Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_598428200

Still streaming and worth re-watching

Judi
last month

I typically don't re-watch, but an email from Netflix popped up just now suggesting a few mini-series and made me remember a great one.

Alias Grace is based on Margaret Atwood's novel.

"Alias Grace tells the story of young Grace Marks, a poor Irish immigrant and domestic servant in Upper Canada who is accused and convicted of the 1843 murder of her employer and his housekeeper. Stablehand James McDermott is also convicted of the crime. McDermott is hanged, but Grace is sentenced to life in prison, leading her to become one of the most notorious women of the period in Canada. The story is based on actual 19th-century events."

Comments (9)

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    last month
    last modified: last month

I found a site I can watch for free. It's "Dailymotion". At least it appears I can watch the whole series. I've bookmarked it and will watch later tonight. Thanks.

ETA: I just watched episode one. So far, I think I'll enjoy it, but also having a difficult time understanding the accent. And the subtitle option isn't working. Plus the "commercials". ugh. But I can skip them rather quickly.

• arcy_gw
    last month

Why are you recommending this story? Was she innocent? Nothing thus far says her story should have been glorified with a movie.....

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

" Nothing thus far says her story should have been glorified with a movie..... "

Huh?

Here is a small sample of WONDERFUL books and movies that come to mind immediately that are based on murder or other serious crimes committed by important characters:

The Godfather

In Cold Blood

Chinatown

Killers of the Flower Moon

Silence of the Lambs

Psycho

Let's not forget the work of the English writer of filthy trash whose stories often have murders, like:

Macbeth

Othello

Julius Caesar

Hamlet

King Lear

and many others.

Edit to add:

Whether one agrees or not (I don't particularly), there have been many people over the last 70+ years who sincerely believed that individuals from military, political, and scientific circles who contributed to the development of the atomic bomb that killed several hundred thousand civilians were guilty of murder. So to have a complete list, the movie Oppenheimer should also be on the list of filth. A movie many speculate will win Best Picture.

• lakeaffect_gw
    last month

Well, arcy panning a show they haven’t seen is unsurprising. This was a great mini series, very well done all around and features Paul Gross, an excellent, underrated Canadian actor (and if you like link him in this, try to find Slings & Arrows, an excellent, and also underrated, Canadian TV show).

• Judi
    Original Author
    last month

And he's hot to boot! 😂

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    last month

Well.......I binged watched all six episodes over the course of today. I must say it was riveting, especially the last two episodes. Thanks for sharing.

Judi thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Judi
    Original Author
    last month

Were you able to watch for free on Dailymotion? I'd never heard of that service until you mentioned it.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    last month

Yes. The only way I found it was I Googled, "Alias Grace" and where to watch. Dailymotion was one option and it was free - at least at that time. I don't know about future viewing. I searched for info about that but didn't see any.

I bookmarked the site and just now was browsing for other titles. There seems to be a slew of categories, mostly foreign series, movies. I chose one with British sitcoms. They're old programs but goodies. Except I wanted to try the "Allo Allo" compilation video they offered but it kept buffering and I got tired of waiting. There are the annoying ads popping up during the program.

• Re Tired
    last month

Thanks for the recommendation.