Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martar

what color/type of tile should we use next to 70s slate?

Our home was built in the mid 1970s, but the owners built it like a German Chalet, so it’s not mid century modern or typical 70s style. In our entry areas (front and side, we have that 50s-70s slate tile (pictured). We are about to remodel a multipurpose 150 sqft bath/laundry/mud room whose flooring meets up with this slate flooring. I’m trying to decide what tile we should put in this room that won’t look bad against the slate. I’ve thought just going with gray slate-like, something terracotta like, and also considered a few others. I’m probably overthinking it, but would love your suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month

There are some porcelain slates that are the same color as the darkest tile in your picture that might work. It looks like it might be Montauk Blue. Will you post a picture of where you will be installing the new floor?

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Option A: Is more of the slate available locally? Sometimes it's a local specialty, sometimes it's long gone.

Option B: take your photo to the local tile store and pick up some samples of plain tiles that more or less match the main slate color. There may be slightly speckled tiles in the same color. Bring home some samples and see how they look. Repeat until you find what looks good. You may end up preferring a tile that is the color of the slate's accent pieces instead of the dominant color.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

do you want to continue the dark look? or are you trying to transition away from this look?

I would go with a crisp white, or even a wood look tile.

• Marlene Hutchison
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all! My preference would be to skip the grey and go with something else if I can get away with it. I’ve gone and looked at lots of tile, but keep struggling with what feels right. I’m also trying to do this room on a tight budget. Here are two options I was contemplating, but not sure either feels right. Orange tile is only online pic right now as I couldn’t find something in stock locally

• Kendrah
    last month

I'd go with slate. It will look best. I don't think the orange or marble are cutting it at all. We just put a slate like ceramic tile in our laundry room.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Do you have a saddle and door between these spaces? If so, then I don't think you need to match, just compliment. I would do a pale sage green floor or maybe a pattern?

You could also consider a luxury vinyl floor as well.

Good luck!

• kandrewspa
    last month

If you do a wood look tile it should be a lot darker than what you're showing. But I would look for slate look in a blue-gray that matches the existing. It's great for hiding dirt and goes with SS or white laundry appliances.

• palimpsest
    last month

I agree with Kendrah, do something like that, a very plain gray

Maybe something like Crossville Tile Civilization, in the Legality colorway:

https://www.crossvilleinc.com/Products/Civilization/Legality

• Marlene Hutchison
    Original Author
    last month

Well, it certainly seems like the consensus is to go dark grey. I appreciate all of the input including specific tile links. Let me go buy a few and see if I can get on board with the dark.

• PRO
    Cicinato Home Services
    last month

Have you considered something other than tile or slate? It's expensive and it's a lot of added weight on the subfloor, maybe consider a floating vinyl plank? Its not as costly as a tile install and it's a much faster and much less evasive process for your home.

• la_la Girl
    last month

not to highjack the thread but @Kendrah would you please share your laundry room tile? Been having a hard time finding something so low key and classic :)

• blfenton
    last month

What about a dark blue or navy. It looks like there is blue in the slate.

• Paul F.
    last month

That slate color still exists. You could just but up large scale tiles of it and put a wet look sealer on it.

• deegw
    last month

I want to add a little warning about natural slate. You probably won't be able to get the same quality natural slate as the original floors off the rack at Home Depot. What's available at HD is likely to be a lesser-quality slate from China. DH put a natural slate floor from HD in our laundry room and he said never again. It was fragile and flaky.