Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rewindtech

Beautiful Weeping Alaskan Cedar Photo!

There is a neighborhood in our town with very expensive and large houses. The gardens and conifer selections people have made are incredible! Lots of Alaskan Cedars, Weeping White Pines, White Firs, Norway Spruces, Eastern Redcedars, the works! This is just one of the houses where they have 3 line in a semicircle around the house. Truly beautiful.

Comments (24)

• Sigrid
    last month

It looks to me like they are too close to the house and block the porch. I would not be surprised if a future owner chops them down.

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    last month

They aren’t, it just looks like that from the angle

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last month

Neat trees

• bengz6westmd
    last month
    last modified: last month

Thanks for the pic. They can be stunning, perhaps one of the most elegant trees. I tried one early on and it failed (don't know why), but seeing a couple beauties here and there, planted another one. I have green giant arborvitaes and they're looking like their western arborvitae half-parent, but it's a soldierly form, not elegant.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last month

Lovely.

• Jennz9b
    last month

Gorgeous!

• Tera Hunter
    last month

Beautiful house and trees! I wish we had some like that, we have the scrubby black spruce that drop spiders down if you bump into them. Nasty.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

Lots of grass to mow.

Thanks for sharing.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last month

Beautiful! Trees are my favorite landscape design element.

• btydrvn
    last month

Having grown up in the area where the Sequoias grow ( tho endangered now).. all I remember is how damp and cool it was for trees like this to thrive

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    last month

We are obviously not in these trees native area but Giant Sequoias and Alaskan Cedars pretty much thrive for me, they are great trees to add to a yard, given that you have the space

• btydrvn
    last month

Is it normal to have this much snow at this time of year…?..those trees really are incredible

• bengz6westmd
    last month

I had this pic posted on another thread, but it's also appropriate for this thread. In a west MD urban area. They are very effective planted in threes.....

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    last month

In spite of their popularity in the nursery trade, I am sure really large, healthy-looking ones are seldom seen in the DC - Baltimore - Philly corridor. This makes me think they eventually fail. My 12 yr old 'Green Arrow' has sap coming out of the trunk and branchlets browning. Still a ways to go until I decide to put it out of its misery, but if I were a betting man, in another decade it isn't going to be a feature of my garden. The National Arboretum has a few cultivars, but the condition of some of them is noted as only 'fair'.

It goes without saying that the climate of coastal OR, WA, BC and Alaska is vastly different from the mid-Atlantic CONUS one! The plurality of conifers from that part of the world certainly DON'T do well in our area.

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    last month

Those are pretty big ones and they look flawless. I’d say we have some of the coolest summers in the eastern US though.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

They've been seeing problems with this tree for a hundred years in the native range of this tree.

https://the-root-cause-of-yellow-cedar-decline/

• bengz6westmd
    last month

Davidrt, Nootka cypress is one of the parents of Leyland cypress, and those have become rather disease-ridden in alot of their eastern US plantings. That might be an issue.....

• plantkiller_il_5
    last month

Mine planted next to green giants

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    last month

Thanks Bill interesting link, it perhaps got a bit mangled...should be:

https://botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/what-is-the-root-cause-of-yellow-cedar-decline/

They are the professional scientists, not me, but the article implies they are entirely pinning it on changing climate, which seems rather implausible. More likely with the long history of Pacific Rim trade with East Asia, some novel species of disease organism was introduced to the area. They claim "decades of research" have discounted that possibility...well some plant pathogens are notoriously difficult to study, like Phytoplasma.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

Oh, I just left part of the link showing in the text line so people could see it was an https site (safe site).

The hidden link is the same as what you posted above and hopefully took you the the right place. It worked for me anyways.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

david:

I'm in no way confirming the results on the UBC site.

I am generally in contention that the universities have the resources and information to be the best source for information and results on these subjects. But I'm no professional either and have no way of knowing who's pulling my leg. ;-)

I just thought I'd post this in case it had something to do with the trees out east.

Probably not unless some microbe like you say is imbedded somehow.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    last month

"The hidden link is the same as what you posted above and hopefully took you the the right place. It worked for me anyways."

Oh I see what you did now!

No worries.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

Yeah, when you use the 'Link' button, you can put anything you want in the top line for people to see.

I know people here that don't like to click on links they can't identify. The https: is generally a secure site.