Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Do you think it's less safe today than it was decades ago?

Kathsgrdn
2 months ago

Someone mentioned in another thread that it isn't safe for kids to play outside unsupervised. I think if you watched missing person cases (cold cases in particular) you wouldn't think that it's any different than it has ever been. I remember being free to roam my neighborhood in San Pedro, CA all day long. Half the time my mom wasn't even home when I came inside to grab a sandwich to eat for lunch. My dad was usually "out to sea", as he was in the Navy.

I remember once riding my bike on our street, in Navy housing, and a car pulled up. The man stopped and stared at me, his passenger window was rolled down. I was waiting for him to pass so I could pedal up the street. I saw something that didn't make sense to me until years later. I was alone that day, no friends around. No adults anywhere to be seen other than this creepy man. I think I dodged a bullet that day. I was only 7 or 8 years old and small for my age. Not sure if I could have gotten away from him. He sat staring at me for what seemed like forever. He finally drove off. I just remember being so confused and I guess that's why I still remember it.

I think this stuff is more noticeable because of the instant news we have, internet and alerts we get on our phones. What do you think?

Comments (65)

• chisue
    2 months ago

Follow the money. People are profiting by selling 'security' from nameless dangers. Guns are a great example. The result is increased isolation and insecurity.

Kathsgrdn thanked chisue
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

ron, you've changed the subject.

I'll answer your comment after you answer mine.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lisaam
    2 months ago

I heard just part of an episode of Hidden Brain podcast recently but the part I heard was how an individual’s fears help construct opinions and political outlook. If we can discuss our fears without being criticized we may be able to understand each other.

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/red-brain-blue-brain/

Kathsgrdn thanked lisaam
  • lucillle
    2 months ago

I agree with Arcy that it can depend where you live. There are places in other countries where cartels and wars can make life very unsafe. And there is no question that some U.S. neighborhoods differ in the amount of violent crime.

Kathsgrdn thanked lucillle
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Repeating that there are a number of 'leaders' who stoke unwarranted fears in the public for personal gain, and have the help of media networks to amplify their messages. Perhaps they believe these things themselves - or not - but the effect is the same, regardless.

Kathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

Physical safety? Yes it's safer. There are other dangers of course, but it's safer with respect to violent crime.

Kathsgrdn thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • samkarenorkaren
    2 months ago

That's a tough one. Growing up I felt safe going to school and playing outside. I am more cautious now though.

Kathsgrdn thanked samkarenorkaren
  • ronminsouthga
    2 months ago

Elmer. It is so simple Enforce the laws, prosecute the criminals. Also, don't defund the police. Let them do their job. I am from Ga. you are in Ca. two different worlds. We will never agree.

Kathsgrdn thanked ronminsouthga
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

I agree with you in part but there's more to it. Enforce the laws, prosecute the criminals (at all levels of society, including public figures), give the police the money they need to do their jobs and show no mercy for those who break rules or bully the public, and make changes in laws that will make the citizenry safer.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

" I am more cautious now though. "

Sure, but some of that is simply due to age and the way our brains work.........When we're young we all feel invulnerable - it's kinda baked in for most kids and teens. Twenty-somethings too: They think it will never happen to them, and most of us felt that way when we were twenty-something too. The more we know, the harder it is for us to be oblivious, and then (not knowing how old you are) when you add in some physical infirmities, like not being able to run as fast, etc, and it results in being more cautious.

I remember distinctly the feeling of vulnerability that took over me when I was walking in Toronto on crutches, whereas I hadn't felt vulnerable at all walking those same blocks 2 weeks earlier. The street hadn't become more dangerous, I had just become more vulnerable.

• ronminsouthga
    2 months ago

Elmer, my last comment was deleted.

Kathsgrdn thanked ronminsouthga
  • Patriciae
    2 months ago

Defunding police is not about underfunding police, it is about using some of the money for social services people who would do a better job of dealing with those mentally impaired people the police treat like criminals. As in dont shoot crazy people, give them some help instead. How is that wrong?

When I was a kid there was a whole lot less traffic so there is that. Being out on the streets was less dangerous. Demographically the age of criminality was bigger during the boomer years. People tend to age out of that so with fewer young people you have statistically fewer criminals. We are getting old and criminally speaking that is a good thing. There are lots more of us though so your milage may vary as a person. Statistics isnt everything when it is you or yours.

Kathsgrdn thanked Patriciae
  • lucillle
    2 months ago

It does seem to me that even taking violent crime into consideration, in many places in the world more people have a longer life expectancy.

• Olychick
    2 months ago

"Defunding police is not about underfunding police" It was an unfortunate choice of slogans, because it SOUNDS like people are calling for fewer police, resulting police departments less prepared to fight crime. Funding for dealing with the difficult situations that police encounter should be funded separately and coordinated with police responses. Verbally and emotionally tying non-police response teams to less funding for policing is a no-win/no-support connection for many people. No matter how much it's explained that it doesn't mean what it sounds like, people are never going to believe it doesn't mean fewer police. And many people believe the police keep them safe. (I know some groups have reason to believe the police are a danger to them).

Kathsgrdn thanked Olychick
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 months ago

How can repeated gun massacres, so many that they barely make the news anymore, make life safer for anyone? I remember the Texas Tower massacre in 1966, the first massacre. The nation was stunned, horrified. Now it would be just one more.

• Lars
    2 months ago

The proliferation of assault rifles has made us less safe IMO. I would rather live in a country with fewer guns.

Kathsgrdn thanked Lars
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Same, Lars

• dedtired
    2 months ago

Yes, i feel less safe due to handguns and assault rifles being so available. In the past, an altercation would result in a bloody nose. Now its a shooting match with horrible results. In general people just seem angrier to me. I think of random shooters when i go to a mall or theater. The odds are low but not zero.

I also feel like I am more likely to be hit by a car or involved in a car accident thanks to cell phones and angry drivers.

Kathsgrdn thanked dedtired
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

It is well documented that drivers are more aggressive these days on average, resulting in more crashes.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 months ago

I do feel less safe because of the rise in gun ownership, the hair-trigger anger of so many (and lack of mental health support and other resources) and the cell phone/ car combination that causes more car accidents. Many people drive like maniacs, at least around here.

Kathsgrdn thanked chinacatpeekin
  • likestonehomes
    2 months ago

The world has changed a lot, social media, desensitization via violent video gaming, apathy, lack of awareness re surroundings…Folks often dont practice risk management. people from impoverished, violent torn countries want safety.. Neither canada nor America can embrace all victims wanting to escape their violent homelands.

We are ever so lucky to live here, I feel awful when hearing about refugees andhorrors they have experienced. There is no easy solution,perhaps it is a G7 problem and for the G7 to try to resolve.

Kathsgrdn thanked likestonehomes
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

It occurred to me that safety isn't just about crime. Where I live, the threat of severe hurricanes keeps increasing, and the past several years have produced horribly destructive storms. We are in a mandatory evac zone, which is nerve wracking. So far we've been very fortunate, but there's no guarantee that will continue.

A number of other large scale events also contribute to an overarching feeling of uncertainty and danger, and I know I'm not alone in feeling that.

So the more I ponder it, the more I realize how unsafe I feel nowadays, compared to decades ago.

• Olychick
    2 months ago

Speaking of cults....

Kathsgrdn thanked Olychick
  • lucillle
    2 months ago

WOKE broke our safety and our security

That is not even logical. Are you just raving or are you parroting ridiculous stuff?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

" A society where disdain is now felt for the traditional Judeo-Christian value system that prevailed in past decade "

I call BS. For many reasons. What evidence do you have that "traditional Judeo-Christian values" are disdained? Most people who say that don't know what "traditional Judeo-Christian values" are

" A HUGE part of what made America safer that most other countries were those values. "

Also call BS. It wasn't safer than most other peer countries (i.e. rich, developed)

• Patriciae
    2 months ago

We don't know what the number of sexual assaults actually is because most of them go unreported.

I was just recently reading up on recidivism of people let out of prison. A person in for murder was actually very unlikely to do so again. It is hard to know if it is because of aging out of criminal behavior or if the murder was a one off or an impulsive act of a young person. They do however commit other non violent crimes possibly because they cant get jobs. Interesting stuff there.

More guns means more suicide. That is the one factor pro-gun people don't think about. The majority of gun deaths are self inflicted. 64% at the moment.

Kathsgrdn thanked Patriciae
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

The apparent absence of any sense of irony would be amusing if it weren't so sad.

Decrying the lack of 'golden rule' behavior and displaying at the same time a distinct lack of one's own?

And the way some people offer descriptions of horrendous acts of depravity gives the impression they relish it.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 months ago

Carol, I agree; it’s…(let’s call it) interesting to see The Golden Rule first evoked and then immediately broke-n within a single paragraph; your description of an apparent obsession and fascination with “horrendous acts of depravity” is on point, as well.

Kathsgrdn thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

Some commentators are blatantly clueless and best ignored. That's my usual practice.

• lucillle
    2 months ago

I try to assess the content, not the person. I thought Arcy had a good point (and said so) when she brought up that as far as safety goes, where one lives can be an important factor. I strongly disagreed with her latest comment and said so too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

Don't dissect the words with a microscope, lucille. I can say it differently - some of the comments made are obviously uninformed and best ignored.

• Bookwoman
    2 months ago

Whenever anyone quotes Leviticus, I'm usually reminded of this: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxW2X7Wr4witPNQBFIEOncZuuZL-0AytU5?si=r3E60z12tqyF02K1

• ronminsouthga
    2 months ago

Ron, how many innocent people have been shot by citizens so far in 2024 as compared to those shot by non-citizens? Who knows? The media lies Look at the rape and murder of the Athens girl. The media called the killer the Athens man. Did you read the real story of her murder. Illegal, who had several convections in several states. Also, read about the illegal's brother. So you are correct the real data on shootings in the US is our citizens are killing mostly black on black. I live in Ga. Have kids that graduated from UGA. Athens is now a sanctuary city. This will not go well for UGA or Athens. We will not support this.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

" The media lies "

The members/segment of the media and people in the public eye who demonstrably lie over and over are the ones I suspect you pay the most attention to.

If your allegation is true, then we all need to be accustomed to living and making decisions without information.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

"Vengeance is mine... saith the Lord"

• ronminsouthga
    2 months ago

More guns means more suicide. That is the one factor pro-gun people don't think about. The majority of gun deaths are self inflicted. 64% at the moment. That is the dumbest statement I have ever read. Oh, lets say I want to kill myself but I don't have a gun. Well maybe there are pills, a knife, a pond I can droned in and don't forget a car.

• ronminsouthga
    2 months ago

Elmer, I Do Not rely on any news on CNN, MSNBC or other TV news that does include FOX. So where do you get your news???

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

This is not the Hot Topics forum.

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

"This is not the Hot Topics forum."

No, but it's educational to occasionally reveal the kinds of views lurking in the woodwork.

Re sexual assault stats. These are notoriously difficult to collect due to definitions of assault, reporting rates and different laws in different countries. It is grossly underreported in many countries. Hence the apparent high rate for Sweden. If recalculated using the German criteria, the Swedish rate plummets.

• lucillle
    2 months ago

I don't think that the initial topic, our perception of our own safety, is necessarily a hot topic in and of itself.

• likestonehomes
    2 months ago

“More likely Australia, United kingdom or Canada where you're 4 x's more likely to be sexually assaulted in Canada”…Many sources refute this satatement, not sure where you got your info. In fact, Sexual Assaults are more rampant in USA than in Canada, at least according to stat sources from, the UN whuch Ranks USA: Canada 1.69 per 100k pop. USA 27.31. Other sourches also support the Fact that America has more rapes and violent crime tjan Canada.This heinous crime is severely under reported, under investigated and one of the hardest to gain or win a conviction in court. Ask me how I know.!

With dual citizenship, Having lived in both countries, and experiencing life in various states with differing ideologies. I can say Canada feels safer to me, at least.

From a world perspective,, both countries are amazing and I would not want to live in any other. I hope and pray world events do not fall on our side of the Large Pond.

It is also my experience that we all want, freedom, live in peace. prosperity, safe from harm…its how we achieve these that begets, ire.. conflict, division etc.

• likestonehomes
    2 months ago

Would love this thread to stay alive….

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

" “More likely Australia, United kingdom or Canada where you're 4 x's more likely to be sexually assaulted in Canada”…Many sources refute this satatement, not sure where you got your info. "

Yes, I too wondered where ron's info came from........I am betting, which I've seen on several websites, that ron is comparing stats on "rape" with stats on "sexual assault", which is like comparing apples and fruit.

• Sisters in faith
    2 months ago

There's been an increase in gunfire that we can hear. I feel safe within my neighborhood. I've made a point of knowing my neighbors. There are parts of town, where I won't go alone.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

FWIW, my comments were directed at those who seem to want to take the discussion down a path to certain deletion...

And I do agree that it's enlightening to see people's attitudes and mindsets made clear.

• Ally De
    2 months ago

" A number of other large scale events also contribute to an overarching feeling of uncertainty and danger, and I know I'm not alone in feeling that.

So the more I ponder it, the more I realize how unsafe I feel nowadays, compared to decades ago."

That was an astute observation Carol, and I'm still digesting it. However you've summarized how I feel perfectly.

Everyone knows the old line - There are three kinds of lies: lies, darned lies and statistics. I've seen people argue data shows we're safer, and I've seen people argue data shows we're not.

• sjerin
    2 months ago

Thanks for the clip, Bookwoman! How I miss that show.

Perceived (hearsay) fear breeds ignorance. Ignorant people are easier to manipulate.

• likestonehomes
    2 months ago

Absolutely crime is increasing. Hence, this corroborates one’s feelings or sense of not being as safe as we once felt. In canada, it is interesting to note the location where most of the increase in violent crimes occurs. The NWT, Nunavut are not places which attract immigrants, regardless of legitimacies.

The USA also has one of highest number of gun deaths in the world.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/240130/dq240130a-eng.htm

• blfenton
    2 months ago

It's too bad some people cherry-pick stats without reading or producing the reasons for the stats.

Sweden and Australia's sexual assault rates are higher because they have a very broad definition of sexual assault and because they also have a very strong victim support system so that women are not afraid to step forward and lodge a complaint.

In Canada the definition has also been broadened.. In a community near where I live a woman was hiking and a man walked past her and patted her on her rear. She had her phone out and called him on it. He was charged with sexual assault and found guilty, Her identity was protected, his was not and she was given victim support. Sexual assault isn't just about rape.

Oh and I guess they defunded the police so that she could get victim support. /s

When given a pile of stats it's important to read all the narrative that describes the study and to read all the little bits of information at the bottom.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

That illustrates another point, blfenton - namely, that disinformation usually contains a nugget of truth, which makes it more somewhat difficult to counter, and more readily believed.