleenoz
    3 months ago

However you feel about the size of your kitchen, if you remove a load bearing wall to make it larger you’ll be in deep doo doo.

Before they start any demolition work, smart people get qualified professionals to identify load bearing walls and offer solutions to how to ensure your house stays up if you want/need to remove them.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022