Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_p57

Do vinyl windows last over the long term in Florida?

Tony P
last month

It’s time for replacement windows on my home in Florida. They currently have the original builder’s aluminum single pane jobs from 1997. I’ve been researching and have already learned much about DP ratings, AI ratings, and things like that. But I’ve wondered about whether it’s wise to consider a vinyl window option given the conditions down here.

I ask because in my previous home, in New Jersey, in 2012 I had my back porch enclosed and had installed what were at three time supposed to be very good vinyl windows. I think I paid $600 apiece for them and there were maybe 26”x40-something”. Now my house was in a heavily wooded area and only got direct sunlight around the back porch for a small part of the day. Inside of three years those windows all developed that “smile warp” for the little sunlight and heat that they saw.

So I guess I’m concerned if over 20 years or so a vinyl window solution in Florida could stand up to the heat and (for this new house down here) direct sun. Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last month

A quality unit will have the appropriate UV stabilizers in and and will last 20+ years. Without more data on how the windows in NJ were installed or who's they were, tough to say why they smiled on you.

• Tony P
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, I guess the unknowns were definitely a factor there. Any suggestions on what I’ll need to ask in this regard if I happen to consider vinyl window alternatives down this way?

• millworkman
    last month

Do you need hurricane impact windows in the Florida home?

• Tony P
    Original Author
    last month

I’m in Central Florida in the Northeastern most point in unincorporated Apopka, bordering Wekiva State Park (if that helps). No one in this area that I know of has impact windows. I haven’t been here too long so I wasn’t here during Irma. I do know that when Irma came through it tore up the shingles some on this house. The owners at that time had the roof replaced. This is what I found online about the history of this area.

There have been 243 recorded wind events in Orange County. The most severe event was Donna, which occurred in 1960.
    It was recorded as a category 4 with 1-min sustained wind speeds up to 144 mph and 3-second wind gusts up to 184 mph.

If an exceedingly rare windstorm (a 1-in-3,000 year storm event) occurred today, it could cause wind gusts of up to 164 mph to reach Apopka. A hurricane of this severity has a 1% chance of occurring at least once over the next 30 years. In 30 years, an event of this same likelihood would show increased wind gusts of up to 178 mph due to a changing environment.

However, when Irma came through here the highest sustained wind gusts were 79 mph in Orange County and 91 mph at the top of Disney Tower.

I called my insurance company and (if I believe them) they said that depending on the sizes of the windows, they’d have to meet a wind speed of 133, Zone 4 (not quite sure what the Zone means), and depending on the size of the window rated anywhere from DP +30 / -30 to DP +50 / -50. But they didn’t say they had to be impact rated windows.

• millworkman
    last month
    last modified: last month

" they’d have to meet a wind speed of 133, Zone 4 (not quite sure what the Zone means), and depending on the size of the window rated anywhere from DP +30 / -30 to DP +50 / -50. But they didn’t say they had to be impact rated windows. "

133 mph wind speed is and will definitely require impact rated windows. This will somewhat limit the brands available and definitely pump up the price. Look at PGT as they are the largest and most widely used in Florida. Avoid the private label, "locally" made windows for best results long term.

• Tony P
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks. I wonder then how my neighbor got non impact Renewal By Andersen installed?

• millworkman
    last month

" I wonder then how my neighbor got non impact Renewal By Andersen installed? "

No idea. But he might want to be sure his home is covered if there is a hurricane as it very well may not be.

• Tony P
    Original Author
    last month

@millworkman, I did more research on the Orange County permit website and spoke to the residential building codes guy. My part of Orange County is not in a Wind Debris rated area, and as such according to the Florida codes I am not required to have impact rated windows. As long as the selected windows meet the wind speed ratings mentioned above I will meet the permitting requirements.

• William Rossman
    last month

its a known fact that alligators dont like the taste of vinyl windows. So yes, they will last in Florida.