Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

What to do with all these *$%&* peeps

Feathers11
last month

My adult kids still receive special packages from their grandmother. The gifts are always very much appreciated, but they often contain sugary foods, which my kids avoid.

Yesterday, they dropped off 80 Peeps from Grandma. (sigh)

None of us will mind if the Peeps end up in the garbage. But I would like to incorporate a few of them into an Easter dessert. Besides the obvious (s'mores and rice krispy treats), does anyone have a creative dessert involving these sugar bombs?

Comments (50)

• porkandham
    last month

You could make topiaries for your Easter dinner table.

Feathers11 thanked porkandham
  • bpath
    last month
    last modified: last month

Peep-oramas

Maybe this one is better. Another peeporama

Feathers11 thanked bpath
  • arcy_gw
    last month

I'm still using them in my cocoa a year later!! hahahahahha Hey someone was asking about sweet potato casserole for Easter.. Peeps would work too!!!

Feathers11 thanked arcy_gw
  • teeda
    last month

If they're unopened could you donate them to a food pantry? I imagine a family with kids would love them!

Feathers11 thanked teeda
  • lakeaffect_gw
    last month

And there's always the option to donate to a human services agency with a domestic violence or teen shelter, they are always doing seasonal activities and arranging snacks for the residents.

Feathers11 thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • Feathers11 thanked deegw
  • arcy_gw
    last month

Make a trifle and line the glass with them!!

• Feathers11
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm fundamentally opposed to donating them, and a family craft wouldn't get any further than myself. (Although I'll save that idea should Grandma become Great Grandma someday, and I need something to do with them with grandkids!)

The centerpieces are a great idea--I hadn't thought of that, and will explore this idea.

• bpath
    last month

It’s adorable, but my teeth hurt just looking at the trifle.

Feathers11 thanked bpath
  • deegw
    last month

My peep-crazy daughter used to make Easter smores. She'd put a peep and a chocolate egg between two graham crackers and then pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Peeps are cute but too sweet for me.

Feathers11 thanked deegw
  • maddielee
    last month

Maybe a good time to tell grandmother that the peeps (and other sweets) could be eliminated in future gifts?

Feathers11 thanked maddielee
  • jill302
    last month

Good luck with your Peeps, the trifle looks fun, although quite sweet.

Peeps have always been a staple in our Easter since marrying my DH. My MIL (87) is from PA and grew up loving Peeps. We have a few Peep throw pillows and serve Peeps on our desert table along with other dessert options. We have made Peep s'mores with left overs too. Thankfully we have never been gifted 80+ Peeps.

My MIL's sister (85) who also grew up with Peeps does not like them at all, it is too funny every Easter she makes some negative comment about the Peeps, along with a big sigh signifying that it is just "too much horror". Must be some Peep related trauma there, she is not that way about any thing else. Just makes us laugh.

Feathers11 thanked jill302
  • Feathers11
    Original Author
    last month

"Peep related trauma"--lol. Yes, people either love or hate them, it seems.

Maddieless, yes, it's been discussed among the siblings to ask Grandma to stop sending sweets. She has several grandchildren around the country of various ages (there is a 20+ age difference between the oldest and the youngest), and sugar is her love language. My kids still take part more for her enjoyment.

• Sueb20
    last month

I am a secret lover of peeps. Send them to me.

Feathers11 thanked Sueb20
  • Jilly
    last month

Confession: I have never, ever tasted a peep.

I feel the need to now, for research purposes.

Do the colors indicate different flavors, or do they all taste the same?

Feathers11 thanked Jilly
  • daki
    last month

Scientific experiments?

Ancient web site, circa 1998 or so, what is described is …not ideal for kids, but still funny (I knew the guys that did this)

http://www.peepresearch.org

Feathers11 thanked daki
  • hhireno
    last month

Jilly, the OG basic peeps all taste alike, regardless of the color or shape. Over the years, they have been adding various flavored ones. I live in Bethlehem, home of Just Born.

I used to eat OG peeps, only if slightly stale. I’d leave the package opened for a few days, some people freeze them to get them crunchy.

I stopped eating them (20 years ago?) but my MIL still buys them for us (one pack for each of us, nothing crazy like 80!) at Xmas & Easter. I am gracious and say ”Peeps, thank you!” and then my husband brings them into his office to unload them. He recently retired, IDK how we’ll get rid of them now. Sueb, send me your address.

His office used to have a diorama contest using peeps. I created a basketball game and was robbed, robbed I tell you, of the top prize. I‘m still bitter, I’m glad he retired.

Feathers11 thanked hhireno
  • Bunny
    last month

Jilly, me either.

Feathers11 thanked Bunny
  • lakeaffect_gw
    last month

You’re “fundamentlly opposed to donating“ them because you don’t want to set a good example for your children? You love wasting food? Don’t want to donate nutrition free crap to families who need a little joy in their lives? Feel they ought to get a job and buy their own GD peeps? I’m frankly surprised, feathers, you didn’t strike me as someone who would not see the value in an indulgence for people living in a DV shelter because their world imploded.

Feathers11 thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • Fun2BHere
    last month

@daki, That was funny. Thanks for the link.

Feathers11 thanked Fun2BHere
  • arcy_gw
    last month

Best way to try peeps is let them go stale--hard. Roast them like marshmallows over an open fire. The sugar carmelizes. BE CAREFUL do not catch a falling flaming peep!! The caramelized sugar sticks to skin!!! ouch. We've only purchased the bunnies after Easter for 90% off...for roasting....until last year when I got them for my table decor in the pictures above.

• terezosa / terriks
    last month

Here are some ideas 😄

Feathers11 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    29 days ago

Yes, tell Grandma something like, "The Peeps now days have gotten too sweet for our taste, save your money, we don't eat them much at all anymore".

Feathers11 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • hhireno
    29 days ago

From my experience, saying the above will not work, but that doesn’t mean they can’t try. Maybe their Grandma isn’t locked into her tradition, and won’t take offense. Only Feathers knows if that’s worth trying.

Feathers11 thanked hhireno
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I can eat Peeps in a pinch, but my klassy candy of choice is Circus Peanuts, in production since the 1800s, and still edible from that era.

What't not to love about a candy shaped like a peanut, colored like an orange, and flavored like a banana?

My kids are scandalized that I like these. I get myself a bag every 10 years or so.

Feathers11 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • HU-163897337
    29 days ago

Are there any churches in the area or other groups having egg hunts you could donate the peeps to? Or friends with kids/grandkids?

Feathers11 thanked HU-163897337
  • barncatz
    29 days ago

Ter, those are hysterical! Although the pincushion made me wince 😆

Feathers11 thanked barncatz
  • Sueb20
    29 days ago

I give my kids peeps because I know they don’t like them…then they give them back to me. JK I haven’t done that in years but I used to. Usually I buy myself a little 4-pack (it can be hard to find an OG basic 4-pack) once a year — only at Easter. Peeps don’t belong in Christmas.

My other Easter Vice is spiced jelly beans. I bought two bags ”for decoration” in a couple of bowls in the house. Um, they are almost gone now. Detox starts on Mon.

DH has a thing for Circus Peanuts, too! Or he used to. When we were first married I would get them for his xmas stocking.

I have three ”kids” here for Easter (two of my own and one BF, who has now been here for 3 or 4 Easters). Ages 23-30. I still do baskets but the baskets are gift bags and the treats range from Poptarts to fancy dark chocolate, plus a new spring sweater for one, an Uber gift card for DS who doesn’t drive, etc…

• bpath
    29 days ago

Oh, I used to love Circus Peanuts. But once, I was probably 13, I bought myself a bag and ate half in an afternoon. I have never eaten them since. Aversion therapy!

My favorite Easter candy is Smucker’s jelly beans, but i think they don’t make them anymore. I’m so disappointed.

Feathers11 thanked bpath
  • teeda
    29 days ago

I loved Circus Peanuts when I was young. They were also my grandfather's favorite treat, and he lived to 104. Maybe they're a secret super food, lol.

Feathers11 thanked teeda
  • HU-23972413
    29 days ago

Check out the 17th Annual Peep Show in Westminster, MD. Such creative uses of the Peeps. Was there quite a few years ago and still get a smile remembering some of the very creative art.

https://allevents.in/westminster/200026107647123?ref=sharer

Maybe one of the artists would love your supply - depending on where you are.

Feathers11 thanked HU-23972413
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Why do they give the Peeps to you? Couldn't they just as easily give them to someone who would actually appreciate them?

I'm with those suggesting giving them away. They might make somebody very happy, regardless of all the sugar.

Feathers11 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Oakley
    28 days ago

Never had a Peep. If it's not covered in a big chocolate cream egg with Cadbury written on the wrapper, I won't eat it.

I do remember Circus Peanuts, they were good!

Feathers11 thanked Oakley
  • Kswl
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Loathe Peeps and would not give them to a junkyard dog 🤢 Gummy bears, OTOH…..is there anything in the world better than Albanese gummy bears? In a gummy bear throw down I would emerge victorious! (We all have our little ways, don’t we?)

Feathers11 thanked Kswl
  • Feathers11
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I have never had a Circus Peanut. And if their flavor is banana, I never will. I don't care for artificial banana flavoring.

So, Grandma and the Peeps... the siblings have all addressed the sugar issue with her at some point in time. We are all conscientious about sugar consumption among our kids. Grandma has always taken pride in being an outlaw and spoiling her grandkids in ways that sometimes defy the parents' wishes. This is a whole other matter, and I'm not inclined to address an issue that will fall on deaf ears. My adult kids are among the oldest grandkids, and the fact that 75 of the original 80 Peeps are still sitting on the counter, even though said kids have been here the past few days, is a good thing to me. (My oldest scarfed down 5 yesterday, and he's probably had his fill.)

I won't even bother donating them or giving them away. Come Monday, however many are left will go in the trash. I'm the Scrooge of Easter, I guess.

• Ally De
    28 days ago

We do indeed all have our little ways KSWL. Wise words.

Feathers, I understand exactly what you mean about Grandma and The Peeps. (Sounds like a good name for a rockband! 😆 ) I'd leave it alone too. Grandma likely knows, and even if she doesn't it brings her joy to spoil them. If the worst outcome is that you throw away a few dollars of candy🤷‍♀️

Feathers11 thanked Ally De
  • jill302
    28 days ago

Love the idea mentioned above about Peep diorama competition, too fun. Great craft idea for those with grandkids the right age. Yes, I am a weirdo.

Feathers11 thanked jill302
  • Sueb20
    28 days ago

Ks, I’ll trade my gummy bears for your peeps tomorrow morning. 🐰

• Oakley
    28 days ago

Just sayin'....

Feathers11 thanked Oakley
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    28 days ago

I used to love Peeps - and marshmallows. I don't eat refined sugar any more, or I'd still enjoy eating them. I liked keeping Peeps in the freezer, which makes them chewier.

Cadbury eggs not so much 😏

And most definitely never a fan of circus peanuts!

• Olychick
    28 days ago

I've had no contact with/about peeps but looking at this thread...so I don't know why this popped up on my FB today. Not sure if it's a joke or not ( I guess it is; some of the comments are pretty funny):

Shrinking peeps in salad spinner

I didn't read carefully all the posts, but was surprised I didn't see my favorite Peeps activity. Putting them in the microwave and watching them grow into grotesque creatures!

Feathers11 thanked Olychick
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    28 days ago

Ooh - I forgot about that trick - you can do it with bar soap too, but it makes your microwave smell like soap.

• Olychick
    28 days ago

And you can't eat the soap when you're finished!

Feathers11 thanked Olychick
  • Kswl
    28 days ago

Ks, I’ll trade my gummy bears for your peeps tomorrow morning.

SueB it’s a deal!

Feathers11 thanked Kswl
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    27 days ago

Ha - just saw this and thought of this thread 😀

• Lars
    27 days ago

I think Peeps are an East Coast & Midwest thing - I've never had them, and I've never seen them. If they are anything like marshmallows, I would not like them. I've also never had s'mores.

• barncatz
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

OK, my dog has an Instagram. She has also been in a cone due to eye surgery and has garnered much sympathy from her followers (other dogs, 1 bird). This was her Easter post. It's hard to see here but you guys gave me the idea to wrap peeps in little plastic cones (roughly made from a plastic bakery container). Sorry this upload is so blurry but their little peepin' heads are each wrapped in a cone. Thanks! Happy Peepster!

• Sueb20
    27 days ago

My sweet baby girl (age: 23) gave me an Easter gift!

In case anyone doubted my love for Peeps. 🤣🤣

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    27 days ago

They ARE marshmallows, Lars - sugar coated marshmallows 😀