Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_clements4

Should I paint part of my cabinets to break up the darkness?

Mary Clements
last month
last modified: last month

Comments (14)

• T T
    last month

I wouldn't. I think your lighter counters and rugs brightens it up. If it still feels too dark, you might consider different bulbs (either in brightness or in color temperature). I think it looks nice as is.

Mary Clements thanked T T
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

No! It looks very nice as-is. I don't find it dark -- yes the cabinets are dark in color, but the room itself isn't dark or too heavy-looking. My only suggestion would be jazzier rugs. I think you've got a very nice kitchen - don't muck it up with painted cabinets.

Mary Clements thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • darbuka
    last month

If by ”stylish” you mean trendy, keep the cabinets as is. Wood Shaker cabs are in style, and will have a far greater lifespan, than the two toned, different colored uppers from lowers look…which is already dated.

As others have said, despite the dark cabinets, your kitchen is not dark. The plentiful, and well placed recessed lighting is doing its job. And, the counter and backsplash are light.

Think about adding under cabinet lights, if you don’t already have them. Often, they’re the only lights I turn on in my stained wood kitchen.

Frankly, the change I’d make, is installing a true vent hood…and putting a microwave elsewhere. Much better for the health of your family (yes, even with induction cooking), and will bring the appearance of the kitchen up a notch.

Mary Clements thanked darbuka
  • Mary Clements
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for your responses so far!!! I thought about a range hood when installing the kitchen. The reason I did not is because of counter space. I reconfigured my cabinets to maximize the counter space. I got rid of my wall oven to combine it with the all in one range.. I raised a family here and I always yearned for more counter space. I agree about under cabinet lighting

• cat_ky
    last month

The cabinets look very nice. If it feels dark to you, paint is definitely not the answer, more lighting is, and also the correct light bulbs in what you already have is the answer. A little less beige would help too (rugs) Some color added would brighten it up considerably. Right now, its a nice well done kitchen, and very clean, just a bit boring.

Mary Clements thanked cat_ky
  • Debbie Downer
    last month

I like it as is, but then brown + bright creamy white is one of my favs. Ironically, one way to de emphasize something is to incorporate more of it elsewhere! Maybe fabrics, rugs with similar darker browns in the pattern....? You may also want to add some additional vivid accent color using colors from countertop.... cant tell but are there some golds/ grays in there?

IMHO the value of paint is mostly either to correct a really egregious error or, later down the line to refresh and extend the life of the cabinets a few years.

Mary Clements thanked Debbie Downer
  • millworkman
    last month

" Should I paint part of my cabinets to break up the darkness?"

Absolutely not. Those cabinets are beautiful and the kitchen looks good as is.

Mary Clements thanked millworkman
  • chispa
    last month

I think you need to install better under cabinet lights. LED rope light placed towards the front of your upper cabinets. Make sure the Kelvin matches that of your recessed lights and add a dimmer. The newer type give an even light all across the "rope" and you don't need a diffuser.

Mary Clements thanked chispa
  • cawaps
    last month

I think it looks great. The only part I might consider painting is the coffee bar, because it's around the corner from the kitchen and therefore a bit separated. That's not me saying it doesn't look great, but depending on what else is going on in the dining side of the room changing it up could visually take it from looking like part of the kitchen to looking like part of the rest of the house. But even if that sounds like a good idea, painting cabinets well is a lot of work/cost, and it looks good as is.

Mary Clements thanked cawaps
  • Mary Clements
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks to everyone contributing so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for under cabinet lighting that is diy friendly? I have always wanted to have under cabinet lighting. I just have it at the coffee bar now. Also, I agree it needs some jazzing up with color. I grew up in a cluttered and messy house, so I’ve always tried to keep items pared down, but I could add a few colors

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

It’s not dark, it’s just bland because there is little color, pattern or texture to add interest. Love the 2 bird pics - can you find one area rug that pulls a bit of color from the bird picture (do I see a hint of orange?) for the room? I don’t like the small rugs, they are not working.

Mary Clements thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

You can put the two rugs you have next to each other to get a feel for how it will look. Measure them to see if you want to go bigger or smaller. You get a rug locally, roll it out, and see how it looks, then return it if you don’t like it. Once you know what size works, you can order one online. Some kind people on this site might even mock it up for you.

Mary Clements thanked ShadyWillowFarm
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH