Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_688795192

Powder room pedestal sink replacement

S Man
3 months ago

Hi all! we have a powder room with a pedestal sink. We would like to replace it with a small vanity. What size do yall recommend? Ive reposted with a picture and measurements of the corner this is going in. hopefully this helps!

the wall the mirror hanging on is 39 inches and then the distance from that to the door frame is 24 inches. Then from the ground to the top of the faucet is 33 inches. I hope this helps! We prefer a vanity for storage and looks

Comments (18)

• shirlpp
    3 months ago

Wall to wall is 24 inches?

• S Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Wall to wall that the mirror is on (width) is 39 inches. 24 inches is the distance from that wall to the door frame

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 months ago

Buy a stock 36” wide 21” deep vanity. Make two filler strips to extend it to the wall. Get a custom 39” top made.

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

I'd stick with a pedestal sink in that small space. Can you show more pictures of the rest of the bathroom?

• S Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Here is the rest

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

OK I'm changing my mind. Hallett is right you need a wall to wall vanity of some sort for storage of all that "stuff" you have. Get a covered basket for the top of the toilet to put toilet paper in.

I will say I like the M&M's decorating touch :-).

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Get a wall hung 36" floating vanity with drawers. This one is 22" deep. There are tons online to choose from in myriad colors and styles. Get one that the handle doesn't project out and that has good countertop space like this.

Before ordering anything, look behind your current sink at the pipe configuration to make sure it is simpatico and will easily fit with the spec of whatever unit you purchase.

Will the 1.5" gap on either side bother you? I have this situation and have never had anything fall of the top.

Morgan White Bathroom Vanity Set, 36", Without Mirror · More Info

• S Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you! the m&ms are for potty training the 2 year old twins 😂🤦🏽‍♂️

What are filler strips?

• Linda Dornan
    3 months ago

I think a cabinet above the toilet would also help tremendously with your obvious storage needs.

• coray
    3 months ago

Filler strips fill in the gaps to the wall…..you’d have 1.5” fillers on each side. (These are important because you don’t want skinny gaps between the cab and the walls…..things will fall down, esp with toddlers, and you can’t really get in there to clean….) This obviously works best if you get your cabinets from a cabinet co….they will order and install the fillers along with your cab. If you buy ready made cab you’d have to try to match fillers, make your own…..Kendrah’s example can work, but you obviously won’t get as much storage as in a standing vanity. (We have one just like it but 40” wide….you’ll need a special trap as regular p-traps won’t work….or do like DH and cut into the lower drawer!😬)

• Emily
    3 months ago

This one would look nice in your space and the dimensions fit. For a powder room I personally like a vanity that looks more like furniture than a standard built-in. Your mirror would have to be hung higher. The vanity should offer plenty of storage for a powder room. And you probably won’t have the potty training stool there forever, so I wouldn’t worry about that. Hang some beautiful artwork and the space will be very nice.

• Jan
    3 months ago

Take your measurements with you to Home Depot or a like store. There are a lot of ready made vanities that will fit that space.

• S H
    3 months ago

Our recently redone powder room (not yet styled). Our mirror wall is also around 39” and we replaced a pedestal sink with a stand alone 36” vanity. It’s so nice to have somewhere to put soap and a place to stash toilet paper (and we would have had a spot for our potty seat when we trained our kids - solidarity, my friend ;-).

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

I disagree with Linda Dorman. That bathroom is too small to have a cabinet above the toilet. It would chop things up even more. A nice print that would reflect in the mirror above the vanity would enhance things.

• S Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all so much! The advice has been great

• shirlpp
    3 months ago

You could put a shelf or two above the toilet and maybe put baskets on them to hold stuff.

• einportlandor
    3 months ago

Be sure to measure wall to wall from the floor so you take into the floor molding into account. I agree a vanity is a great option, even if you have to leave an inch or two on each side.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

I like a floating wall hung because it gives the impression of more space in a small bathrrom. It also can give you enough room to scoot a step stool underneath for kids to stand on. We have a 30” one in our small master bath and fit all of our toiletres and toilet paper in it. The thing holds a ton. It is our only bathroom storage.