Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_hish

LED rectangular light brightness

A Hish
29 days ago

I am replacing my fluorescent rectangular kitchen light with an LED light. I am concerned about brightness, don't want a blinding bright light. How do I choose one that has normal brightness, don't want yellowish look either. thnx

Comments (9)

• ci_lantro
    29 days ago

Find the total lumen output of the fluorescent bulbs in the old fixture and shop for a new fixture with the same/ slightly less lumens.

Lumen output of fluorescents degrades fairly rapidly so factor that in. The actual lumen output in old/ older tubes will be less than the bulbs are rated for when new. To be safe, chose a fixture/ LED tubes that are dimmable and install a compatible LED dimmer switch if the lights seems too bright.

To avoid yellow lights in LED's, look at the color temperature, something no less than 4000K.

• Lyn Nielson
    29 days ago

I'd choose a soft white light 3500K add a dimmer, if you can.

not a white light 4000K

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

A kitchen is not lit solely from the ceiling, or from one spot IN that ceiling. You are not limited to the old shape of the ancient florescent light.

Why don't you post a few pictures of the kitchen, and what you have and what you are doing, especially if more than just the lighting?

Your post suggests you like a warmer look, not overly bright, so I will tell you right now, stay far from 4000k temperature at ANY level of dim or bright. Will be far too chilly for you. Post the kitchen below in Jpegs from a few angles, for better suggestions

• enajasereht
    28 days ago

I suggest a fixture with no bare bulbs showing. They are so popular now and oh so annoying IMO.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    28 days ago

I like 4000K but you could do 3500K less than that and the yellow comes into play. 4000K is bright but in theright fixture you easily get to enjoy the brightness .

• chispa
    28 days ago

You need to look at the Lumens, Kelvin and CRI of any fixture you are considering.

• M Miller
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

"don't want a blinding bright light"

Then do not get 4000k LED bulbs. The 4000k would give you the "blinding bright light" you said you don't want. Get LED bulbs at 3000-3500k. And, install dimmer switches so that you can control the brightness. A dimmer switch is not expensive, and you can install it while you install the light.

• chispa
    28 days ago

I have 3500K lighting throughout my house. They are harder to find, but worth the effort.

• ci_lantro
    28 days ago

If you are replacing with a linear LED fixture that uses T-8 tubes, you should be aware that you can buy 'color selectable' LED T-8's. You can choose what color temperature you like after installing them.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/categories/color-selectable-t8-led-tube-lights-replacement?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZmwBhD8ARIsAH4v1gWZQS03xeQPsfBT_-aRrUAj9YH1UmpzitTu9yWuWKi64HFB1DcbBAIaAvyAEALw_wcB

A couple of other thoughts--If you currently have a 4 tube fluorescent, you could replace with a 2 or 3 tube LED as another way to control lumen output. (As well checking the lumen output of several brands of LED's. Lumen output does vary from brand/ type to brand/ type.)

Basically, you need to know the square footage of the kitchen and find the recommended lumens per square foot for a kitchen. Calculate the lumen output of the fixture tubes that you currently have. This will give you an idea of what you have and how to replicate it. Do you have dark floors/ cabinets/ countertops/ black appliances? A lot of windows that turn into black holes at night? Or is the space & furnishings midtone or very light? Do you have just enough light now or do you wish it was a bit brighter?

Personally, I am a native SunBelter living in Wisconsin. Short winter days, lots of cloudy/ overcast days. SAD & I are well acquainted. I abhor 'yellow light'. Would not have any light less than 4000K in my house.