Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Scotland in Early June

Kswl
last month
last modified: last month

I’ll be watching the weather as our departure nears of course, but historical data says rainy and chilly. For this trip I’m looking at a wardrobe of black, white and camel, mostly because I will be singing and performance attire is all black so I’ll already have shoes and hair accessories, etc for that color.

We will only be gone 10 days but there will be no opportunity to send out laundry, so lots of clothes. My tentative list is:

3 pr slacks TBD

1 pleated black jersey skirt (to wear with leggings underneath)

4 turtleneck or mock neck tops

1 white no iron button up shirt

1 off white nice blouse I can wear with skirt if needed

1 v nice dress to wear for dinner out

3 pair white cotton leggings for pjs with 3 white cotton long sleeve knit shirts (I am usually freezing in hotels)

Black raincoat with hood OR khaki trench coat

one warm padded layer for underneath raincoat or to wear alone. This layer could be:

#1 ultralight down vest in white OR

#2 white collarless jacket OR

#3 same as above in camel

(do not have vest, do have both J Crew snap front jackets)

1 Adidas black and white sneakers

1 Birdies in black leather

1 ? booties in black? More walking shoes? Rothys?

1 shoes for fancy dress

2 scarves, 1 silk Hermes and 1 wool challis shawl, both incorporating white, black and camel with other colors.

1 umbrella

Robe and cotta, black shoes and socks

DH and I will share one 24” checked suitcase and I will have a carryon plus a black Longchamps tote. It’s a lot for 10 days I know.

Anything I am forgetting?

Comments (10)

• bpath
    last month

Having been to Yorkshire in August with the same weather, I’d say hooded raincoat.

Five pairs of shoes for 10 days? Can your concert shoes be your out-to-dinner shoes? Are you going on tours of sites as well as singing? Hiw much set-up do you need to do at venues? One pair of shoes should be fine for both.

How many hotels will you be staying in? Any opportunity to wash in the hotel sink (even if the hotel doesn’t like you to…)?

Undies? Socks? Slipper socks for the hotel room?

Kswl thanked bpath
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I will definitely be taking undies and socks 😁

Ideally performance shoes aren’t used for any other purpose so they won’t get wet, scuffed, etc. They’ll be black, not what I had in mind for fancy— however, if it’s really cold and rainy I will take a heavier camel knit dress instead of something lighter and the performance shoes might work. I usually take 3 shoes on any trip longer than a week, and with the performance pair that makes four. Not a crazy number— to me—although the packing light contingent may have an opinion about that. We will be on the move and will stay in four different hotels, highly unlikely anything washed by hand would dry before we were off to the next place.

Slipper socks, yes! Going on my list, thank you!

• sas95
    last month

I am a pack light person so my thoughts on clothing wouldn't be all that helpful to you. But I love Scotland! Where are you going?

Kswl thanked sas95
  • OutsidePlaying
    last month

Which parts of Scotland will you be travelling to? We were there in late August and Edinborough was lovely althoigh a bit chilly at night. The north, however was very windy and often had rain. Do you know where you will be staying? Hotels in major cities? Some in small remote areas do not have a/c.

I would definitely take a waterproof (or at least resistant) rain jacket and booties (worn on the plane as they will be your bulkiest shoe. Depending on where you will eat out, most people dress fairly casually, even at nicer restaurants. A sweater and skirt or slacks is fine. I love lightweight merino and maybe a cashmere thrown in. Add a merino hoodie for a layer. Take gloves just in case and do take or plan to buy a scarf. I would re-think the Birdies and Rothy shoes if they are not comfy for walking on cobblestones. That is if you plan to do any touring or walking about in the cities to lunch, dinner, etc.

After realizing that some of the even nicer 4-5 star hotels don’t have elevators, or enough, I am a believer in packing light. This is especially true in smaller towns.

Kswl thanked OutsidePlaying
  • roarah
    last month

Last time I was in Scotland in june I saw highs of 70s in Glasgow to highs of 28 and snow in Inverness. I would bring atleast one thick sweater to go under your rain coat.

It is a lovely country, enjoy!

Kswl thanked roarah
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

The last time I was in Scotkand was on an early spring trip in mid-March and it was freezing cold. And it was twenty years ago… during that time temps have trended upwards in early summer, so we’re expecting a low in the high 40’s at night high 60’s in daytime at best. Basically it’s the weather we are having in Georgia this week so I am taking note of what I need to wear here to be confortable, then mentally add in wind 🙂.

I’m going to try my thin padded jackets under the raincoat for warmth, Roarah. I don’t love taking sweaters because they can get shapeless after a couple of wears and are hard to dry flat if they get wet. If the jackets won’t fit under my raincoat I may buy the ultralight down vest to take.

Outside, I don’t actually own a hoodie .... for me that’s a fashion rubicon I have no plans to cross. I do have one sweatshirt but as a warm layer it’s not very practical. I may end up wearing a wool shawl under or over my raincoat.

Birdies are a more substantial shoe than a Rothy, good point about uneven surfaces. We aren’t doing much general sightseeing, mostly tours of historic churches. The main focus is the music. There won’t be any hiking or anything like that.

Good point about the hotels without elevators… when we get the accomodation list I will check their websites for that feature, thank you!

Allison, I may let DH take pants also😎

• Funkyart
    last month

Sounds like a great wardrobe for a great trip!

I had no idea it was soooo cold. It's in the mid 40s today and I am all bundled up and wrapped in a blanket lol.

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • bpath
    last month

If you will be walking and rehearsing in old churches, with worn, uneven steps and floors, you want a good sole and support. My church is modeled after old British churches with a brick floor, and I have learned to wear my favorite black shoes on, say, Palm Sunday and Easter. But, not one really sees my shoes, unlike a concert where they might.

Goodness, buy a great Scottish wool sweater or shawl while you’re there, don’t pack one!

Kswl thanked bpath
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Yoy’re so right Bpath… what am I thinking??? 😁