Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_142622082

Is anyone traveling to or going to watch the total solar eclipse

rob333
last month
last modified: last month

Last time, I was in the path of 100% totality of coverage. It was cool. My boss is stopping in a city close by. Everybody at lunch today was talking about where they were traveling to watch it. We're all over the age of 55, so this is the last in our lifetime in North America.

Are you in the path? Are you traveling to the path of totality?

Comments (37)

• User
    last month

Oh, I would love to go! Newfoundland is a wonderful place to visit and I really enjoy road trips. Unfortunately, I can’t go.

My husband and I travelled to Jay-Em, Wyoming in 2017 for that solar eclipse. It was so much fun and a just a a lovely trip. There was about 3 minutes of totality.

• roxanna
    last month

I'll get a partial eclipse here, they say, weather permitting. Decades ago, there was one of those where I lived and the coolest thing to see was how the moon's shadow made every individual leaf on the maple tree show the effect in the leaf shadows on the ground. Magical!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

I saw the one in 2017 from the open field across the street. That's enough for me :-))

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

I'm actually trying to decide. Nashville is 94.7% totality. What they say is we're not going to get a dagam thing except for coverage of the sun. It's 100% or it doesn't matter. Which is why we're all traveling. We just did it a couple years ago so I'm not all that keen on doing it again.

Unless I can hang out with all y'all somewhere along the way!

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

No, it's not something that interests me.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last month

I was thinking of traveling to the center line to see this one but have decided to stay home this go round. It would have been my 5th TSE, the first one back in 1970 near Va Beach. This one looks to be good but I'd have to travel to either to Tx or Pa and I'm not up to it, nyuk. Anyone within 100 miles of totality should go for it, just depart your home real early to beat the crowds, the highways are always jammed packed along the line of totality. It's something you'll never forget.

• bpath
    last month

I just learned that Tom Skilling will be coming out of retirement to be part of WGN’s coverage in southern IL. My friend and her husband made their hotel reservations months ago. I might have gone had I known Tom would be there. Maybe.

• matthias_lang
    last month

Probably will. Not too far to drive. Baker Creek Heirloom Seed is near where I would view, so we might make a "twofer" out of the trip.

• hounds_x_two
    last month

Going with my family for a special long weekend! We are looking forward to the adventure.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last month

My house is just on the edge of the 100% path - I plan to drive about slightly over an hour northwest, into a very rural area, to get on the center line. IF the weather cooperates - April can be frequently stormy.

I drove down to southeast TN in 2017 (went that far to meet up with my cousin, originally planned to just go to southern KY) The spot where we were, Cades Cove, was in the most northern quarter of the totality path and didn't get super dark - more like dusk. So I hope for a better experience this year.

I bought several eclipse glasses in 2017 at the park after the event was over, and they were discounted, because I knew this one was coming.

• Jupidupi
    last month

NYC is supposed to get 90%. That's enough for me. I'll go up on our rooftop to watch. I splurged on two pairs of arty "viewing glasses." Kind of silly to spend money on something good for such a short time, but it was supposed to go to a help-the-earth charity.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

I know some people who are traveling to see it. It will be partial in our area. For the sake of others, I will not travel to see it as, if I do, the weather gods will make sure it's cloudy. Instead I'll enjoy their good time vicariously. Maybe sometime in the future I might get lucky enough to see one. I did see partial in 2017 when we were in ND.

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

I think the closest city to me is Louisville, which is an hour away. I'm not driving that far.

• blfenton
    last month

My son and his wife are flying from the west coast to the east coast to see it. They're going to Portugal a couple of days later for vacation so thought they would leave a few days earlier to see it.

• foodonastump
    last month

It’s funny I bought some glasses at HD the other day having no idea where it will be seen. Forgot about it until seeing jupidupi’s post. Is 90% worth looking up at? I do see that my son will be in the path, unfortunately we’ll be visiting him a week earlier. I’ll give him a pair.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

Don't forget about the pin hole option. Put a pin hole in one piece of paper/cardboard/cardstock and then use that to project it on another piece of paper...you'll see the progression without even having to look up, though the image will be upside down.

• marilyn_c
    last month

I think we will get some of it, but I can't think of anything that would draw me to any place crowded. For once I agree with Elmer....not interested. My daughter works for a company that sells all kinds of lenses, and she sent me a bunch of the special glasses. I have enough that I and all my dogs can watch.

• User
    last month

marilyn, I can understand that some people just aren’t interested. It’s not their thing. I totally understand that. But don’t think that you have to go to some place crowded.

You can go out into the country, away from cities and towns. That’s why we went to just outside of Jay-Em in 2017. Plus the roadtrip was fun.

Somewhere in Wyoming.

• Vada
    last month

It is on our way to Florida, so we plan to be in the 100% zone (Muncie, IN) area for the viewing. We were going that way any way, because we want to visit the OBX. It is a lucky coincidence.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

I sorta forgot about this!

I get not being interested in it. Especially since we just did it recently. Especially since I might have to drive somewhere, there might be crowds.

It's why I asked. But it is the last one in North America in our lifetime. Some of us. 🥰

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

Sorry you can't enjoy it. Many people are flying places. Even from here, a 94.7% totality range.

I thought you knew how to manage money, and could afford to. Though, if you were uninterested in attending by flying in, why did you post again?

Last word. As you typically do.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

" Last word. As you typically do. "

This childish prank fools no one.

My comment was motivated as a reply to your saying "as WE just did it recently". The majority of North Americans didn't just do this recently and more likely share my view about it than your view.

My financial situation has nothing to do with it, I can go and do what I want whenever I want and as often as I want. Is that another element of your jealousies?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

Still having the last word? Typical

• Lars
    last month

If my parents were still alive, I would probably go to Texas to visit them and see it, but they both died in 2012. Their farm is in the path of total eclipse in Bell County. Neighboring Coryell County with Mother Neff State Park is also directly in the path of full eclipse, and they are already preparing to declare a local disaster for the day of the eclipse.

Personally, I would rather avoid a local disaster, but I could easily drive to it from my parents' house. However, their house is no longer there, as my nephew sold it to someone who picked it up and moved it to a nearby lake, I believe Lake Whitney, where I used to go fishing with my father.

Waco, 35 miles north of where I was born, will be one of the best places to see the eclipse.

• jrb451
    last month

To the original question: Yes, we’re in the path of the eclipse, getting around 4 minutes and 20 seconds of totality. We did travel about 300 miles in 2017 to see the last one and our first. one. That one lasted 2 minutes and 16 seconds where we were. We consider ourselves fortunate to be able to walk out the back door and onto our terrace to view this one.

@vada, make sure you’re gassed up and have some food and beverage items on hand when you’re in the ”zone”. Those items can become quite scarce.

@Jupidupi, no comparison between the viewing experience of 90% and 100% totality.

• User
    last month

You actually need to take your glasses off during totality to see it. As soon as there is no portion of the sun visible take your glasses off, put them back on when even the slightest hint of the sun reappears. You’ll feel a change in temperature as well. Almost like entering a walk-in cooler.

eta ONLY DURING 100 PER CENT TOTALITY !!!

• katlan
    last month

DH, one of my sisters, her husband and I drove to northern GA (somewhere) in 2017 in their camper. My brother Mike, his wife, 2 of his kids, their spouses and grands drove up from the Atlanta area to meet us. We had cookout stuff, games, the glasses and plenty of alcohol (lol). Honest truth, 2 minutes before the eclipse a big cloud covered the sun in front of us. This is all we got 🤦‍♀️

• chisue
    last month

I don't remember the year, but the only eclipse I ever saw was in the spring, more than 25 years ago. Neither DH nor I were thinking about it, but an eclipse was already underway when we walked out of the shop in a garden center. It wasn't only dark, it got quite chilly, too. There was a hush -- birds and insects reacting, I suppose. It took my breath away, something I only realized when I began to breathe again as the sun was revealed. I was truly awed -- the more so for not having expected it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

It is pretty magical, and there's no way to replicate it.

I appreciate your words chisue

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

My daughter came over this afternoon for dinner. I asked her to pick up some milk along with way because I was making a carrot casserole that called for a white sauce and didn't want to use up all my milk. She stopped at Kroger and got the milk, and some solar glasses so we could go see the eclipse. lol. So, guess we are now going to see the ecplise, possibly in Indiana. I invited a friend who mentioned it several weeks ago, haven't heard back from her yet.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last month

Yesterday the Weather Channel was projecting their forecast map 2 weeks ahead and it looked fairly gloomy for most of the eclipse path other than in Texas. But they acknowledged that it's not chiseled into stone and things are in flux.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

thanks veggie. That helps!

• marilyn_c
    last month

Roxol, it isn't that I am not interested in the eclipse. I will watch what I can from where I live. It is just at my age (77) and all the animals I take care of, even a day trip is not something I look forward to. It is a hassle and I stay home now as much as possible. But I have plenty to do, and things I enjoy, so I am happy to do it.

• Cherryfizz
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I can just stay on my front porch to see the total solar eclipse but most likely I will end up forgetting to watch it. I remember when I was a kid, we were out shopping during a total eclipse and it got dark out as we walked through the parking lot and I remember my Mom yelling keep your head down, don't look up. Of course as a child you are tempted to do what your Mother told you not to.

• HU-929826674
    27 days ago

We are directly in the Texas path of the eclipse, so we are traveling out to our front yard, sitting down with our viewing eyeglasses and a glass of wine, and enjoying the eclipse. Husband has his filter for the camera, so if the clouds stay away, we'll have some excellent photos.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH