Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudiann

painting some paint on exterior

My last comment didn’t have pics. I’m trying again. I want to try the effect of the first picture on my house-the second photo. What applicator would I use to apply the paint for this effect?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

Take a look at Romabio limewash. Here's one example taken from their website gallery"

https://romabio.com/gallery/

• Claudianne Young
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks! I don’t want that much coverage though. I’d like more of the brick to show. I’ve got the paint. I just don’t know what to dab it on with. I’m afraid of drips.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Regular latex paint won’t give you the effect shown in the pictures, you want Romabio or a similar mineral paint made for this. Lots of videos online how to apply it to get the desired coverage.

• Sigrid
    last month

It's worth noting that your inspo pic has red brick and your house has gray brick. It will look quite different.

• Debbie Downer
    last month

You can have any degree of coverage you want - the idea in using Romabio (or any mineral based potassium silicate paint - Keim, Beeck, and limeworks.us are other US co's) is that these are appropriate for brick and masonry, while regular acrylic housepaint can cause damage to brick by trapping water vapor behind the paint film. Kinda looks like paint that wore off (sill more worn off like rain would hit it). Or someone was quite skilled in recreating that effect with a brush.

• Debbie Klausing
    last month

Is it the same as German Schmear maybe? Definitely get advice from paint store, etc.

• cat_ky
    29 days ago

Your house already looks better than the inspiration picture. To me, the inspriration picture looks like paint is peeling off and needs a new paint job. However, if that is the look you really want, yes, you do need to use special paint for that. Regular paint should not ever be used on brick. Romabio is the brand, that is most popular for brick.

• Claudianne Young
    Original Author
    29 days ago

My brick has a lot of white highlights that I think have been weathered off . I can see what it once looked like in places such as under the eaves. I was really thinking of just highlighting those places on the brick, not a full coverage. I’m definitely going to do more research. The one video I watched on Romabio they put in on then used a hose to wash it off in places. I don’t want to do that. I’m really wanting to control the application more closely.

• Debbie Downer
    28 days ago

There are other ways to apply Romabio and different types that give different effects. I would suggest doing more research and experimentation on something besides your house and if you are not artistically inclined, maybe skip it altogether - occasionally we see on this forum painted brick jobs gone terribly wrong. How old is this house - it really is a beautiful brick and nothing like what people usually object to. Has it been washed lately? Use appropriate cleaner and avoid power washing if brick is very old and fragile. I used D/2 Biological Solution on my 100yr old concrete house - couldnt believe the dirt and ALGAE that came out of it. It looked so much cleaner and brighter decided just to put clear matte mineral coat on it.

• brendadallas
    28 days ago

Last house (no pictures) the brick mason used peices of carpet to smear. He could take off or add more as needed

• cat_ky
    27 days ago

The house does need cleaning, even if you decide to paint it (hoping you dont). Give it a good cleaning, and maybe you will like it just like it is.