Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breanna_schug

Kitchen Layout Question

Breanna S
last month

Does anyone have a similar kitchen layout they’d be willing to show! Any suggestions?

Comments (39)

• rebunky
    last month

I have several suggestions, but first we will need a bit more info.

Is this you existing kitchen layout?

Or is the the new layout proposed by a kitchen designer or a cabinets salesperson?

Is this a kitchen remodel or new build?

one thing i will mention…

Corner Seats

• Keep in mind that two seats cannot overlap at a corner – two people cannot share the same leg/knee space!

Here's an example to demonstrate how seating can be handled if there are seats on adjacent sides:

The thread below has a ton of information. The is athread that explains all the info we need to help you with your kitchen layout.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim#n=11

• PRO
    Zumi
    last month

Overcrowded. Not good.

• anj_p
    last month

Insufficient prep discuss next to the sink. Get rid of corner pantry and do a larder pantry on the other side of the fridge. Move fridge closer to range. Looks like it would be better as a G shaped kitchen with a peninsula instead of an island.

• anj_p
    last month

And you can't have someone sitting at an island where there's a dishwasher.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Lose the dumb pantry, and four stools do not fit on seven feet

• Deanna
    last month

As pointed out there’s too many stools for that size of an island 3 would be the max amount that would work. Also it seems to be very popular now to have a sink in a 6-7 foot island. I would evaluate how you do dishes and if there is a dish rack that is needed and if dishes/prep cleanup are often by your sink which makes the island crowded and busy especially if there’s room for eating/stools. I don’t like drying dishes so I often have numerous reusable plastic containers that are air drying beside my sink that I wouldn’t want on full display. Personally wouldn’t put a sink on an island unless I had one around 10-12 feet.
    The area by the sliding door and dining table would be good if there was at least 48” there if you will be using that door frequently. You may have to shorten your kitchen a bit to move the dining table over. Also if a new build the window placement on the side wall maybe move if you want it centered with dining table and pay attention to where your dining light is placed too so it is centered with table and not necessarily the room. There’s more options of layouts if you aren’t set on having an island or sink on island.

• Theresa Peterson
    last month
    last modified: last month

I see a lot of good here:

- The dining room will have lots of light.

- It's a nice-sized kitchen. Not bloated, not tiny.

- It's a simple lay-out, and you've eliminated the always-difficult corner cabinet.

- You have a large, single-bowl sink.

But I also see a number of things that could be improved:

- A 5' working aisle is too wide. I've lived with that spacing in a galley kitchen, and the two aisles are about one step too far apart to "play nicely". Go to Lowes and check out the space in their sample kitchens (spoiler alert: it's 3 1/2') and work from that point.

- Do you really need two eating areas (large enough to seat the whole family) literally within reach of one another? I'd get rid of the stools altogether /have storage on the back side of the island.

- A lot of people will say the corner pantry is B-A-D, bad. In this particular layout, I say eh. In general they're a bad idea, but in your layout you have the refrigerator and two storage areas beyond the pantry. You're going to do your real work between the island and the range. If you see the refrigerator's two flanking cabinets as "away space" ... space for the coffee pot, the cake under a dome, the bowl of fruit, then this could work.

- Your pantry door is only 30". This is small. In some kitchens opening the pantry door will block traffic ... in this case, people have ample space to walk around the other side of the island to reach the refrigerator.

And questions:

- Is the sliding door by your table the only back yard access? Note that people will have trouble scooting by while others are seated at the table ... like when you have a big family dinner, and the kids want to go out back while the adults are still sitting at the table.

- What's your pathway for bringing groceries in? Where will you set /sort them before moving them into the pantry?

- Where's your trash can? Your recylcing? What's your pathway for taking trash outside?

- Where's your microwave?

- Where's your fire extinguisher?

- Is your silverware conveniently located to the table and the range?

- Do you have a cabinet for glassware next to the refrigerator?

- How do you typically serve dinner? Do you plate the food at the range and deliver plates to the table, or do people serve themselves from the range, or do you transfer food to platters and bowls for the table? Think through how this'll work in this arrangement.

- How do you typically serve when you have company? Where would you set out drinks? Where would you set out desserts?

• anj_p
    last month

3.5' is the bare minimum for an aisle. 4' is recommended. I have 4' in a similar sink/range layout (except my island is 10' so I prep next to the sink) and could use a bit more.

The size of the island basically ensures that you will have to do prep on the back wall.

The location of the pantry is bad for two reasons:

1. Grazers will come through the kitchen work zone to get snacks. Moving the pantry to the other side of the fridge gets it out of the work zone (typically fridges are accessed more frequently in cooking than pantries are).

2. Your prep space is on the back wall since the island is too small for prep, which means you now have a huge obstacle in the between the landing space for the fridge and your prep space. It's much easier to slide things along a counter than grab them and move them. Unless you are a crazy neat freak that space adjacent to your sink will likely not serve as landing space for your fridge - and you can't prep there anyway so it means moving stuff to the counter next to the fridge, then picking it up and moving it next to the range.

If you don't change the layout, I would add a prep sink on the back wall. And definitely nix the corner pantry. If you drink a lot of prepackaged beverages, consider a beverage fridge either near the dining room or at the end of the fridge cabinet run.

Also note the 4' aisle in front of the fridge may be too narrow depending on your fridge. Ours is 53" to the counter, but our fridge sticks out enough to make the actual aisle more like 48". It feels tight. If you keep this aisle and can afford a built-in fridge, consider doing that. Definitely get counter depth if not.

• Hannah
    last month

I might switch the layout around a bit. Get rid of the corner pantry. Assuming the range wall is exterior, I would put the main sink (and a window) on that wall. Rotate the island 90 degrees and put the fridge and range on the bottom (interior wall). I would then add a prep sink to the island. The island doesn't seem large enough for a sink and dishwasher. This would give you two really great prep areas and a dedicated clean up area (near the table).

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

I never wanted chairs on both sides of the island, that’s just how our Architect put them. Here’s the revised kitchen plan. The island is now extended to be the same length as the counter and we added 6 inches to the width.

• anj_p
    last month

All of my same comments apply. Except you now might be crowding your dining table. You should have 3.5 -4 feet from the table to the island for a comfortable walkway. Same to the sliders.

• kandrewspa
    last month

The chairs next to the slider look very tight. How much space is there? How much will you use those doors? If the answer is a lot when the weather is nice, the table is definitely too close to them. Our previous house had the kitchen table close to the wall like this and when we put on an addition we bumped it out three feet - made a huge difference. The primary reason for the addition wasn't to increase the size of the kitchen eating area, but we still included this modification for liveability. If this is a new build you have a chance to do it right the first time. If you don't really need a table to seat ten people maybe a smaller table would make this work better.

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

The architect just has a gigantic table there, we will probably only have a table that seats 6 in that space.

• anj_p
    last month

Table widths are generally the same and that is the bigger issue, not the length. If he's not drawing furniture to the correct size have him do it and provide clearances.

You've gotten a lot of feedback on your kitchen. What you have now isn't great.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

If the overall of the room is 24ft, the rough math would be: 24 ft - 4ft ( space to access slider ) - 3ft table - 4 ft walking space - 2 ft cabinets/ ref - 4ft space in front of ref ( some use for deeper ref?) = 7ft left for island. these are rough and can be slightly changed, but it gives you a good start. I would look into a more square island maybe 6 1/2 x 5 - seats on 2 sides, no sink.

Is this the only way outside? That factors into how close you can put the table to the sliders which then translates to walking spaces for the rest of the kitchen.

It's tricky.

Architects aren't always good kitchen designers. Are you working with one? They should be helping you with these things as well.

Personally - not a fan of the corner pantry - on paper it looks good but visually it cuts up the kitchen. I don't care for a sink on an island ( I'm messy ) .

Bright side - this will be a nice space to entertain and it looks like it will be bright and open.

Good luck

• AnnKH
    last month

The problem with the corner pantry in this case is that it eliminates a LOT of counter space. The counters next to the fridge (in the original) are OK as a landing spot or perhaps a coffee station, but not much else.

Jan's plan provides continuous counter space, and just as much pantry storage, in a way that makes the pantry more accessible. If you don't want to pay for pantry cabinets, you can put in a reach-in pantry in the same location.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last month

I know people reflexively don't like corner pantries, but I actually think you have enough counter space in your first plan. I would not lengthen the island to 8 ft. since it squeezes the chairs at the dining table, but I would slide the refrigerator next to the corner pantry to make it closer to the work zone and also provide a longer uninterrupted counter.

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

We actually moved the refrigerator away from the pantry because when you open the fridge door it hits the pantry wall.

• anj_p
    last month

Uninterrupted counter on the other side of the fridge is pretty much useless. You still have a landing space and prep space problem and a big obstacle in the form of a corner pantry in the middle of it. Seems like you really want that corner pantry though. If you don't actually cook much it won't be a problem. If you do it will just make your kitchen less functional. Pick what's important I guess.

• Buehl
    last month

Where do the doors/doorways lead? There appear to be two:

• "Below" the Kitchen -- does it lead to the Family Room?
    • The door to the right of the table (unless that's a window)?

Which walls are exterior? It looks like the top (with the slider) and, possibly, the right walls. I'm basing that on how thick the walls appear in your layout. Exterior walls are generally thicker than interior walls. (Exterior at least 6"; Interior 4.5")

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

This is the main level.

• Buehl
    last month

I'm not against corner pantries as a rule; in fact, I have one. However, the placement of yours is makes it an issue. It's plopped in the middle of the Kitchen. Full-height, full-depth items should not be separating major items in the Kitchen. In your case, it's b/w the range and the refrigerator.

In my case, the pantry is just outside the Kitchen so it's easily accessed but it's not b/w major items (or any items, for that matter).

The corner pantry is on the far right - notice how it is not an obstacle b/w any items in the Kitchen.

My pantry is about the same size as yours and I find it too small. (I lost a couple of feet due to my KD's (many) measuring errors and rather than re-order cabinets to fit, I decided to make the pantry smaller to accommodate the cabinets.)

FYI...I'm working up a layout for you right now.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last month

When I say next to the pantry, I don't mean touching it. Obviously there needs to be space enough for the fridge door to fully open. Mine is one inch away and opens fine.

• Buehl
    last month

Here's one idea. The range is moved to the other wall, the sink is moved to the perimeter (where the range used to be), a window is added to over the sink, and the island is turned 90 degrees to free up space b/w the Dining Room seating and the island seating.

• There should also be at least 48" b/w the sliding door and the table. I recommend the door open from the "bottom" wall so people will naturally go b/w the wall and table to get to the door rather than b/w the table & island and over.
    • With seating back-to-back, there should be at least 60" b/w the table and island -- this has 72".
    • Workspace is now located where it's needed/useful -- there's no wasted workspace.
    • Two or three people can easily work in this Kitchen and it also works very well for one person.
    • For counter-height seating, the seating overhang should be a minimum of 15" clear leg/knee space and each seat should have a minimum of 24" of linear space.
    • Corner pantry is replaced with three 18" tall pullout pantries.

Island with one seat on the short side. This is actually a better configuration b/c it's easier for people to visit with one another when not sitting like ducks in a row. It also gives the three seats along the long side a bit more space.

Work Zones are unchanged.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

No offense, but a CORNER pantry is quite dated in kitchen design.

You have more right here in pantry storage, than your corner. and a fridge that lines up in an aisle

• Hannah
    last month

Great minds think alike! I like Buehl's idea -- it seems very functional. One thought -- the garbage placement -- not sure who is in your house, but if you have kiddos I wonder about them needing to throw something away while you're cooking (they would be walking right through the prep zone). You might consider moving it to the perimeter?

I also really like your whole house floor plan. What's the view out the back? If that's the main way to the back yard, the only pinch point might be getting outside through the slider (behind the table). Not sure how to solve (it seems like all houses have this slider by the dining room going on).

• Christine Smith
    last month

Agree with Buehl. In process of a new vacation build and his plan is almost identical to mine.

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

Does anyone have a picture of a kitchen like this completed? I just feel like there’s no focal point because nothing is centered really?

• anj_p
    last month

https://www.hansonbuilders.com/property-list/14506-kingsview-lane-n

Your floorplan is very similar to my neighbor's house. See the link above.

ETA: focal points aren't created by geometry.

• AnnKH
    last month

Buehl's layout is not only beautifully functional, it also gives you a window in the kitchen, which is a great improvement all by itself. That window is your focal point.

• Buehl
    last month

"I just feel like there’s no focal point because nothing is centered really?"

Are you more worried about looks or function?

Regarding trash pullout location -- it will be used far more & for a longer period of time while prepping and cooking than any other time, and that includes cleaning up and the occasional other use by people wandering by. The trash is located so that it's in the Prep Zone and near the Cooking & Cleanup Zones. If an outsider (i.e., non-Kitchen worker) wants to use the trash, they can go around the island and approach it from the non-Prep Zone side.

My biggest regret in my Kitchen is that I went with the prevailing wisdom at the time to put it next to the cleanup sink in my Cleanup Zone. I use it far more when prepping & cooking so now I have to take trash & recyclables across a 7' aisle, sometimes dripping, to get to the trash. It's a major annoyance and still bothers me almost 14 years later! Even when our kids were all home, I still used it far more & longer!

• Kendrah
    last month

Instead of a focal point I'd think about visual cohesion. (Of course, all secondary to function.) What bothers me about the linked builder's kitchen is the lack of visual organization. That angled pantry door really chops up the space and makes it feel smaller because it pushes into the space rather than being a corner countertop and cabinets that recedes from the center of the room and opens up more floor space.

I also find sinks in island busy looking. I like all of the activity on the edges and the island for worktop and seating.

Lastly, will you have a kitchen designer working with you on actual cabinetry selection and layout?

• drdeb1234
    last month

Looking at the whole house design (which I am usually terrible at making much sense of), it seems you have to walk THROUGH the bathroom and RIGHT PAST the toilet to get to the closet. That doesn’t seem like a great idea to me!!!

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, we will be having a kitchen designer to help us with cabinet choices!

• vinmarks
    last month

I like Buehl’s layout and I like where the trash is. I have it that way in my kitchen and it is very functional in that spot so it can be accessed for prep and clean up.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Centering/symmetry have nothing to do with focal points. You're looking a a top view floor plan of your space. That gives you no sense of what this space will look like at all. It gives you dimensions and spacing. Your kitchen designer will put the plan into their design program ( if they are good they will put the living room in as well ) so you can see the whole space in 3D.

Your initial focal points are the windows/sliders - the eye is always drawn to a light source.

After that, you can choose what will be a focal point - ie the fireplace, the island, a hood? But you can't have a whole lot of "focal points" other wise it is too much.

Here is the picture Kendrah posted above:

The only symmetry here is around the hood and that has more to do with the structure of the space than anything else. The hood is simple and blends nicely into the design. The corner pantry with the ref location seem to really chop up the kitchen and make it look smaller than it really is.

But this is just my opinion.

Once you are working with your designer they can show you this sort of view so you can see if you like it or not - they are not there just to help you pick out cabinets.

Best of luck!

• Breanna S
    Original Author
    last month

That helped me to visualize it a lot, thank you!

• Buehl
    last month

Wide & deep pantry cabinets (>18"W x 24"D) are not very functional above about chest high. It doesn't matter what type of shelves you have (stationary or roll out tray shelves (ROTS)), it will still be difficult to see & access items on those higher shelves. Those fancy swing outs you sometimes see take up a lot of space that would be better used for storage. Some are even like a puzzle box - you have to open/close the various parts in a specific order. And, those swing outs are expensive!

18"W x 24"D pullout pantry cabinets, on the other hand, are functional. The shelves pull out with the doors and you can see everything by sweeping your eyes up/down first at one side and then the other. All of the shelves are outside the cabinet and all items are visible. No rooting around trying to find things in the "middle" of the wide shelves or moving things around to get to those same items.