Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

My DH died , I am heartbroken UPDATE

Lyban zone 4
last month
last modified: last month

It has been 10 days now and i dont know what to do, say or think.

i am numb.

i knew it was coming, he had the big C for the last 18 months. but after so many years together it is hard.

i think harder because he was such a good man. i know that sounds like something everybody says but he truly was loved by all who knew him.

i dont know why I am telling you all here but i feel like you are my second family.

Comments (127)

• nekotish
    last month

So sorry for your loss Lyban. I hope you have the support that you need. There are truly no words to make your grief any less but just talking about it might help a little. There are a lot of people here who are present and ready to listen to you. I wish you peace and strength.

Lyban zone 4 thanked nekotish
  • Kitchenwitch111
    last month

I'm so sorry, Lyban. My husband died in 2011 so I know how awful it is. My family, friends and adult children got me through but I also found an online widowed group that was very helpful -- when you're ready. Sending you love -- please keep posting - we are here for you.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • barncatz
    last month

I'm posting this link and hope it doesn't poof. I randomly ran across the article and comments in the late afternoon after a truly bad day missing my horses. I believe, and it sounds so weird, that my mare was comforting me and reminding me that though one dimension of her being is gone, not all has disappeared, and our love abides. Hope someone else enjoys it.

Lyban zone 4 thanked barncatz
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last month

Lyban, I am so sorry. I do grouch about my husband from time to time. I just vent on here. Of course, he and I are different people. He is a "everything must be out at all times" and I am a " everything has a place behind closed doors". He can drive me crazy! He retired in 2003 and it got worse.

I cannot imagine him not here...... We have been married 54 years this July............

Lyban zone 4 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • LynnNM
    last month

(((Lyban))), like all of your ”family” here, I am so incredibly sorry! I can only begin to imagine all you’re going through. My daughter is a clinical mental health therapist and through her I’ve learned how much help they can be, especially during times of trauma like yours. I urge you to consider someone like that to help you if you need. But, please know that we here are also here for you. And know that I will be keeping you in my prayers for comfort❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked LynnNM
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last month

Lyban, reading this from you “… my family of virtual friends bring a smile to my face.…” brought tears to my eyes and warmth to my heart. From eld, “Know that the wagons are circling.” … and from bestyears, “Please come here any time and we will show up.”. I have nothing to add to that and all the thoughtful replies from our friends here.

Lyban zone 4 thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • blubird
    last month

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lyban.

Lyban zone 4 thanked blubird
  • Gooster
    last month

(((((lyban)))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was truly a great man and wonderful husband.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Gooster
  • daisychain Zn3b
    last month

I can't even imagine how hard this must be. Please take care of yourself and I hope you are able to find support from in person friends and family as well as what we can offer here and, as LynnNM says, there are great professionals out there who can offer invaluable support). Hugs.

Lyban zone 4 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Lizzie_grow
    last month

Oh Lyban, I am so sorry. Please continue to reach out. Virtual hugs & healing thoughts....Liz

Lyban zone 4 thanked Lizzie_grow
  • texanjana
    last month

I am so very sorry, Lyban. Holding you in my heart.

Lyban zone 4 thanked texanjana
  • ljwrar
    last month

I am very sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing.

Lyban zone 4 thanked ljwrar
  • stacey_mb
    last month

So sorry, Lyban, to hear your sad news. I hope that your memories of your dear DH will help sustain you through this sad and difficult time.

Lyban zone 4 thanked stacey_mb
  • HU-23972413
    last month

Sending you loving thoughts as you travel this road.

Lyban zone 4 thanked HU-23972413
  • ladypat1
    last month

Cannot think of words that will take the pain away. Give yourself time and try to be around others. ((Lyban))

Lyban zone 4 thanked ladypat1
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    last month

Good morning my dear virtual friends. i was blown away by all your words of love and support. i am feeling a bit better today.

i know time is what i need and i do try to stay strong .

i have one daughter and one grand daughter and i know i have to be here for them.

A few asked about my DH, I met him through work , we were married for 57 years . He was a very kind and generous person. he would always want to help others and i never heard him say a bad word about anyone, he accepted everyone as they were.

He had a beautiful close relationship with our daughter and GD.

again thank you for being here for me and i come to the forum often now to pass some time and read about what others are up to.

• maddielee
    last month

I wish I had been lucky enough to have known him Lyban.

I think he would say the same about you. Remember to take care of yourself. ❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked maddielee
  • blfenton
    last month

Fifty-seven years! Wow. You and your DH are so blessed. He sounds like a really fine and decent person. ((((hugs))))

Lyban zone 4 thanked blfenton
  • graywings123
    last month

I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you are going through. I'm reminded of the phrase:

with great love comes great pain, and with great loss comes the greatest pain of all

Lyban zone 4 thanked graywings123
  • Jilly
    last month

Hugs, Lyban. It’s good to see you posting … thank you for sharing more about your wonderful DH.

Thinking of you and your family. ❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked Jilly
  • barncatz
    last month

I just had lunch with my dear cousin, whose husband died about 7 years ago. We had a great discussion about the magnitude of this particular loss. She described her husband in words very similar to yours. She said at one point "You go on. What choice do you have?" And I told her, no, you had a choice. And you chose to build back a really good life.

Thinking of you.

• rubyclaire
    last month

"You go on. What choice do you have?" And I told her, no, you had a choice. And you chose to build back a really good life.

I love this.

Lyban zone 4 thanked rubyclaire
  • dani_m08
    last month

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lyban zone 4 thanked dani_m08
  • Kswl
    last month

A work romance that became a 57 year marriage— how wonderful for you both! It can be tiring to be the strong one all the time. Take care of yourself along with your daughter and granddaughter. I am thankful you three have each other to lean on ❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Fifty seven years, how wonderful! It is never enough though, however long we have together.

As far as being strong. I say not always. I always tell DH "stoicism is highly overrated." Allow yourself your feelings at least from time to time.

I know from your posts you are very close to your DD and GD, what a blessing.

Lyban zone 4 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last month

Lyban, what a wonderful man he was. I'm so happy for you that you have a daughter and granddaughter to call yours.

You've been on my mind since I read your post. Honestly. With each thought I've said a prayer for your healing.

I hope you stay with us here to be a part of this special group of people, who are there in many ways that sometimes in-real-life people are not.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

Lyban, just thinking of you and sending you thoughts of comfort and solace in this most difficult time.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Bethpen
    last month

Lyban, I'm so very sorry for your devastating loss. May the memory of your 57 years together bring you comfort.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Bethpen
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

One of the best poems ever for grief. I cry every time I read it..

Epitaph

by Merrit Malloy

When I die

Give what’s left of me away

To children

And old men that wait to die.

And if you need to cry,

Cry for your brother

Walking the street beside you.

And when you need me,

Put your arms

Around anyone

And give them

What you need to give to me.

I want to leave you something,

Something better

Than words

Or sounds.

Look for me

In the people I’ve known

Or loved,

And if you cannot give me away,

At least let me live on in your eyes

And not on your mind.

You can love me most

By letting

Hands touch hands,

By letting

Bodies touch bodies,

And by letting go

Of children

That need to be free.

Love doesn’t die,

People do.

So, when all that’s left of me Is love,

Give me away.

I’ll see you at home In the earth.

• lascatx
    last month

I have 2 books of poems by Merrit Malloy and I have always loved that one.

Lyban zone 4 thanked lascatx
  • elunia
    last month

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you can find comfort and peace in the memories of your husband.

Lyban zone 4 thanked elunia
  • kitschykitch
    14 days ago

Just to say I (and I am sure others) have been thinking about you and hope you are healing.

Lyban zone 4 thanked kitschykitch
  • Kswl
    14 days ago

❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked Kswl
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Kitschykitch & Kswl,

thank you for thinking of me . things are getting a bit better every day. there are times i can go a few days and manage quite well and then for no reason I go to pieces.

but that said i do see more light at the end of the tunnel.

i realize now that i still have a daughter and grand daughter that need me so I am working hard on trying to stay strong for them and i guess myself.

i am lucky to have them and am trying to be positive and count my blessings.

i know my DH would have wanted that.

• Jilly
    14 days ago

Hugs, Lyban ❤️❤️

Lyban zone 4 thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    14 days ago

I am so glad to see an update from you Lynn. You sound better. Be gentle with yourself! 💕

Lyban zone 4 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    14 days ago

Lyban ❤️ 🙏

Lyban zone 4 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • daisychain Zn3b
    14 days ago

Take care, Lyban. Think about you often and appreciate the update.

Lyban zone 4 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • OutsidePlaying
    14 days ago

Sending good wishes and hugs, Lyban. It is great to read your update.

Lyban zone 4 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • pudgeder
    14 days ago

Grief is a process that cannot be rushed through. Be gentle on yourself. ((hugs))

Lyban zone 4 thanked pudgeder
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    14 days ago

Thank you for your update. You have been the thoughts of all here.

Lyban zone 4 thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 days ago

Hugs and strength to you Lyban....

Lyban zone 4 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • maddielee
    14 days ago

Peace and love to you Lyban.

Lyban zone 4 thanked maddielee
  • hhireno
    14 days ago

I’m glad to hear from you. Wishing you a continued smooth path.

Lyban zone 4 thanked hhireno
  • rich69b
    13 days ago

Wishing you comfort and strength, love and peace.

Lyban zone 4 thanked rich69b
  • DLM2000-GW
    13 days ago

Grief is an unmarked path we have to travel to get to an unknown destination. One step at a time.

Lyban zone 4 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    13 days ago

Thank you for the update Lyban. I liken grief to waves in a storm. At first they knock you over from every which way and seem never to stop. With time they come less often and less powerful, but then every once in awhile, for no reason at all, a rogue wave will come along and toss you again. It's only because we've loved so much that we grieve so deeply. Sending you thoughts of comfort and solace.

• barncatz
    13 days ago

Thank you for your post, Lyban. Seeing something other than the huge hole left by your loved one is just a tiny reassurance that your life will still have joy. DH and I were at a poetry reading yesterday and an author read one about that "rogue wave" Annie described so well. It is still such early days for you, keep taking care of your grieving heart.

• maire_cate
    13 days ago

Just sending hugs your way and prayers for healing.