Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

No longer thinning hair! Update Jan 2024

Annie Deighnaugh
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Using minoxidil since October 2023. I can see and feel a real difference. Much less shedding, though I'm not seeing little hairs growing like I expected. But I don't care. I've been using the Virtue product, but I'll be switching brands when this one runs out. Cheaper that way.

It's a bit of a pain to use. I have to put the mousse on every night. You have to rinse your fingers in icy water before putting the mousse on them or the mousse just turns to like water. Cold fingers keep it stiff long enough to apply it. I have to part my hair in several places to do it as you want to apply it to the scalp, not the hair, though it's impossible not to get the hair.

It has to be washed out if I want to look nice the next day as it leaves my hair flat, a little stiff and very dull the next am.

But it's worth it!!

Comments (38)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 months ago

Annie, looks great!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • bpath
    3 months ago

Now that is a visible difference! It looks great!

How hard is it to wash it out?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked bpath
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Easy...just regular shampoo...like any mousse product.

• tuesday_2008
    3 months ago

Wow! Looking good!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked tuesday_2008
  • bbstx
    3 months ago

Impressive results, AD! Have you tried the liquid minoxidil? I found it easier to control. I would part my hair and use the eye dropper to apply a little bit down each part.

Regretfully, the minoxidil did nothing for me because my problem was mis-diagnosed. I didn’t have female-pattern baldness; I have alopecia areata. It is responding to medication.

btw, the new dermatologist told me to use a drop of minoxidil at the base of my fingernails and they would grow faster. And they do!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked bbstx
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

No, bbstx, I haven't tried the liquid. I'll keep it in mind for sure.

I see they are talking about a new drug for alopecia areata...Litfulo?

• gsciencechick
    3 months ago

This is impressive! 👏

Annie Deighnaugh thanked gsciencechick
  • Irish2
    3 months ago

Definitely see the difference! Glad you found something that works for your hair.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Irish2
  • bbstx
    3 months ago

I’ll ask the dermatologist about that medication. Right now I’m taking Plaquenil which seems to be helping.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked bbstx
  • dedtired
    3 months ago

Very noticeable difference. You are dedicated to keep up that routine. Im so glad its working for you. Do you know what caused your hair thinning in the first place?

My hair shedding has stopped but my hair is a weird frizzy mess. Its like doll hair. The new growth sticks up like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. It’s been nearly a year since it started falling out.

My hairdresser recommended a darker color so the remaining hair is more noticeable. I want my blond back!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dedtired
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I'm assuming my hair loss is related to aging, genetics and loss of hormones.

Re the darker color, I really notice the hair loss with my scalp, and I'm glad my hair is lighter as the scalp never stood out so strongly vs. women with darker hair contrasting with their light scalp.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 months ago

My DDs and I have low iron. A symptom of that is hair loss. Have you had comprehensive blood work done? I am not sure that any of us have noticed hair loss, even the one with super low ferritin due to twin pregnancy.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • legomom23
    3 months ago

Great results! I admire your dedication. You really have to stick it out to get those results. I keep waivering on starting, but I’m not sure I’m ready to make the commitment.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked legomom23
  • teeda
    3 months ago

Wow, such a difference. Congratulations!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked teeda
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 months ago

That really is a noticeable difference. With your earlier pictures I think we could just hope we were seeing a difference for you and follow with encouragement. You've found what works for you - I'm so pleased!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 months ago

Oh, you must be so pleased, Annie! It looks like it is really working. Are you using over-the-counter Rogaine mousse or a prescription? Your results are very encouraging.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • rubyclaire
    3 months ago

Excellent update and results! For some reason I thought the Virtue was a shampoo with minoxidil. Since it is a mousse like Rogaine, is there a reason you started with the Virtue version? I'm curious as I discussed with my derm last week and she recommended to start with the Rogaine topical. Is the Virture the same but just more expensive? Thanks and congratulations!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked rubyclaire
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

RNmom, I do not have low iron, but have had low Vit D and am supplementing for that.

I started with the Virtue as I had been using their shampoo and conditioner and needed more. No the Virtue shampoo/conditioner and other products do not contain minoxidil. No I'm not doing Rx as it isn't necessary as it's readily available OTC. The active ingredient is the minoxidil, so any source of that in the same % should do the same. The rest of the ingredients are not important from a hair restoration POV. I think if you wanted to take the small dose internally, that would require an Rx, but as my dermo suggested, it will encourage hair growth everywhere, not just the top of your head. Though it would be easier to do than the topical approach.

• Bestyears
    3 months ago

Wow, that's very impressive.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bestyears
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 months ago

Happy for you, Annie! Those results show how it truly works, but it does take time.

A female co-worker used Rogaine for many years. We retired at the same time, and I am assuming she still uses it, since her hair looked fine when I’ve seen her. She wasn’t one to spend a lot of time with her hair and makeup, but she did care that she had hair.

I would think that if the Virtue product works, I would be reluctant to change. But if there is something with the same results, why not?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jill302
    3 months ago

Big difference, so happy you found something that works.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked jill302
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Looking at the October picture, I'd hate to think where I'd be had I not started the minoxidil!

• Bunny
    3 months ago

Annie, it's a very noticeable difference. I'm sure you're glad you stuck with it.

Once you feel happy with the amount of restored hair, will you have to keep using it every night, or can you cut back a bit? It sounds like the mousse makes your hair funky enough in the morning that it needs to be washed. I used to be an everyday shampooer, but am really glad I don't have to anymore (although my hair ALWAYS looks better after I've washed it).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Bunny, they say if you stop using it, your hair will fall out again, so it's a forever thing.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 months ago

I had been increasingly distressed by my thinning hair - I assume from age, hormones, and genetics (my mother's hair thinned badly, but not this early - she kept taking premarin up to about age 80 whereas I stopped it as soon as the hot flashes decreased). The scalp was sooo visible at the part lines!

A neighbor gave me her supply of minoxidil - 5 or 6 bottles of "Hims" (which is the 5% strength). Took me a couple of months to decide to try it. I've been using it for just exactly 2 months and have seen really good results! I am thinking of cutting back to just a half dropperful (0.5ml) daily to see if that maintains it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Arapaho-Rd
    3 months ago

Happy for you Annie! Your results are remarkable! I think my girlfriend took the pill version. Not sure of her results or if still taking it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Allison0704
    3 months ago

That was quick progress! I can really tell the difference.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Allison0704
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    3 months ago

That is amazing, so happy for you to see those results!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • eld6161
    3 months ago

Yay!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • maire_cate
    3 months ago

The improvement is remarkable. I'm so glad it's working well for you. I'm not sure that I would be so diligent.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked maire_cate
  • mollycats
    3 months ago

That is a huge difference. So happy it is working for you!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mollycats
  • nicole___
    3 months ago

Awesome results! Thanks for posting....gonna try it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nicole___
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 months ago

It's very strange, but something seems to have happened at about the 3 month mark. Just in the last week or so, the density increase has been notable.

• nicole___
    3 months ago

I just ordered Kirkland. I took YOUR advice....it's 5% minoxidle. My hair is kinky & coarse...like an afro....but always has been thin. My mothers hair thinned as she aged...so I may benefit from this.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nicole___
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

Bunny, they say if you stop using it, your hair will fall out again, so it's a forever thing.

I get that, but how soon? I just read a webpage comparing brands and formulations, and explaining how it works, but it said if you stop using it, by 3-6 months all that newly gained hair will fall out. It's like I figure it would be with Latisse-type products, which I use. I used to apply it every day, and my eyelashes grew longer, thicker, darker. Now I use it about 5 times per week and it's fine. I wondered if one using minoxidil could cut back slightly and maintain the increased hair production.

• bbstx
    3 months ago

Sorry, nicole, but minoxidil doesn’t grow more hair follicles; it stimulates dormant hair follicles. I don’t think your hair is going to get thicker, as in more strands, but it may appear thicker. When I used it, it was like I’d put some sort of stiffeneing product on my hair. It was very straw-y.

• nicole___
    3 months ago

@bbstx....this is what Annie used. If it holds my hair in place....that would be an improvement too....:0) Not expecting miracles. My afro looking hair is fine....too.