Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Which Belt and Shoes With This Dress?

Kswl
last month
last modified: last month

New dress from Zara, first purchase from that store. Dress is an allover black and white print shirt dress with a tiered skirt. (Did not realize from the picture online that the dress was tiered, which is good bc I would not have ordered it and I like it.) Wearing to church tomorrow and realize I have lots of belts I can use instead of the self belt that came with it: a narrow red leather Brighton belt with silver fittings and buckle, a narrow stretchy black belt with a gold buckle, a wide black belt of leather and stretchy stuff with a round buckle, a stretchy straw belt with a round wooden buckle, and a silver Brighton chain belt with a silver heart buckle.

I made a single photo because at this point I think everyone is well and truly sick of full size pictures of yours truly 🙄 I also have several pairs of shoes that would work: black flats, black Mary Janes, red Tieks, and linen and black leather spectator flats. Here are a few combinations:

I took these photos with an ipad so they aren’t as sharp as the phone, sorry! I’m thinking it’s too early for linen shoes and a (partially) straw bag? My favorite on first glance is the red belt and shoes but looking at the pictures I see that the belt may be too narrow for the volume of the dress.

What do you think? It will be raining tomorrow and I will be wearing a light khaki trench coat and most likely carrying a medium sized black leather bag with double handles. Vintage silver clip on earrings and no other jewelry (have pearls on in some pictures but not wearing them as they get lost in the print.

Comments (28)

• Olychick
    last month

Um, tomorrow? Where's the green?

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • Sueb20
    last month

Kswl thanked Sueb20
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I gave a St. Patrick’s brunch yesterday for fourteen guests and I’m done with green! Also, if you can believe it, my only green belt is a chartreuse satin sash.

• maddielee
    last month

I think I like the self belt (last pic) best best. The belts seem to cut you in half. (I am on my phone and couldn’t enlarge the pics, I may change my opinion tomorrow when I see them on a larger screen.)

eta: and yes to some green 🍀

Kswl thanked maddielee
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Good point, Maddielee. I wear belts a lot, they are my default position for almost any outfit. Maybe this dress has enough going on and doesn’t need another feature? Mulling that one over. …. thank you!

• blfenton
    last month

That dress is so cute. I don't care for the red but I can't see the others very well so can't state a preference.

Kswl thanked blfenton
  • terezosa / terriks
    last month

The wider black belt 3rd from the left in the top row looks best to me.

Kswl thanked terezosa / terriks
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last month

The red is really nice. Adds a little color, but lets the print be the boss.

Kswl thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • teeda
    last month

Cute dress. I also like the red belt.

Kswl thanked teeda
  • Funkyart
    last month

The dress looks like it was made for you! I like the self-belt but second choice is black with gold. Really, they all look fine. Go with your mood ;)

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

It’s very dreary here, rainy and kind of warm-ish so the HAIR is going to be a bigger problem than the belt. i just got a new keratin leave in treatment that I may try today. In another month I can wear a straw hat on these days. I do have a cute khaki bucket hat for rain but then… hat hair.

I’m now leaning towards the self belt with black flats and purse. I was reminded by a morning email that we have the stations of the cross between services today and maybe red doesn’t strike the right note for that.

• bbstx
    last month

First picture on the bottom row…black flats and black belt with gold buckle.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • Nora Lambert
    last month

Kswl, Good morning and Happy St Patty’s Day. I wonder if you would mind sharing your experience with ordering from Zara? I’m unfamiliar with that site, but love your black and white dress. They have so many really cute dresses and very reasonably priced. Did it take long to receive your order? Any information you are willing to share would be much appreciated.

Kswl thanked Nora Lambert
  • Funkyart
    last month

Zara has some really pretty dresses and sweaters -- I havent shopped there in ages because honestly, as striking as the website photos are, I find it really difficult to use/scroll through while shopping.

I loooove this dress but it doesnt come large enough for me (I think L is the largest size).

This one could possibly fit -- but I don't really have an occasion to wear it. Still I think it is fun and pretty!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    last month

Use the belt it came with bow it in the back! A sales rep fron WHBM recommended I do that with dress I was trying on.

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last month

You could also try a long skinny scarf / belt.

Kswl thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • maire_cate
    last month

I like the self belt. It's a little difficult to see the shoes on my iPhone.

Kswl thanked maire_cate
  • eld6161
    last month

Do you have a small wedge shoe?

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • tuesday_2008
    last month

Late to the vote, but iI love the skinny black belt with gold buckle (first picture, second row). Emphasizes your pretty waist😜. Very pretty dress….looks comfy.

Kswl thanked tuesday_2008
  • happy2b…gw
    last month

I love the dress. You look lovely, as usual. Which shoes and belt did you settle on?

Kswl thanked happy2b…gw
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for these replies and suggestions, the fact that there were so many different likes reinforced my feeling that there wasn’t really that much difference between them!

I ended up with the red belt and shoes; we have our SIL and two grandkids for a long weekend (he was out of town last week so she’s getting a well-deserved break) and in the tumult I missed the Stations.

A friend came up to me at coffee hour after church and complimented my dress — and was surprised when I told her it was Zara. It is 100% comfortable and the fabric is a perfect spring / summer weight.

Nora, with respect to Zara‘s online shopping experience, I agree with Funky that the scrolling function of their website can be problematic on a mobile device. I would recommend using a laptop if possible, especially if you get frustrated with site navigation glitches. That said, they have a tremendous range of clothing and while some is certainly the epitome of “fast fashion” there are classics as well— blazers, slacks, blouses and coats. How well each garment is made varies greatly, but as long as you’re prepared to promptly return anything that doesn’t fit or you don’t love, you’re not stuck with subpar merchandise.

I returned several items and the process was very easy. I received goods within seven business days and refunds were made promptly on returned items.

Since I bought the dress I also bought something rather surprising on another ”fast fashion” website: Uniqlo. . My old trench coat l was lookjng very shabby and there was a lingering faint stain of some food that had somehow made its way onto the front. When I first started searching I saw a picture of the Uniqlo coat. It was exactly what I wanted, the right color, length and fit. It was also part of a collaboration between Givenchy designer Clare Waight Keller and Uniqlo. Beautifully designed and with nice tailoring, and it was only $139! I ordered it immediately, as one thing you have to know about those sites is that they don’t necessarily restock, so when an item is gone it’s really gone. Zara has done collaborations with different designers as well as H&M, and I would say that generally speaking those pieces are noticeably better quality than the standard merchandise.

• Nora Lambert
    last month

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel more confident in ordering from them now.

Kswl thanked Nora Lambert
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Moot now but bottom left!

Kswl thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • chickadee2_gw
    last month

Pretty dress and you look great in it. It looks so comfortable too.

When I was looking for sweaters the other day, I came across this one and thought of you. It’s reversible so you’d get the benefit of a pink or a charcoal grey background. It also comes in blue.

https://www.solalpaca.com/collections/sol-alpaca-women-clothing/products/the-herd-basic-baby-alpaca-cardigan

Kswl thanked chickadee2_gw
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

That is a beautiful sweater, Chickadee! I’ve just ordered something similar from Boden…. great minds thinking alike??

Eld I am going to try the belt tied as a sash behind the waist, what a cute idea! And, sadly, I have no wedge heels at all. I wear heels infrequently but IF I was to purchase a pair of wedges they would probably be summery espadrilles that could work with the dress and a straw bag.

• HU-163897337
    last month

Cute dress! I think a shoe with a bit of a heel would be more flattering with that length.

Kswl thanked HU-163897337