Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_529485884

Lightening SW Agreeable Gray by 50%??

K O
last month

Looking at lightening SW Agreeable Gray by 50% so it’s not so dark OR should I buy a lighter color that is naturally lighter? I have read that lightening paint can mess with it… if I should buy another color, what would you suggest? This is for the exterior of a south Florida home… looking at SW Pure White for trim… would love your thoughts/ideas???

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month
    last modified: last month

I often lighten colors to work. But I always get a sample can to test how it changes the color.

• kandrewspa
    last month

I have also cut colors by 50% to get what I was looking for, but I think the results are more predictable with colors like blue and green instead of neutrals. Before you go down that road, look at City Loft, Drift of Mist, Eider White, Aesthetic White or Egret White. Agreeable Gray has a LRV of 60. The options I just listed are in the low 70's. Ten points in LRV makes a noticeable difference. The ones with "white" in their name are off whites.

• Marylee H
    29 days ago

There’s no need to mess around with formulas, as you suspected.

You can compare these related colours in detail, by their objectively measured colour attributes of Hue Family, Value, Chroma, LRV, at The Land of Color.

Then you can pull paint chips for a visual comparison and to see how they render in context of your space, your lighting, before investing in gallons.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Why gray at all? : )

What are the furnishings, the flooring? Gray is not the only wall color.

If you want a kiss of it, and the color of atmosphere? A chameleon of fail safe?

Cut Ben Moore "Wish" AF 680 to 50 % of the formula and roll. It goes with everything, is gorgeous with white trim. Has the bonus of not looking like every other house on your block. I've only used about 9000 gallons : )

I don't use S.W so can't help you there.

It's here......

Interior Design Work · More Info

Interior Design Work · More Info

Full strength below........

lake home · More Info

lake home · More Info

• Sigrid
    29 days ago

Get a sample of the paint you are thinking of using, paint a big piece of cardboard with it, in as many coats as you were planning to apply and evaluate it in different light.

• anj_p
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Might be kind of tricky for an exterior to get it all to match since you'll need a lot of paint. We have drift of mist walls (inside) and they are just barely different from Pure white, which is our trim. Outside I feel like it might even wash out and look white. Google agreeable gray exteriors and you will see what it looks like. Especially in sunny south florida. I don't think you'd need to cut it at all but if you want it lighter just go white.

https://welshdesignstudio.com/sherwin-williams-agreeable-gray/