Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Easter question. Rain or shine?

The kids and grandkids (2-4) are coming for Easter and Pop Pop's BD. We have a ham ordered and DIL will bring tater salad.

If it's raining , it will be in our house, so we can do some hot things like asparagus or other veges. If it's a nice day, the kids want to have the whole thing at a park. Thoughts on sides that toddlers will like, we can serve cold and also are low carb? (hubby is prediabetic)

I'm kinda OCD when it comes to diet considerations, so when hubby was told he was prediabetic, I have gone mostly keto, but haven't gone over the top!

Just a few suggestions, don't need judgements! Thanks!

Comments (9)

• annie1992
    last month

So everyone is low carb, including the childen, not just your husband and you? Or do the kids get some "kid" foods and everyone else eats the low carb stuff?

In any event, you could make some "kabobs" out of fruit, meat and cheese. My grandkids love strawberries, you could put them on skewers with other fruit and have yogurt for dunking if they like that. (Mine would never eat yogurt, even the flavored stuff) If the kids get "kid" stuff, they could have fruit dip instead, the kind made with cream cheese and marshmallow cream or whatever it is. Devilled eggs are always here for Easter and raw vegetables with dip or a cheeseball would work, with crackers for the little ones. My girls liked a slice of deli turkey or ham, spread with the whipped cream cheese and wrapped around a steamed spear of asparagus or a pickle spear, it's easy to pack them in a cooler. Spring rolls made with lettuce wrappers can be made with all kinds of fillings from smoked fish to vegetables to ground chicken. Burrito/poke/whatever type bowls should also be pretty easy to do, pack the ingredients separately and let everyone make their own with ingredients they like.

Dessert? No clue. I dislike all artificial sweeteners and love carbs, LOL.

Have fun. The real point of family get togethers at holidays is to spend time with people you love. Food is necessary and can even be integral to those gatherings, but for me the primary and most important thing is the company of family.

Annie

• floraluk2
    last month

I'd keep it simple. Cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, pepper slices, a mixed green salad with the vinaigrette in a separate bottle to dress on site. Cheese cubes. Slices of egg tortilla or frittata. Cold sausages. Chicken drumsticks. All, other than the salad, can be eaten with fingers while up a tree or on a swing.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Another consideration is the small portions of food that toddlers do eat. Little things that aren't messy when eaten with the fingers are definitely a good choice, along with avoiding choking hazards.

My son always gobbled up apple slices sprinkled with a little cinnamon sugar.

• amylou321
    last month

Definitely NOT low carb but I notice when I cook for large events that involve very small children, they eat meat, cheese fruit and bread and that's it. In tiny portions. They are too busy having fun. Make some rolls and tell your hubby hands off!

I do keto off and on and it can be tough, but as long as there is SOMETHING to eat, not everything needs to fit into what I can eat. (no judgment here, just insight as someone who eats that way most of the time) If you're serving at home make some little cocktail weenies to go with the ham, kiddies (and I) love those and they are low carb. I have made a "faux-tato" salad using roasted cauliflower instead of potatoes. NOT as satisfying but still good. A cheese tray is always popular, cold and low carb. Devilled eggs for Easter are a must for sure.

• bbstx
    last month

DGS (7) is the world’s pickiest eater. He eats fruit (TONS of fruit), mac and cheese, PBJ, and ham sandwiches. When he was a toddler, he ate everything - butter beans, green beans, black-eyed peas, any kid of greens, sweet potatoes, shrimp, chicken, ham. And then, poof, he wouldn’t. So @plllog is right…kids tastes seem to change with the wind.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Well, ended up with a bit of everything! Vege tray, fruit tray, a HUGE ham (we'll be souping forever!), bean salad and the DIL who has recently been DXed with diabetes brought a potato salad! Younger daughter, who is still trying to loose baby weight brought , of all things, cinnamon rolls! I think I'm having salad tonight!

• plllog
    26 days ago

How was the weather? Did the toddlers eat welll? Maybe DIL and DD were doing the wishful thinking thing? If they can't have much favorite carbs, at least they can make them for those who can? I went to a garden party today, which was forecasted as thunder showers. They put a tarp down over the lawn ahead of the downpours, and by lunchtime, the grass was dry and they could set up the canopies and tables. And while there were some clouds and chill winds, it remained sunny. Apparently, the hostess is a weather witch!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    24 days ago

The weather was beautiful! 74*! We chowed down then went to a great park! Hubby and I didn't eat the cinnimon rolls! Went light on the tater salad. Had plenty of veges. The twins, at 3 1/2 have gone fussy! Silly hubby ordered a 14 LB ham, which I have now vac/frozen for future soups/beans! We're probably good for the year!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County